What's new

Martin De Candre

So this is the one soap that was legendary back in the day. It is also one I never got around to trying. Is it still as good as they say? Given the explosion of artisan soap makers in the last 14 years ( I rediscovered wet shaving in 2009), has it been eclipsed?

The gentlemen here seem to speak highly of it.
A member offered a PIF of MdC Vetiver yesterday, a partial jar.
I snatched it up because I have wanted to try the MDC.

It's an excellent hard soap. The only complaint that I have seen is that, for some people, they find it leaves their skin feeling a little dry. This must be a skin chemistry thing, because I have not found that to be the case. It is one of my favourite soaps, and never hesitate to recommend it.

If you are concerned about the price, you can buy a small sample from Maggards to try it yourself.

Been wet shaving for years and finally pull the trigger about 2 months ago on agrumes. Scent is okay but soap quality is great to get a yogurt thick lather....however I did get SV 2 weeks ago and it gives the same performance in my opinion but with added post shave moisturizing....scents on the SV products (70 & mirto...winning on scent) I got were mediocre but performance was spot on. Get the mdc once and you'll stick with SV as it's cheaper and more options.

This must be a skin chemistry thing, because I have not found that to be the case.
Only from a soap-maker perspective:
MdC is the most simple shaving soap you can make. There is nothing else than coconutoil water lye and perfume. No added post shave care (not even glycerin)
High coconutoil content CAN lead to dry skin plus the missing skin-care doesn't makes it better.
To claim MdC a top tier (shaving)soap is like claim yourself a top mathematician if you can calculate 1+2=3 😆

Well, yes MdC works very well and last very long. But there are more soaps you get more bang for your bucks. The new hard soaps from Abbate Y La Mantia should perform extremely good.

From a performance perspective, in my opinion, MdC is a mediocre at best soap. It is literally one of the simplest formulated soaps on the market with the main ingredient being coconut oil. Coconut oil and olive oil are the ingredients I do not want to see in an artisan soap. They just make the lather frothy and airy in my experience but at least the formulation is mostly natural from what I can tell.

From a scent perspective, MdC is fantastic. Rose is amazing and the sample of fougere I've tried is quite nice as well. They are mild but very natural and original. At least, I haven't smelt any of these scent accords in any other product.

From a value perspective, its expensive upfront but will last a long time. That being said, I don't rate it much higher than fancy bath soap from a performance perspective. It not coming in a real glass jar anymore is a bummer too. Imo, the price tag comes from brand perception more than value. If an artisan made the same soap with the same scent at half the price....a lot of B&B would write it off.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
MdC has been a top tier soap for almost 50 years. If you care what you're putting on your skin it's a win. If you like a soap that's extremely easy to lather it's a win. If you want to use a top tier soap that's relatively easy on the wallet it's a win. It's in my top 3 with SV and Canada Shaving Soap (a new soap, but proving to be excellent). Many people are confused about initial price vs actual price in use. These are the expenses for me using the soap daily for a year:

MdC - $45
SV - $135
Canada????

I do purchase MdC 2 at a time (directly from Martin de Candre), so that no doubt lowers the shipping cost. SV is incredibly expensive, but it's really a wonderful soap. People who use it don't complain about the price. I'm currently doing a longevity test on the Canada Shaving Soap and after over 7 months it appears to be about half gone - but that's really hard to tell. Seeing as it was $34 including shipping I suspect it will be the cheapest of the three.

As much as I love MdC, my recommendation would be to pick up a tub of Canadian Shaving Soap. I find it incredibly close to MdC in every way.

I took a chance on MdC. It arrived last week and I’m really happy with it. I used it this morning and the lather is very creamy. I will definitely purchase another when this one is finished.

IMG_5068.jpeg

MdC has been a top tier soap for almost 50 years. If you care what you're putting on your skin it's a win. If you like a soap that's extremely easy to lather it's a win. If you want to use a top tier soap that's relatively easy on the wallet it's a win. It's in my top 3 with SV and Canada Shaving Soap (a new soap, but proving to be excellent). Many people are confused about initial price vs actual price in use. These are the expenses for me using the soap daily for a year:

MdC - $45
SV - $135
Canada????

I do purchase MdC 2 at a time (directly from Martin de Candre), so that no doubt lowers the shipping cost. SV is incredibly expensive, but it's really a wonderful soap. People who use it don't complain about the price. I'm currently doing a longevity test on the Canada Shaving Soap and after over 7 months it appears to be about half gone - but that's really hard to tell. Seeing as it was $34 including shipping I suspect it will be the cheapest of the three.

As much as I love MdC, my recommendation would be to pick up a tub of Canadian Shaving Soap. I find it incredibly close to MdC in every way.
If you can acquire your SV from Connaught Shaving with free shipping the economics will be much more favorable. SV is 25-26 British Pound there. A bit less for refills.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have used MdC for several years. Given that a puck lasts me 1 1/2 to 2 years with three passes and shaving every day, the economics are good, but it makes it hard to try all the scents. So far I have tried Agrumes, Fougere, and Vetyver. I shall probably try Original next.

Anyone tried the wooden bowl? It is piled so high I am wondering if it is workable for face lathering.

So are both the lidded jar as well as the wooden bowl a 200Gram size? About to pull the trigger, thinking the bowl looks like alot more, but if they are the same amount, I'll go for the jar, as the bowl looks a fright to get going in the beginning.

Top Bottom