What's new

Merkur Progress weight distribution (regular vs long handled)

Hello,

I've just returned my Parker Variant because I wanted a safety razor with a milder lowest setting. I've read that the Merkur Progress' #3 setting is equivalant to a Parker Variant's #1 setting.

I purchased a Rockwell 2C to try out/use while I research/decide what adjustable razor I want. I've settled on the Merkur Progress.

After using my Rockwell 2C a few times I found there were 2 things that I disliked about it. Firstly, the handle was a tad thin for my liking. Secondly, and most importantly, I didn't like the weight distribution. I found the head to be too heavy (compared to the body/handle) for my liking.

One thing I read on a forum was that the Merkur Progress regular handle was a bit head-heavy. One person also wrote that they found the Merkur Progress long handle to have a better/good weight distribution for them.

Is the Merkur Progress regular handle's weight distribution similar to that of the Rockwell 2C/6C's?

If so, I'd go for the Merkur Progress long handle.

Cheers

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I can only speak of the Progress as its the only razor I have of the one's you mentioned. For me the short handle Progress is perfectly balanced and gives me great shaves. I've never tried shaving with it below setting 3. But I have shaved with it round the clock on setting 7, which is more than efficient enough but still smooth.

I can only speak of the Progress as its the only razor I have of the one's you mentioned. For me the short handle Progress is perfectly balanced and gives me great shaves. I've never tried shaving with it below setting 3. But I have shaved with it round the clock on setting 7, which is more than efficient enough but still smooth.
Thankyou.

Hello,

I've just returned my Parker Variant because I wanted a safety razor with a milder lowest setting. I've read that the Merkur Progress' #3 setting is equivalant to a Parker Variant's #1 setting.

I purchased a Rockwell 2C to try out/use while I research/decide what adjustable razor I want. I've settled on the Merkur Progress.

After using my Rockwell 2C a few times I found there were 2 things that I disliked about it. Firstly, the handle was a tad thin for my liking. Secondly, and most importantly, I didn't like the weight distribution. I found the head to be too heavy (compared to the body/handle) for my liking.

One thing I read on a forum was that the Merkur Progress regular handle was a bit head-heavy. One person also wrote that they found the Merkur Progress long handle to have a better/good weight distribution for them.

Is the Merkur Progress regular handle's weight distribution similar to that of the Rockwell 2C/6C's?

If so, I'd go for the Merkur Progress long handle.

Cheers
I have never had a Parker Variant. Nor will I ever buy one.

Seriously doubt what you read about the settings on the Variant vs the settings on the Progress. The Progress is not a razor with milder lower settings. Many users accustomed to mild razors have written here and on other forums that even @1 the Progress is too much for them.

All my Progress razors are only the 500 (short handle). Short vs long handle is always a purely subjective thing. As you can see some users like @Raven Koenes and myself prefer short handles.

I have never had a Parker Variant. Nor will I ever buy one.

Seriously doubt what you read about the settings on the Variant vs the settings on the Progress. The Progress is not a razor with milder lower settings. Many users accustomed to mild razors have written here and on other forums that even @1 the Progress is too much for them.

All my Progress razors are only the 500 (short handle). Short vs long handle is always a purely subjective thing. As you can see some users like @Raven Koenes and myself prefer short handles.
Ah damn.

I found the 1.5 setting (the lowest my Parker Variant would go) to be more aggressive than I'd like for regular/daily shaves. But I like the option to be able to adjust my razor to get that aggressiveness (1.5 setting or even higher) when I haven't shaved in a while, as it makes taking off longer hair easier.

I actually found the R3 plate on my Rockwell to not be aggressive enough for me. A contributory factor may be that I don't shave against the grain, and I prefer not shave accross the grain (ATG gives me severe irritation, and XTG gives me some irritation, sometimes). The Parker Variant on setting 1.5 gave me a WTG shave that was BBS.

Something else that I somewhat disliked about the Parker Variant, was the amount of blade movement/flex. I read on a forum post somewhere that the Merkur Progress' head design causes the blade to be bent at a sharper angle and therefore increases blade rigidity.

I also don't like 3-piece safety razors as I'm rather clumsy, so I prefer 2-piece or butterfly.

Does anyone know of any adjustable safety razors that have a lowest setting that is less aggressive than a Parker Variant (on 1.5 setting)?

Last edited:
Something else that I somewhat disliked about the Parker Variant, was the amount of blade movement/flex. I read on a forum post somewhere that the Merkur Progress' head design causes the blade to be bent at a sharper angle and therefore increases blade rigidity.
That is the forte of Merkur Progress. It is what makes it different than most other razors. Rigidity of the blade is achieved by bending (not by clamping a big part of the blade like in many recent razors).

Last edited:
That is the forte of Merkur Progress. It is what makes it different than most other razors. Rigidity of the blade is achieved by bending (not by clamping a big part of the blade like in many recent razors).
Interesting. How would you say the Merkur 34C compares to the lowest setting on the Merkur Progress, in terms of aggressiveness?

Also, are there any other 2-piece or butterfly, mid aggressive de razors out there that have good/great blade rigidity like the progress?

I find the Parker adjustable to be less efficient than the Progress......at any settings.....to the point that I can't get a decent shave even at the max w the Parker........with the Progress I do 3 to 5 and it always works great.

Long handle: buy it if you will shave your head, body or really like long handles....otherwise I see no reason.....

Does anyone know of any adjustable safety razors that have a lowest setting that is less aggressive than a Parker Variant (on 1.5 setting)?
I don't have a Variant, but can recommend a Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, or Gillette Black Beauty. Any of these on 4 or 5 give me a good shave with the right amount if blade feel (for me).

For what is worth, I also have Yaqi's The Final Cut. I find the lowest setting a bit beyond my comfort zone.

I fingd the Progress short handle well balanced so cannot see the benefit of a longer handle unless you have large hands.
The razor is heavier than the Merkur 34C but you can easily adapt to each razor.
Not all Progress razors zero at the same setting but mine set at "2" is equivalent to the 34C.

I don't even know what a Parker Variant is, so I'm not sure I can be much help. But, I can say that my Gillette Fatboy and Slim have milder settings than I can achieve with my Merkur Progress.

Top Bottom