What's new

Maseto brushes

Well, a 30mm knot is going to be new for me. So I hope I'm gonna like it. Compared to my other brushes it was a bit expensive, but then again it comes with a stand. My other two badger brushes are:

- Virginia Sheng Finest 2-Band Badger 24mm
- Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Silvertip Badger 24mm

Both are bulb shape.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, a 30mm knot is going to be new for me. So I hope I'm gonna like it. Compared to my other brushes it was a bit expensive, but then again it comes with a stand. My other two badger brushes are:

- Virginia Sheng Finest 2-Band Badger 24mm
- Yaqi Mysterious Space Color Silvertip Badger 24mm

Both are bulb shape.

My MS brushes actually measure 33mm. Big? Yes. Too big? Well, not for me. They seem less big than I thought they would, but size in knots is very much a personal preference.

I have a VigShaving brush but it's a silvertip and Yaqi brushes but they're two-band, so we have opposite badgers, but I think you'll like the MS for it's softness and backbone.

We will see, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

We'll see indeed. I just hope it doesn't have as much backbone as my Proraso Professional shaving brush which is a boar brush. Apart from that I also hope it doesn't smell horrible and that it doesn't shed like crazy (like my Yaqi Silvertip did during the first 2 shaves).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
We'll see indeed. I just hope it doesn't have as much backbone as my Proraso Professional shaving brush which is a boar brush. Apart from that I also hope it doesn't smell horrible and that it doesn't shed like crazy (like my Yaqi Silvertip did during the first 2 shaves).

MS.30mm.Silver.New.Old.3-18.640.JPG

Mine have very good backbone for a silvertip but the Proraso Pro (which I used this morning) is in a whole 'nother league when it comes to backbone.

5-12-18.Proraso.Gentile.640.Kit.JPG

I'm really hoping that my Proraso Pro ends up finally becoming soft and devoid of scritch. If its considerable scritch turns into scrub it will be a terrific brush. It has backbone galore.

Neither of my MS brushes had any appreciable smell when I got them. I think both of mine were washed with either shampoo or Ship-Shape, dried, and put into service. They get a little softer as they're used but not much. However, mine were "as soft as a cloud with backbone" to begin with.

Happy shaves,

Jim

These Maseto brushes are so nice on pictures and the feedback is most of the times positive.

Having competition from Yaqi 2 band or SOC 2 band makes it a bit hard for me to choose. I only need a new badger brush and don't to try three to choose one.

@CobraX

Let us know your impressions when you get it. Hope you enjoy it.

I have their Memphis models in Finest and Silvertip. Love them and are my daily drivers. Surprisingly neither had a glue bump at all. I am a sucker for barber style handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered on the 9th of May, shipped on the 12th of May and received today on the 23rd of May (so exactly 2 weeks after ordering). Initial impressions: almost scentless (unlike my Yaqi Silvertip which had a horrible scent) and based on the packaging I'm guessing this is a premium shaving brush in China. Normally I'll use it tonight.

proxy.php

First impressions after my 1st shave with the Maseto Silvertip:

- It smells a bit more when it's soaked, but still not bad at all
- It hasn't lost any hairs during the shave and while cleaning it afterwards
- It has, as far as I can tell, slightly more backbone than the Yaqi Silvertip (which only has a 24mm knot)
- It still splays easily if you apply a little bit of pressure
- The knot size is definitely not "too big" for me
- Very easy to create a dense and rich lather with it

Overall I'm very pleased with it so far. If it continues to perform/behave like this during my future shaves, then this will probably become my new favorite shaving brush.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
First impressions after my 1st shave with the Maseto Silvertip:

- It smells a bit more when it's soaked, but still not bad at all
- It hasn't lost any hairs during the shave and while cleaning it afterwards
- It has, as far as I can tell, slightly more backbone than the Yaqi Silvertip (which only has a 24mm knot)
- It still splays easily if you apply a little bit of pressure
- The knot size is definitely not "too big" for me
- Very easy to create a dense and rich lather with it

Overall I'm very pleased with it so far. If it continues to perform/behave like this during my future shaves, then this will probably become my new favorite shaving brush.

MS.30mm.Old.New.ToiletPaperRoll.640.5-18.JPG

I did a month with one of mine, the brush on the left in the photo, both of mine being fans, during the March Fixed. I'd say the brush starts off great and then it grows on you. Soft as a cloud with backbone.

Amazingly, considering the knot is actually 33mm on both of mine, the brush doesn't seem too bit at all. It seems hardly any different to me than some of my 24mm two-bands. Weird, I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah I also don't find the knot substantially bigger than my Yaqi Silvertip 24mm. Then again we're talking of a difference of less than 1 cm which in reality is just tiny.

Couple of new ones:

20180626_112705-2099x1189.jpg

The Chubby 2 is there for comparison. Left is a Picasso 30 mm silvertip fan. It's very soft and very very big. Softer than the Chubby but with similar backbone. Right is a 26 mm two band finest. It's soft with moderate backbone sans any trace of scritch. It gives a wonderful massage. Both for less than a Benny. Do who could complain?

Couple of new ones:

View attachment 893486
The Chubby 2 is there for comparison. Left is a Picasso 30 mm silvertip fan. It's very soft and very very big. Softer than the Chubby but with similar backbone. Right is a 26 mm two band finest. It's soft with moderate backbone sans any trace of scritch. It gives a wonderful massage. Both for less than a Benny. Do who could complain?

Really nice!

Would a 30 mm 2band Maseto be sort of similar to the chubby 2?

Look how much bigger the 30mm MS knot is! My Maseto silvertip knot measures 33mm I think.
Yes it is really big by measurement. I wonder about its hair feeling on skin and performance.

Could a maseto 2band brush replicate a high quality performance like that of a chubby 2? This is my question.

Top Bottom