What's new

lynn abrams

i tried lynn abrams method and really payed attention when stropping and WOW. it was taking off stubble left by my DE. how many of you use his methods. i didnt think they would work at first because of how the edge felt when setting the bevel and honing using tpt but after i stropped it slowly and carefully with no pressure its like it kicked everything into its proper place. and man that thing is comfortable even on a face that had a slight bit of irritation already!

I haven't heard from Lynn in years. He personally honed my very first straight razor himself. I followed his method when I had all synthetics years ago. I've since move to JNATS with the exception of my Shapton 2K bevel setter.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That would almost make Facebook worth it. ............. almost.
I succumbed to it's Siren call once this week, but only to irritate what few real life friends I have. They were VERY vociferous during the last 5 years or so and are quite quiet as of late, so I just HAD to rattle the bushes to see if they were still alive. Only one took the bait. Pity....

I succumbed to it's Siren call once this week, but only to irritate what few real life friends I have. They were VERY vociferous during the last 5 years or so and are quite quiet as of late, so I just HAD to rattle the bushes to see if they were still alive. Only one took the bait. Pity....

I gave it up two years ago. never looked back. Friends? Fakebook friends or real ones. That's exactly what my leaving the platform determined for me. Now back on topic.....

Are you me? I hate fb but I'm willing to put that aside from time to time if I can really p!ss people off over their own hypocrisy. It's a wonder nobody but my wife and kids hang out with me. 🤣

What I find to be ridiculous is when people say "their method". There is no new method as everything has been done before. There are different abrasives, but methods? Nope. There is nothing wrong with circles, or half strokes or x strokes. I think circles take longer to master for a new honer.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What I find to be ridiculous is when people say "their method". There is no new method as everything has been done before. There are different abrasives, but methods? Nope. There is nothing wrong with circles, or half strokes or x strokes. I think circles take longer to master for a new honer.
Oh yeah? What about Octagon strokes? Huh?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Oh yeah? What about Octagon strokes? Huh?
I found the Octagon strokes gave me a much inferior edge compared to what I can get from heptagon strokes. As always in honing, you have to be spot on with the angles in heptagon strokes or you will ruin the edge.

Reactions: JPO
It's interesting to me to read a few members here making light of a "method" that has helped many people learn how to hone. And yet, a few of you seem to have your own "method" that you are all too willing to share at any given chance as if what you do is the "be all, end all."

Is Lynn Abrams' "method" his own? Probably not because he more than likely learned from someone else older than he. Just like a few of you have passed on your "methods" of lapping films, balsa and other techniques that have helped others to include me. I have actually tried those methods that some here have suggested years ago. They weren't for me but I didn't post any snarky commentary on these threads back then, it would have been ungentlemanly. Likewise, I have some balsa arriving today so that I can try to see how pasted balsa would be any different in maintaining my edges as opposed to my current method of JNAT finishes to do that. I have tried 0.1u diamond paste on linen and that does improve edges significantly faster than pulling out the stones. My assumption is that balsa will be even smoother. However, if there is not a patent on a "method", it's just that. I think we've degraded the conversation into semantics. Lynn Abrams has my respect because he showed my how to get started and I've now been honing for over a decade.

In short, I have an open mind and a willingness to learn from some of you who were here before and after me. Let's not be too quick to make light of the contributions of other past and present. It really isn't very fitting of the caliber (or if you prefer calibre) of these discussion forums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom