What's new

Mastro Livi's Massive 8/8 Mother of Pearl

This is a razor Mastro Livi won't be selling, but it's worth looking at; spine, tang and handle are in mother of pearl, it's a massive 8/8.

I'd like to think that that's the razor General Patton would have shaved with....

Is the length of the blade shorter than 3" or does it just appear that way because of the 8/8 size?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The "General Patton" comment reminded me of the movie, and when Patton was asked by a reporter about his "pearl handled revolvers"; he shot back that they were ivory, and "only a pimp in a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry pearl handled revolvers!" :lol:

So maybe not Patton's razor of choice, but still a darn fine piece of work! :thumbup1:

Good point!

Let's say than, that I cannot picture Patton shaving with a Gillette Mach 3 or fusion...can you imagine Bond shaving with one?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good point!

Let's say than, that I cannot picture Patton shaving with a Gillette Mach 3 or fusion...can you imagine Bond shaving with one?

If the Maestro had done this one in mammoth ivory instead of pearl, it'd have Patton written all over it. Not only would Patton not use a Mach 3, I could see him ordering his whole army to get up half and hour earlier just to shave with a proper straight! For some reason, I see Bond as a DE man ... English Aristocrat, perhaps, with Feather blades. But Q would have done something to it so it wouldn't be just a razor anymore.

If Gillette pays for product placement, Bond will shave with whatever they tell him to.

Too true. Remember when he had to trade in his gun?

Did nobody see James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) using a Phillips Sensotec in 'The World is Not Enough' and 'Die Another Day'?

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sorry to say I bought one, and despite the clever LCD graphic displays it's a pretty crappy shaver. I met Peirce Brosnan during the filming of the above movie, and he sure as hell hadn't been using one to shave with!

I agree that Bond must have been a DE man- you can't carry around a strop, hone etc when your suitcase is already full of pistols, lasers, grapple hooks and the bottle of Eucris hair dressing, can you? Besides, it takes too long.
However, I could well imagine a Bond villan using that razor!

I consider myself a pretty proficient Straight Razor shaver now, and I don't think anymore that it takes too long to shave with one, done properly, it can even take just as long as with a disposable - just don't push it....

If you have a properly honed razor, you could also carry with you and use the palm of your hand for a quick strop before/after you shave, Bond would have done it....

There are a few of movies where the leading character at a certain point shaves: Last Tango in Paris, The Leopard, Bitter Moon, put a Mach 3 and see what happens

P.S. In which movie is Clint Eastwood seen shaving using a straight? I know it's not Josie Wales, but I can't remember which....

Is the length of the blade shorter than 3" or does it just appear that way because of the 8/8 size?

I have no idea, but you are probably right about the lenght appearing shorter than average, due to the massive width of the blade...

If Gillette pays for product placement, Bond will shave with whatever they tell him to.

They might say he does, but I doubt they will ever show Bond shave with a disposable...after all, let's be honest, shaving with a disposable is pretty "wimpy", and Bond is not supposed to be a wimp...

What do you think?

I imagine him carry a 5/8 razor, maybe an all SS, flick it out of the pocket of his tux, get a quick shave, and off he goes to save the world...

hey, it could happen!

In Goldfinger, Bond uses a Gillette Slim Adjustable in the shaving scene on the plane. The handle has been modified by Q to hold a tracking device he places in his shoe.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Did nobody see James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) using a Phillips Sensotec in 'The World is Not Enough' and 'Die Another Day'?

Sorry to say I bought one, and despite the clever LCD graphic displays it's a pretty crappy shaver. I met Peirce Brosnan during the filming of the above movie, and he sure as hell hadn't been using one to shave with!

I've basically ignored Bond since after Roger Moore. Sean Connery IS Bond. I will doubtless rent the new one which seems to be good. I did check out Halle Berry in the swimsuit, though.:001_wub:

Do you mean he was well-shaved, or not shaved at all??

Yes, I can picture Connery and Craig using a straight, not the wimpy Moore for sure, maybe Pierce would be a DE man, with his Cary Grant look....Tim Dalton I have no idea...

Top Bottom