What's new

Making the switch from DE to Straight

I have been shaving with a DE for a number of years (13 give or take) but I have been thinking about making the switch to straight razors or at least giving it a go. The thing is, I am not really sure where to start. I have pretty much narrowed it down to getting a couple of shave ready razors from whipped dog but would like some advice on which way to go.

The two offerings that interest me are Sight unseen and sight unseen flawed. I am not too worried about cosmetics so much as I am about functionality. Would there be any concerns on going with a pair of flawed razors? I see in the description that the flaws will not be an issue when it comes to the shave but rather will be signs of warpage or cracked scales, hone ware and the possibility of rust near the cutting edge. My question is, though these seem not to to be an issue with the shave, will any of these present an issue when honing? If so, is there a possibility that it will be enough of an issue to avoid buying?

I am also guessing that blade type/size will be a tossup but I don't know. That in mind the thought of getting 3-4 of these at a lower cost might give me a chance to not only have one razor shave ready while learning how to hone another but also the possibility to try out razors that differ from one another.

As an aside, honing is really not a worry as I already sharpen knives and tools with a variety of stones. Natural and synthetic waterstones, Arkansas, diamond plates etc. That is not something that is new to me. Yes, I realize it is different but I guess in a sense at least I will be familiar with the associated media.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thank you in advance!

I don't own a WD razor, but I can't imagine there will be a problem honing the razors, since they'll come to you shave ready.

Dive on in!

I don't own a WD razor, but I can't imagine there will be a problem honing the razors, since they'll come to you shave ready.

Dive on in!

Thank you. I didn't figure there should be an issue but as I will be inexperienced at this I figured there was no harm in making sure.

I think you are on the right track. I had a WD when I first started out. It was a sight unseen. I don't know the difference in price between the sight unseen and the sight unseen flawed but if it's not much I'd skip the flawed or if you are going to by two at least get one that isn't flawed.

I'm sure they both will shave but relatively unflawed vintage straights are easy to find so there's no need to get flawed ones when they are sight unseen IMO.

I would call Larry at Whipped Dog and have a conversation about what you are looking for and he will help get you started. He is very easy to work with and goes out of his way for beginners. :thumbup:

Thanks, I will do that.

I think you are on the right track. I had a WD when I first started out. It was a sight unseen. I don't know the difference in price between the sight unseen and the sight unseen flawed but if it's not much I'd skip the flawed or if you are going to by two at least get one that isn't flawed.

I'm sure they both will shave but relatively unflawed vintage straights are easy to find so there's no need to get flawed ones when they are sight unseen IMO.

More or less half the cost. That said, you make a good point.

Dan sends great PMs to new SR shavers. I would recommend spending some time on the honing subsection. Everything I've read says that honing a SR is its own skill and it takes time to learn even if one already knows how to hone other items.

WD razors are great and Larry is a great guy. The flawed razors are only flawed in a cosmetic sense. They are still completely functional when it comes to shaving and honing. His Poor Man strop kit is also a good starter option. I think many of us started with one of them. Almost everyone ends up making stropping mistakes and marring their first strop. It is best to start with an inexpensive one and then buy a better one after you've got the hang of it. I started with a Flawed Poor Man strop kit, and I gave it to another newbie SR shaver once I was comfortable.

If you want a good deal on a new SR, Scott sells properly honed GD 66 on the marketplace they come with 1 year of honing for $20 or free lifetime honing for $22. I bought one when I started and it shaved quite well. I ended up giving mine to the same new SR shaver I gave the strop to. Most of my current SRs have been honed by Scott. He does a great job. You probably could buy a GD 66 and try to learn how to wrangle it from a razor shaped object into a razor yourself. However, most people generally seem to recommend learning how to SR shave before learning how to hone. Learning how to shave with an improperly honed razor is a disaster waiting to happen.

Once you have all your equipment, I recommend starting a journal. It is a good way to reflect on your shaves and other people will encourage you, answer questions, and help you learn.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
........ I have been thinking about making the switch to straight razors or at least giving it a go......

It will be great to have you join us! You have asked many of the right questions and very knowledgeable guys seem to have gotten you started in the right direction. I can only add, "Have FUN and stick with it!"

In the late Fall of 2007 I sold off quite a bit of gear to fund a serious push into straights. I realize there was a straight razor in that massive lot already but I had my eyes on a big Wade & Butcher. I sold that entire lot for I believe $350? That cash didn't cover what came next. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Enjoy your journey....you are in good hands with the fellas in this forum.
$wm_normal_005.JPG

It will be great to have you join us! You have asked many of the right questions and very knowledgeable guys seem to have gotten you started in the right direction. I can only add, "Have FUN and stick with it!"

In the late Fall of 2007 I sold off quite a bit of gear to fund a serious push into straights. I realize there was a straight razor in that massive lot already but I had my eyes on a big Wade & Butcher. I sold that entire lot for I believe $350? That cash didn't cover what came next. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Enjoy your journey....you are in good hands with the fellas in this forum.
View attachment 708350

Thank you for the nice welcoming! It seems you had an idea of what you were looking for, for sure when selling off your stash. I have no idea what I am looking for at this point. I guess I will figure it out in the future, though.

Dan sends great PMs to new SR shavers. I would recommend spending some time on the honing subsection. Everything I've read says that honing a SR is its own skill and it takes time to learn even if one already knows how to hone other items.

WD razors are great and Larry is a great guy. The flawed razors are only flawed in a cosmetic sense. They are still completely functional when it comes to shaving and honing. His Poor Man strop kit is also a good starter option. I think many of us started with one of them. Almost everyone ends up making stropping mistakes and marring their first strop. It is best to start with an inexpensive one and then buy a better one after you've got the hang of it. I started with a Flawed Poor Man strop kit, and I gave it to another newbie SR shaver once I was comfortable.

If you want a good deal on a new SR, Scott sells properly honed GD 66 on the marketplace they come with 1 year of honing for $20 or free lifetime honing for $22. I bought one when I started and it shaved quite well. I ended up giving mine to the same new SR shaver I gave the strop to. Most of my current SRs have been honed by Scott. He does a great job. You probably could buy a GD 66 and try to learn how to wrangle it from a razor shaped object into a razor yourself. However, most people generally seem to recommend learning how to SR shave before learning how to hone. Learning how to shave with an improperly honed razor is a disaster waiting to happen.

Once you have all your equipment, I recommend starting a journal. It is a good way to reflect on your shaves and other people will encourage you, answer questions, and help you learn.

Thank you for the information and encouragement. I have been reading about straight razors for quite sometime on here I just have not made the jump yet.

As for honing and stropping. I have been reading and watching about razor honing for some time now. A lot of youtube videos out there and a few members on this site have nice websites, blogs and youtube chans. I am sure it is different which is why I was looking at the lower cost options, so I have something to practice on and one by which to judge if the edges I end up making are up to par. Really, I think I will enjoy honing more than shaving. I feel the same way about sharpening my tools and my Japanese knives.

Oh, and the suggestion of a journal sounds great. I really like that idea.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Really, I think I will enjoy honing more than shaving.
I feel the same way. I love trying new stones or new techniques to see what kind of edge I can get. When you really nail a great edge on a straight it's a wonderful feeling.

What kind of Arkansas stones do you have?

I feel the same way. I love trying new stones or new techniques to see what kind of edge I can get. When you really nail a great edge on a straight it's a wonderful feeling.

What kind of Arkansas stones do you have?

Nothing special, soft, hard and black stones. My wife got them for me as a gift a few years back from Best when I had mentioned Arkansas stones in passing. They don't see a whole lot of use but they remind me of my grandfather, who showed me how to sharpen when I started hunting years back.

For kitchen knives I usually use Jnats and for my folders shapton glass.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/495257-Want-to-try-a-straight-razor

Check out this thread. Lots of us, including myself, have done and are doing this. Read through the thread and the shave journals and many of your questions will be answered.

Thank you, I will check it out!

Well, your years shaving with a DE have already taught you the most important thing - good prep.

Shaving with a straight can seem intimidating, but it's not nearly as hard as it looks - mind your angles, respect the blade and be patient.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Welcome and just ask if you need help or encouragement. Both shaving with and honing a straight are acquired skills, like riding a bicycle or driving a car, all it takes is practice. If you need honing help, I'll be glad to help out.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom