What's new

Martin De Candre

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Wow - I just got the same thing! That changes things quite a bit. It might be cheaper to get it locally now. I just started my last jar, so I'll find out sometime next year, but there will definitely be some comparison shopping. I may have to reverse having MdC as my usual and SV as my treat.
I'm taking a week long river cruise from Lyon to Avignon in May. I'll have to find out if I can buy MdC cheaper there.

Has anybody tried this EDT? Is it exactly the same scent of the the Vetyver shaving soap?

vetyver.jpg

I ordered samples of all 5 of the different MDC soaps today from Maggards.

Being a new wet shaver, I’ve only used Proraso (green) and Cella (red) so far, I’m really looking forward to trying these MDC.
I’ll buy big jars of all the ones I like.
I have no problem with the price, I don’t mind paying for quality.

Has anybody tried this EDT? Is it exactly the same scent of the the Vetyver shaving soap?

View attachment 1796184

I haven’t, but I took a hard look at all of their products today and I’m keen on trying these fragrances, especially the Geranium one.
I imagine they’re probably on the “light but natural smelling” side, which I personally enjoy.
I looked around to see if I could find any for sale in the US and Pasteurs was the only place i saw. They appear to only have the big bottles though.
On MDC’s site, they have small 15ml versions.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I love Martin de Candre's soap. However, the price is a show-stopper for me. If I look at buying even 4 pucks to kill the shipping fee from Martin de Candre, it's still too expensive. You can get something similar for much cheaper. If I were able to buy a refill puck (lighter than a glass jar so logically, cheaper to ship) I probably would buy some.

Bottom line, if I were able to buy it directly on-site (In France), I would probably make the trip once a year to get a puck or two. Unfortunately, I don't live close by so I buy other products instead. However, it's been a while since I bought new products as I have a good stash hidden at home. When/if I run out, I might look at how much it costs but will likely buy something else unless I get a much better price.

The product is really good and worth trying. But I see it as a threat that I might get once or twice. I can't afford a Salt Bae steak every day!

I love Martin de Candre's soap. However, the price is a show-stopper for me. If I look at buying even 4 pucks to kill the shipping fee from Martin de Candre, it's still too expensive. You can get something similar for much cheaper. If I were able to buy a refill puck (lighter than a glass jar so logically, cheaper to ship) I probably would buy some.

Bottom line, if I were able to buy it directly on-site (In France), I would probably make the trip once a year to get a puck or two. Unfortunately, I don't live close by so I buy other products instead. However, it's been a while since I bought new products as I have a good stash hidden at home. When/if I run out, I might look at how much it costs but will likely buy something else unless I get a much better price.

The product is really good and worth trying. But I see it as a threat that I might get once or twice. I can't afford a Salt Bae steak every day!
I've been almost exclusively using a tub of Martin de candre nature for just about two years now and it's not even half way done. Of course I use a synthetic brush so the load is extremely light. But yeah 67 dollars for a soap that lasts this long really isn't crazy

I ordered samples of all 5 of the different MDC soaps today from Maggards.

Being a new wet shaver, I’ve only used Proraso (green) and Cella (red) so far, I’m really looking forward to trying these MDC.
I’ll buy big jars of all the ones I like.
I have no problem with the price, I don’t mind paying for quality.

I haven’t, but I took a hard look at all of their products today and I’m keen on trying these fragrances, especially the Geranium one.
I imagine they’re probably on the “light but natural smelling” side, which I personally enjoy.
I looked around to see if I could find any for sale in the US and Pasteurs was the only place i saw. They appear to only have the big bottles though.
On MDC’s site, they have small 15ml versions.
Fougere, Agrumes, Rose for me. Vetyver is very nice as well, but overlaps for me with Fougere.
Just be aware, each 200g jar will take over a year to 3017. More closer to 1.5y actually...

Nice! I’ll probably do the same with the Geranium one.
After having used Vetyver EDT for few days I can say it’s an excellent t scent. It’s not very persistent, very gentle and refined. I would say it is in MdC’s style.
I’m curious about Geranium. I see that is made with Geranium Bourbon which, I did not know it, is often used in place of the rose scent. I wonder how well it would pair with the Rose shaving soap.

I’m curious about Geranium. I see that is made with Geranium Bourbon which, I did not know it, is often used in place of the rose scent. I wonder how well it would pair with the Rose shaving soap.
Finally I have been able to find a good aftershave for the Rose shaving soap. I had to make it by my own. As I mentioned I did not know that Rose Geranium is often used in place of rose essential oils, because of the similarities of the two scents. Well, I purchased two different brand, both 100% Pelargonium Graveolens (Rose Geranium) and yes, in a blind test I would definitely say it is rose. Very similar to the soap's scent, actually better than some rose essential oils that I have tried before (those were mixed with jojoba oil).

Twenty drops of essential oil, one gram of menthol, for 100ml unscented aftershave, and it is really perfect. At least to my nose.

img_0735-jpeg.1807080

Last edited:
Would you guys consider MDC soaps to be “moisturizing“?
Or maybe a better way to ask is: On a scale of 1-10, how moisturizing would you say they are?

MdC is one of the top-tier hard soaps on the market. Why is that my opinion? because it produces a lather that is on par with tallow soaps.

I have several artisan soaps (Stirling, B&M, Catie Bubbles, Mama Bear, Saint Sue, and A&E to name a few) and they are all excellent soaps but other than Saint Sue, the majority are croaps (Mama Bear is glycerin-based). FWIW, hard soaps tend to last longer and maintain their scent over time. My MdC Original (in the glass jar) purchased over 15 years ago is still going strong and isn't halfway used.

By the time I purchased Agrumes, Fougere, and Rose MdC had moved away from the glass jars but the soap still performs the same. I get great lather (face latherer) every time and it leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh. Having oily skin, I appreciate that it doesn't add any moisturizing as I can decide what I want to add.

I'm pretty sure that I won't need to make another MdC purchase in my lifetime (no Vetyver or Natural for me) unless they come out with another scent.

MdC was vegan before that became the thing to do. And so far, they have not changed their formula and continue to give us what we expect. Kudos!

marty

Having oily skin, I appreciate that it doesn't add any moisturizing as I can decide what I want to add.

marty
So you would say that it leaves your skin feeling dry?

I love the smell of the Agrumes (and I like the way MDC soap performs in general) but the last time I used it I couldn’t get over how dry it left my skin feeling.
So far it’s the only soap I’ve tried where the dryness really bothered me.

So you would say that it leaves your skin feeling dry?

I love the smell of the Agrumes (and I like the way MDC soap performs in general) but the last time I used it I couldn’t get over how dry it left my skin feeling.
So far it’s the only soap I’ve tried where the dryness really bothered me.
I’d concur with your experience

Top Bottom