What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

I failed to mention earlier, that if I have to buy a preshave because the shave soap I’m using is not slick enough to prevent irritation, then I might as well buy a good soap that’s already very slick. That was why I started buying MWF/Kent soap. Before I grew my beard back, I decided to give Arko a try since it had tallow and was cheaper. It lathers easier than MWF/Kent and is just as slick and the puck fits perfectly in my Old Spice mug. As far as Williams goes, the last formula they had for twenty or so years was the only one I’ve ever tried. It just wasn’t slick and dried out too fast, even though it had tallow in it. It’s been said on B&B that the older formulas were slicker.

Nothing wrong with batch 8923. You are fine.
Well... it seems I was wrong. Again.
30 shaves in on the same puck and can say that this puck is not what I am used to. Much harder to build good lather and fast drying. The lather during first pass is thin/dissipating, although still useable, and with the second pass lather being excellent/stable.
In my defense, this puck started OK, for the first 3 or 4 shaves. So I thought.
I estimate 20 shaves remaining on this puck then will start another one from an older batch, just to compare.

MWF Batch 8923s.jpg

Well... it seems I was wrong. Again.
30 shaves in on the same puck and can say that this puck is not what I am used to. Much harder to build good lather and fast drying. The lather during first pass is thin/dissipating, although still useable, and with the second pass lather being excellent/stable.
In my defense, this puck started OK, for the first 3 or 4 shaves. So I thought.
I estimate 20 shaves remaining on this puck then will start another one from an older batch, just to compare.

View attachment 1790579
I am starting my 8923 puck tomorrow. It's up next to be 3017'd.

I plan on loading the crap out of it.

PXL_20240203_150850325.jpg

Last edited:
I am starting my 8923 puck tomorrow. It's up next to be 3017'd.

I plan on loading the crap out of it.

View attachment 1790580
I cannot confirm the batch on my first MWF puck, but all I could generate was an experience most attribute with the 8923.

I loaded the bejezus out of this puck with larger knots and synths to no avail. On the plus side, I was able to relegate this particular unit for brush break-in - brilliant in that regard.

Just got a promotional mail from Bullgoose saying the new non-tallow formula is a big improvement. I'm not getting that sense here. I still have an unopened tallow puck in storage. Should I just try and make that last the rest of my life?

Just got a promotional mail from Bullgoose saying the new non-tallow formula is a big improvement. I'm not getting that sense here. I still have an unopened tallow puck in storage. Should I just try and make that last the rest of my life?
Of course they are going to day that. It's all they got.

If I only had one, in the case of my LaToja Manatialies, I would use it occassionaly and not from srart to finish (3017).

There's an even newer non tallow one. I've not used it but the ingredients look like it could be a bit better than the last non tallow one.

There's an even newer non tallow one. I've not used it but the ingredients look like it could be a bit better than the last non tallow one.
Looks like the batch# should specify if it is an AM or PM soap. Something like Original Formula #### AM, or Original Formula #### PM
And no, #### is not a coarse word...:sneaky2:

No kidding. If you keep quiet and listen carefully, you can hear its heartbeat.

That's the beauty of the Fat!

Don't even bother posting the ingredients list. It will be obsolete by the time you type the last ingredient...

Even before that happens, there will be a changes to UK legislation to prevent sales of shaving soaps with animal based content. (I'm still irate about the blade situation here)

Looks like the batch# should specify if it is an AM or PM soap. Something like Original Formula #### AM, or Original Formula #### PM
And no, #### is not a coarse word...:sneaky2:

A few places in the UK are already selling the new one. It has a new label, slight change to the packaging.

I'm set for the tallow apocalypse though, like I'm sure many of us here are!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have not followed this thread as I do not use MWF but out of interest I just looked at the MWF web site. Incredibly their refills are still shown as having tallow in the ingredient list. After all this time they cannot update a simple web page. The utter contempt they are showing to their customers is incredible, and I would not use their soap, in any formulation, as a matter of principle. It is a wonder they have not filed for bankruptcy and it would be hard to feel any sympathy were they to do so.

I have not followed this thread as I do not use MWF but out of interest I just looked at the MWF web site. Incredibly their refills are still shown as having tallow in the ingredient list. After all this time they cannot update a simple web page. The utter contempt they are showing to their customers is incredible, and I would not use their soap, in any formulation, as a matter of principle. It is a wonder they have not filed for bankruptcy and it would be hard to feel any sympathy were they to do so.

They can't say that no one has had time to update the web site. I just looked and they jacked up the price to 8.75 British Pounds! Recall that the price was around 7 British Pounds (BP) when I last looked at their site around a year or so ago. Suspect this price increase will eventually flow out to the various on-line retailers over time.

Last fall the ex VAT U.S. price from Connaught Shaving was 4.80 BP when 6 were ordered or 5.25 BP otherwise. Now it's 6.25 BP regardless of quantity and 7.50 with VAT BP for domestic U.K. customers.

Incredibly their refills are still shown as having tallow in the ingredient list. After all this time they cannot update a simple web page. The utter contempt they are showing to their customers is incredible, and I would not use their soap, in any formulation, as a matter of principle. It is a wonder they have not filed for bankruptcy and it would be hard to feel any sympathy were they to do so.
There is no description mentioning tallow in their soap, only an old and generic low resolution picture of the product and that picture is not meant to describe the formulation. If there is one thing to learn about ordering products online, that is to never assume things based on images. I am just curious right now, but if you really want to channel your hate towards MWF for this, why not starting with the big amazon which is filled with "misleading" images?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is no description mentioning tallow in their soap, only an old and generic low resolution picture of the product and that picture is not meant to describe the formulation. If there is one thing to learn about ordering products online, that is to never assume things based on images. I am just curious right now, but if you really want to channel your hate towards MWF for this, why not starting with the big amazon which is filled with "misleading" images?
With respect, Mitchell's produce MWF, Amazon and their sellers do not. I would be disappointed but not surprised by inaccurate product representation from a reseller, on Amazon or elsewhere, but for Mitchell's themselves to misrepresent their product for me is intolerable. Given the controversy regarding the reformulation and the improperly labelled product supplied to Kent, together with the fact that the reformulation took place a year or so ago, I do not think it much to expect that Mitchell's update their website to reflect the product they are actually supplying. The fact that they do not speaks volumes about their regard for their customers. If you want to accept that because Amazon is worse, then that is your prerogative 👍

If it's of any interest, my friend used the new MWF and he said it is fantastic. Significantly better than the first palm oil based formulation, only a touch less good a performer than the tallow version, but probably easier to build a lather with.

Top Bottom