What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

Tallow 8923 perfection.

PXL_20240317_234143432.PORTRAIT.jpg

I made a rule that I wouldn’t buy any more soaps or creams until I finished one, but I decided to break that rule when I found myself looking at a shelf that had three remaining pucks of tallow MFW in the ceramic dish. I’m looking forward to trying this soap for the first time.
Agreed, MWF likes a heavy load with a barely damp brush and lots of building before much water is added, in my experience.

Last edited:
Fortunately, I have a stock of tallow versions, so the impact won't hit me for years, but it was still disappointing news. I know there are many who place an importance on vegan ingredients. I respect their choice but don't share their motivation. Palm oil demand is threatening the survival of orangutans, so I wouldn't consider the palm oil version an ethical win. I guess this will motivate me to explore more artisan soaps with tallow.

Can I just say how much I enjoy the fact that this thread is still cooking nearly a year later? Real dedication.
I find it usually takes between about 18 months and upwards of several years, for the average member to get over the travesty of tallow removal from a classic soap.

We could be halfway through the grieving process! (I guess there's six stages now). Looks like the main curve of this lot are in the bargaining phase.

I've lost track of the conversation after 86 pages of replies over the months, so apologies if this was already addressed - did we ever find out if they gave an official excuse for removing the tallow? Was it to appease the vegan religion, or cost, or adequate supply, or... ?

I've lost track of the conversation after 86 pages of replies over the months, so apologies if this was already addressed - did we ever find out if they gave an official excuse for removing the tallow? Was it to appease the vegan religion, or cost, or adequate supply, or... ?

I think the working theory is that tallow availability for soapmaking is limited due the demand for manufacturing aviation biofuels.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think the working theory is that tallow availability for soapmaking is limited due the demand for manufacturing aviation biofuels.
That is what I thought but I do not understand why there is apparently still a ready availability of tallow to produce hand and bath soaps, including apparently by Mitchell's. Seemingly it is only shave soaps for which tallow is severly limited or prohibitively expensive.

I sometimes wonder if it’s due to activists rights groups becoming involved. Companies don’t want to be perceived as not caring or in tune with current thoughts or trends. Also younger management seems to be solely based on profit, not what customers want or are accustomed to. I worked for a company that would gobble up the competition. My saying was that they just made a great company good. All the products would be diluted in quality to meet profit margins.

I miss the scent and performance of the the original. MWF has a real following, brand loyalty, location, all the things a business works years to build. The new formulation was performed poorly enough to make me angry.

Surely, MWF reads the forums. MWF could learn a lot from some of the artisan makers. Hint.

Dear MWF, we are counting on you to sort this out properly.

I miss the scent and performance of the the original. MWF has a real following, brand loyalty, location, all the things a business works years to build. The new formulation was performed poorly enough to make me angry.

Surely, MWF reads the forums. MWF could learn a lot from some of the artisan makers. Hint.

Dear MWF, we are counting on you to sort this out properly.
Nicely said. Possibly why they reformulated the reformulation.

marty

Top Bottom