What's new

minimalist quest for the #1

Kai guarded blade mild label
seems to be a step backwards over the regular mild
the interesting thing cant see the edge colors like I can with the heat treated think they call it edge of the regular so not sure its the same blade with the wires or not but I do not think so

unless today was a off day doubt that the guards on this maybe are to much with the blade being more mild from others saying so already
going to swap back in the other and do a half and half tomorrow I think to compare even though the other blade has 4 shaves on it not sure how many shaves I will get but worth trying a side by side to see how it does :)

so the end result was quite a bit of feedback when the splash hits the face and maybe like a rough not so good DE shave in the end

feather blades show up tomorrow so the side by side should tell me something about the Kai guard vs the normal than on Thur will get a chance to run the Feather guards

I want to love this Kai but its not winning over the DE yet :) but still has more time

The spacing between the guard teeth is really tight on these, the Pro Guards are a lot better in this regard. I am pretty sure the underlying blade is the same though, but the blade is pretty mild already yes. Sorry I haven't been checking your diary more often, I really enjoyed some of the stories you shared on Grundi's PIF thread. :)

The spacing between the guard teeth is really tight on these, the Pro Guards are a lot better in this regard. I am pretty sure the underlying blade is the same though, but the blade is pretty mild already yes. Sorry I haven't been checking your diary more often, I really enjoyed some of the stories you shared on Grundi's PIF thread. :)
Thanks
and No worries on checking what I am writing :) hahahaha just often repeat of what I post in these

Yeah quite a bit of spacing variance of the guarded blades with the two companies :)

edit to add this
I might want to try the feather artist club ProSuper blades and the other Regular pro blades depending how this feather guard feels maybe kinda cover my bases if I can get this thing more comfy than the DE which some say they can and some say they are the same of course we all know the YMMV thing is so huge in al this shaving stuff

Last edited:
SO decided to pull out the Henson Med I have saved for my son again from another thread
still not a fan of the angles it makes you use
for my son a one pass starting razor its going to be great I feel and its black which he loves
I also figure the angles I do not like he will learn to hold a angle on a razor well so I hope so when he gets another razor he can then adjust or control any angle he wants and learn how to easily keep the razor at that exact angle around his face
unless he loves that one as they are very nice razors
so I do think in some ways that forced angle could be a good learning tool ?

SO todays shave
did the Henson on half the face and did I mention NOT a fan of the angle being so set :) hahahaha

and the Kai Mild Guarded blade in the Kai
using SV 70th soap

both sides did ATG and some clean up to get super close so more of the extreme amount I would do or to push them as much as I ever would
result was about the same feel or feedback when the splash hits the face

the Kai is still leaving my face a touch more irritated than DE though ? Goes away soon enough but its there for sure

looking forward to getting the Feather blades today and trying them tomorrow and if they do well how will the regular and pro versions of the non guard blades will do :) so much to look forward and try still

every day is a good jump in learning this Kai of course and the DE is still so much easier to shave with but to be fair have not used the straight style enough yet
many do say it takes a bit more attention or needs a bit more attention which I can see with a non guarded blade or straight and do not want to be half asleep or sloppy with them :) but I am awake when shaving so that will never be a issue its more what is the most enjoyable smooth experience

Feather guard blade best shave yet most comfy also of the Kai

IMG_8661.jpeg

Was equal to my best DE shaves in comfort
not quite in BBS though but that is OK a shave I am happy with and more my daily goal the no irritation shave :)
but of course more attention a bit more work with this straight style AC
so I ask myself will it get easier and how long will this blade last
its fun but a bit of work along with the fun :) but its new
the left hand is almost a must do for the left side in areas so getting used to that but its also a new learning curve

for sure had to do ATG and some areas are just tough along my jaw line as example even with some skin stretching etc...
the longer blade IMHO is so far a pro con
great for the main parts of the face but then the detail areas the size is a bit harder to get in such as under the nose :)

my hope was the thing would be so close clean comfy cutting I could get by with a single WTG shave and be done :)
from memory the rex and Lupo were closer shaves single pass WTG as I remember I was like WOW this is amazing but without as much comfort I also remember so that might be a dream
maybe a Wolfman 1.35 or something based on my 1.15 I owned could be a 1 pass razor though ?

so far WTG even with a few passes and doing one low and then a touch steeper listening for the cutting its not going to be a WTG only razor but that was something in my mind I wanted :)

not giving up though :)
but so far the DE is still winning
and while this is so fun I really do not want to go back and forth in my shave routine :) kinda more the truly master one thing kind of personality and do not really care if I have variety
I am happy with my fav shirt (maybe 5 of them to rotate) same as shoes and pants if I have stuff I like I just like that ONE thing the most

Some personal sharing
sadly my dad went In the Hospital for 2 weeks a while ago and diagnosed with cancer
cant stand or walk now in rehab trying to get him to walk again but not looking to good :(
bad valve in heart also other complications
he is 92.5 :)
so been a really rough year so far for me
I know many of us have gone through losing parents but when its happening its rough for sure

Flew F-86 in Korea and became a commercial pilot later on
jerry-box-1-0006.jpeg

For my shaving
img_8889-jpeg.1809612

For SV Saturday
Blade was GSB getting quite a few more shaves out of them with a 2 pass that I switched to
RV Muhle STF
the Ethos is OK for me nothing special for performance smell is nice while it has that clean smell its not bad its more fun summer I guess ya could say

side not about AS for me the Tiger stuff is king for no sting cheap great stuff
the best AS if I had the money to burn would be SV that stuff is amazingly good
and of course Old Spice because its Old Spice :)

figure for fun snap a shot of my resting place for my gear during the day
also have some bins below the sink with extra blades and products and one other shelf has extra soaps and might snap a pic of how I put the SV soaps on the inside door with magnets that is handy :)
that minimalist side of me will narrow down to less but I like to test everything to know its my true favorite
also like as little as I can on the counter so prefer it up and away during the day

the AS wont replace the Ethos IMHO it's nothing special like the old YMMV of course
the Old Spice most likely stay around as its got a history with me and a cheap and nice mid-day splash
the Lucky Tiger will become my default every morning with the Neutrogena and the SV I love that stuff it is the best AS but $$ so not sure I will have it that often would rather put the money into longer-lasting scents to wear but it does last well on the face so never say never
I am thinking in the end I was going to just have one soap BUT I do love SV so might keep top two around and maybe the same for TOBS and then 2 of the Noble Otter around which is kinda way to many for me and my normal liking but I do enjoy them all and they are each unique enough but time will tell if I do that or not
never use the alum block it seems but have it as I got it early

soaps I want to try all of the Noble Otter so have about 8 more for scent
the performance is great so bought a bunch at a local shop where I could smell them and if I had to only have one it would be Noble Otter at this point SV Second and TOBS and Captains Choice tied for 3rd place I just like harder soaps more fun to brush up lather and get in bowl I guess

using these up from top down least fav to most so logbook is my fav of the 3 but it's very weak smelling sadly
out of the photo is RAWR which I like even though it's a bit green for me and my favorite of all so far is the BARRBARR just brings a smile to my face :) ahhhhhhhhhh

IMG_8906.jpeg

Confused and late to the game here..
Thanks and some get info here.
But:

minimalist?​

That is where I got lost?
BFX

Reckon I am kinda a hybrid #2 of @Mr. Shavington desc
my goal was just one razor one soap and a blade I liked :)
but loving some of this hobby so much I might expand nothing like some do but for me
having more than a few soaps is oddly outside my comfort zone to choose from as I tend to only like my favorites of things which is usually just one thing :)
but will be one razor and maybe 2 main blades as I use up the other ones

now I did buy a ton of soaps and use but to test so I truly know what I like and no desire to keep using them when I like something else better same with razors bought quite a few sold em all as I only want to use that favorite one :)

but my journey is not over will be fun to see where I end up :)

Top Bottom