What's new

Minora

B

Barney14

I tried for the first time a Gillette Minora blade, while I was shaving I thought it wasn't the best, didn't seem to be as good as the Gillette Sharp Edge I used previously, it didn't feel sharp at all and I thought about swapping it for another blade, I persisted with a 3 pass shave, result no irritation and BBS, an amazing blade, glad I didn't chuck it.

I used my usual and only gear
Proraso green pre shave, cream and balm
The razor was a vintage 7 oclock open comb.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I enjoy the Gillette Minora Stainless Steel blades.

I also have some Gillette Minora Platinum blades that I picked up years ago. I don't think I've ever tried one though.

I used a Minora Platinum a year or so ago and it was amazing!! I have 2 left and I’m saving them for something special. They’re pretty expensive online.
There's a seller on eBay out of New Jersey that I have used. They sell 100 packs for about $15-$16.

I got a great deal on Gillette Nacets also from eBay. The catch is I had to wait a month to receive from Jordan.

This was my review of the blade:

It's been a while since the bottom dweller chart got a change, but this blade gave me the occasion to do that. If we look at my bottom dwellers, it is near the best of the awful. The shave was a well prepped wet beard and should have come off without a hitch, but it didn't. I originally gave it a 7 score for shave #3 but have revised that to a 0, I never should have finished the shave with it. The overall score was a 6.11, it ranks as second to worst, elevating the Diamond Pro Excel by one place. Looking at just the first 4 shaves, it is 3rd from the bottom. The blade's greatest transgression was blood (18 weepers in 3 shaves and much of that blood on the WTG pass), followed closely by a rapid decline in what little comfort it had and a critical hit to sharpness on shave #3.

B

Barney14

I think they are made for the South African market, it's a recognized brand there. So, they're exotic blades for us. Not sure why I would use one instead of a Nacet.
I bought them for a bit of variety to break up using GSBs, I have bought various tucks of Gillette Russian made blades.

Best all around blade in my arsenal. Smooth, better than average sharpness and longevity is good enough for me. To me, 3-5 shaves are good and anything above that is a bonus. I’ve gotten up to 10 solid shaves with it just to see how far I could take it and make it work for me. It has been a consistent performer along the lines of Gillette Black Ninja’s (7O’Clock Platinum), Platinum’s, Green & Yellow 7’s, Wizamet SI’s & KAI. Personally the Minora has performed better for me than the aforementioned blades with the exclusion of the Wizamet SI. So much so that I’ve purchased 500 of them and feel they’ll last me a good long time along with my other blades in my possession.

Again, another YMMV unwritten rule that is the standard in wet shaving.

B

Barney14

As you say there are many opinions in regard to blades, the Minora for me have been a big surprise, more will be ordered soon.

Interesting thread!

It has been some time since I tried the Minoras, so take this with a grain of salt. For me these were solid ’mid-tier.’ Looks like I may need to revisit them!! :popc::popc:

Are people talking about the Platinums here or the stainless steel 🤔.
That was my question too, it seems like some reviews are mixing the two up. I found one listing for the SS version saying it's platinum coated so we may be looking at a simple re-packaging, but I don't think so based on reviews. The only place I found to buy the Platinums in quantity is in SA, it is a web shop, but I am not sure where they will ship to though.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
That was my question too, it seems like some reviews are mixing the two up. I found one listing for the SS version saying it's platinum coated so we may be looking at a simple re-packaging, but I don't think so based on reviews. The only place I found to buy the Platinums in quantity is in SA, it is a web shop, but I am not sure where they will ship to though.
The postage from SA could be a real killer. If these blades come from the PPI plant I wonder how long before they move manufacturing to a different country.

The postage from SA could be a real killer. If these blades come from the PPI plant I wonder how long before they move manufacturing to a different country.
Yeah, I haven't investigated the shipping yet. As for the PPI plant, they are still operating, but won't ship to certain countries that have their home country on the sanctions list. I could go look it up, but I am pretty sure the ZA market will continue to get them. Let's not start another rush to buy out all the suppliers!

8bl4sg.jpg

I think they are made for the South African market, it's a recognized brand there. So, they're exotic blades for us. Not sure why I would use one instead of a Nacet.
Also for Algeria. A year ago they flooded some Eastern European countries. Of course we are talking grey market. They are not for Europe. And they are the "Win Gold" 10-packs for Algeria. I buy them at $0.39 a 10-pack.

They are a hair sharper than the Nacet Stainless. I think I prefer them to the Nacet. So accumulated at least 800 pcs. Can get 3 shaves with a Minora, 4 with a Nacet.

o_O Wow, I would stock up, too!
Grey market or not, I always stock up. In a few months these Minoras will be gone from shops. This is my experience with such products that accidentaly come here. 10 years ago we had Gillette GOAL made in India. Disappered after 10-12 months. Even the official product sold here (light blue Platinum) is now being replaced by Chinese manufactured ones.

Top Bottom