What's new

Make a soap slicker

I have a homemade soap that I love the scent of. It makes a decent lather but doesnt seem to have a good slickness to it. Is there anything I can do to add in a slickness to the soap. I have about 8oz of this soap and cant afford to buy new soaps so I have to keep using this.

Also I have a puck of blades grim smolder soap that came with a coffee cup I bought. Is blades grim soap any good.

If you can't find it at Walmart try a drugstore. I think it costs about $5 for a bottle. Not sure if it would work but if you could find shea butter. You will find it in a lot of shave soaps but not sure if it helps slickness though. I am guessing it is more for moisturizing.

So I just made a lather of that soap and added about 10 drops of beard oil. It did not affect the lather in terms of lather was exactly the same froth was alot like the barbasol can stuff. Just a little less dense rubbing on skin it does feel a lot more slick. Is this ok to use or not. The beard oil is all natural oils nothing else.

If it works then use it. If the lather was a little thin after adding the oil try using a little less water to make the lather thicker. Maybe start with a little less oil in the soap. What I would do is add the amount of oil first then start with a dryer brush than normal and add water as needed.

It shouldn't. If it worked then go for it. There are a lot of shavers using a pre-shave oil. Usually those you apply to face before the lather. I am not sure but beard oil I thought was for people with whiskers/beard to keep the hair softer. I am not sure how different beard oil is to pre-shave oil but if it works then use it.

I have a bottle of Shave Secret that is meant to be a stand alone product that I bought from Walmart. I have used it as a pre-shave oil and it works a little but not enough for me to remember to use it each shave. I have never used it alone as I don't think it is slick enough for that.

I'm waiting for the soap passaround so I can try some soaps and then be able to buy some that I like.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Couple drops of glycerin; couple drops castor oil - but not on the whole thing. Experiment with a small amount. "Uberlather."

Both available at Walmart, as noted.

AA

What are the ingredients of the home made soap? If it doesn't have enough potassium salts in it, it will never give good shaving lather if used like a typical shaving soap.

Otherwise, if it's too foamy, try loading a little more soap and working the lather longer. However, lack of slickness is often a result of having too little water in the lather. Try working the lather up on your face and then dipping just the tips of the brush into some water, then work the lather a bit more. Repeat until you have shiny, slick lather -- it may be pretty thin if the soap doesn't have enough potassium salts, but it will be slick.

I have tried over 30 different shaving soap and cream formulas. Of those, only a couple lacked slickness. Even inexpensive shaving creams like Cremo and Kiss My Face have excellent slickness. Purchase one of these and add a dollop to your lather bowl or brush.

If you cannot afford to purchase shaving soaps, purchase bars of Yardley of London bar soap with Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E. Amazon sells eight bars, more than two pounds of soap, for $12.58. That should be sufficient for a 2-3 years of shaving. The lather is not as luxurious as a top shaving soap, but it is very slick and the post-shave feel is quite good.

I have a homemade soap that I love the scent of. It makes a decent lather but doesnt seem to have a good slickness to it. Is there anything I can do to add in a slickness to the soap. I have about 8oz of this soap and cant afford to buy new soaps so I have to keep using this.

Also I have a puck of blades grim smolder soap that came with a coffee cup I bought. Is blades grim soap any good.
Get some Proraso for less than $10.00 a tub, or get the cream from Bath and Body shops. It's the same as Proraso green but the brand name on the tube escapes me right now. Someone else surely remember the label it's packaged under?

If you can get your hands on some shea butter or linalool, I have added it to poor shaving soaps, together with glycerin, and they all turned out quite good.

This is a famous recipe by Cyril, french artisan from Le pere Lucien, for improving a Monsavon soap (less than 4oz, less than $1 in the supermarket):

- leave the soap dry for one month, it will shrink to 25%
- add either 6 grams of palm oil (cheapest oil to fry that can be found in supermarket), or coco oil/copha, or shea butter, or kokum, to improve the glide
- add 2ml of glycerin for hydration
- add 1ml of vetiver essential oil for the smell and to sooth the skin
- then dry and mix/knead again, and voilà!

It may serve as a base for your case. Remember to adjust the quantities.

Add a little dab of Cremo to your soap and get a super slick lather.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If you can get your hands on some shea butter or linalool, I have added it to poor shaving soaps, together with glycerin, and they all turned out quite good.

This is a famous recipe by Cyril, french artisan from Le pere Lucien, for improving a Monsavon soap (less than 4oz, less than $1 in the supermarket):

- leave the soap dry for one month, it will shrink to 25%
- add either 6 grams of palm oil (cheapest oil to fry that can be found in supermarket), or coco oil/copha, or shea butter, or kokum, to improve the glide
- add 2ml of glycerin for hydration
- add 1ml of vetiver essential oil for the smell and to sooth the skin
- then dry and mix/knead again, and voilà!

It may serve as a base for your case. Remember to adjust the quantities.

I used that recipe to "dcotor" a tub of Monsavon and the result was simply incredible!!

I have 10 lbs of organic shea butter. I dont have any vg. I do however have sweet almond oil jojoba oil argan oil and avocado oil. Would any of those work.

I have 10 lbs of organic shea butter. I dont have any vg. I do however have sweet almond oil jojoba oil argan oil and avocado oil. Would any of those work.
I love soaps that contain shea butter as it is very high in stearic acid, great for lathering and great for post shave. However, I do not know if adding shea butter afterwards has the same affect as adding it when the soap is made. The only way to find out is to try it. Add a little bit at a time and see what happens. The other oils are worth trying as well. Be careful not to use too much almond oil and avocado oil as they have a high percentage of oleic acid which can be a lather killer.

Top Bottom