What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Thanks Jim. Do you think this is the Sujihiki? Good knife to start out with on the stones? I was going to order a Tojiro-DP Gyutou from Korin but this one showed up on the Bay.

Thanks Jim. Do you think this is the Sujihiki? Good knife to start out with on the stones? I was going to order a Tojiro-DP Gyutou from Korin but this one showed up on the Bay.

Well they are calling it a Yanagi, but I think you may be right.
Its hard to tell from the photo. 260 mm blade?
proxy.php

Korin shows this

But only in 240 and 270

The original photo almost shows a blade road... perhaps it is a different model. I checked a couple of other sites and could not find a DP in 260.

Dave or Jason may have more insight.

I've never saw a yo-handled yanigiba. To my knowledge, there is no such thing. Technically, a yanigiba is single beveled while a sujihiki is double beveled. The knife you bought is a sujihiki.

Sujihiki's are normally sold in 210mm, 240mm, 270mm, and 300mm. Actual length may vary by maker, but production models like this are pretty on par with the description. Hand made models like Takeda usually run longer. If the previous user broke a tip or sharpened excessively, than the knife could be shorter. The most common length I see in sujihiki's are 270mm. Good knife to start on!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
As for the wacky 30mm increments, that dates back to a traditional unit of measure, the sun, approximately 3cm. That's why you see 210, 240, and 270 knives- they're 7, 8, and 9 sun, respectively.

A simple rule for Japanese knives is to go up one size from the non-Kapanese knife you're used to. I you use, for example, an 8" Henckels (~200mm) get a 240 gyuto. If you've been using a 10", get a 270.

ouch

I've been to the sushi-knifes (sic) store. I'll bet you ten bucks you can't find it with a GPS. :lol:

It's a cramped, tiny little place run by an older Japanese man and his American wife, and they're very friendly. They may lack the selection of the big boys, but some are their prices are very attractive. Once youi know the make and model you want, it's hard to consider anything other than price.

My first foray into the world of Japanese knife sharpening. The previously mentioned Tojiro-DP Sujihiki along with assorted goodies from Mr. Martell:
Beston 500x
Bester 1000x
Takenoko 8k
DMT extra extra coarse
Stone Holder and hard felt deburring block

After watching Dave's DVD, I have thus far tackled an old Henkel paring knife and a heavily damaged Messermeister chef's knife. I have actually gone a far way at repairing the chef's knife. Need to spend more time with it and the 500x stone. The 8k I found too soft for the knife or my skills and was just cutting into it. Still not sure what do do with the Nagura...lot's of fun though.

After over a year, here is my latest baby to come in: a Carter International Pro gyuto 7.6 sun (9 inches) in ironwood and white #2 steel.

My new Cerax 1k/6k from fine-tools.com. I needed a new combo stone I can have at work instead of bringing my knives home. I'm no expert but it made light work of an old paring knife. Its a good size for razors too. £37 inc shipping from germany, not bad.
View attachment 86761

I like that Jim. Have you had a chance to use it yet? How is the performance?

Yes I do like it, it's the new official pepperoni knife at casa del Goose. The steel is very hard and holds a fine polished edge. Its very convenient to dice a single clove of garlic or an onion. Very controllable.

ouch

Yes I do like it, it's the new official pepperoni knife at casa del Goose. The steel is very hard and holds a fine polished edge. Its very convenient to dice a single clove of garlic or an onion. Very controllable.

She's a beauty. :thumbup1:

I love the way knife nuts justify their obsession- why, honey, it's a pepperoni knife!

I'm sure someone out there has a knife dedicated to slicing monterey jack cheese, and another for slicing monterey jack with jalapenos. :lol:

Top Bottom