What's new

Maxwell June

Just curious if you guys saw this razor? I don’t see it talked about much at all and if I knew about this razor a long time ago, I’d never venture into de’s and se’s . It seems like a trac ii with replaceable blades. I have one on the way, but the reviews seem like it’s excellent!

Let us know what you think once you use it. IIRC several members here have one and say it's quite a good razor. It uses standard DE blades snapped in half.

Let us know what you think once you use it. IIRC several members here have one and say it's quite a good razor. It uses standard DE blades snapped in half.
Yeah, I’m surprised most here don’t mention it. If they could figure out a pivoting head , it would be perfect for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I believe Phil @luvmysuper uses one (exclusively?).
I don't use it exclusively, but I do use it frequently.
It shaves like a Trac II.
It's a "no think" shave. I have tried rushing with it and still get a decent shave out of it.
The reason I don't use it exclusively is that it's a bit "fiddly" when changing the blade, certainly not difficult, but no where as simple and straight forward as changing a DE blade.
A lot of parts and pieces, and steps in the proper order, with the right pressure and speed.
It may take a few blade changes to get it just right initially.
It is a very good razor though.

I‘ve had a Maxwell June for some time. I really do like it. A close consistent shave each time without much effort.

It is very light. I prefer a heavy razor but the Maxwell June‘s shave doesn’t suffer because of it.

I agree with luvmysuper that the blade changing is fiddly but simple. It doesn’t take many shaves to get used to it. However retraining might be required if you put it on the shelf for a while. The video on the MW website is good to rewatch if needed.

I‘ve had a Maxwell June for some time. I really do like it. A close consistent shave each time without much effort.

It is very light. I prefer a heavy razor but the Maxwell June‘s shave doesn’t suffer because of it.

I agree with luvmysuper that the blade changing is fiddly but simple. It doesn’t take many shaves to get used to it. However retraining might be required if you put it on the shelf for a while. The video on the MW website is good to rewatch if needed.
Is it just an uneven blade that makes it fiddly?

It uses a contraption that snaps the blade and loads the blade into the razor head. Check out the website (I think maxwelljune.com) - it shows how it works.
I understand that. Im asking what about it requires practice? Does it snap unevenly? Line what specifically requires getting used to / practice?

I'm more interested in the specs that aren't listed on their website. Blade gap and negative, neutral or positive blade exposure.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I understand that. Im asking what about it requires practice? Does it snap unevenly? Line what specifically requires getting used to / practice?
It's not intuitive which piece goes where in what order and in what orientation from the get go. The pressure and speed of the "snap" are also part of ensuring a good seat, alignment, and even breaking of the blade.

I'm more interested in the specs that aren't listed on their website. Blade gap and negative, neutral or positive blade exposure.
I’d have to imagine there isn’t “blade gap “ like a double edge razor. This is going to be a trac ii with replacement blades of your choosing but I can be wrong.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's not intuitive which piece goes where in what order and in what orientation from the get go. The pressure and speed of the "snap" are also part of ensuring a good seat, alignment, and even breaking of the blade.
Heres the loading set-up

I don't use it exclusively, but I do use it frequently.
It shaves like a Trac II.
It's a "no think" shave. I have tried rushing with it and still get a decent shave out of it.
The reason I don't use it exclusively is that it's a bit "fiddly" when changing the blade, certainly not difficult, but no where as simple and straight forward as changing a DE blade.
A lot of parts and pieces, and steps in the proper order, with the right pressure and speed.
It may take a few blade changes to get it just right initially.
It is a very good razor though.
Do you find the head size of the Maxwell is much larger than a trac II? I’m worried about space under my nose.

Top Bottom