What's new

Luc leftover shaving soaps and creams #3017

Update, the bottom of the soap appeared, time for a picture. Usually, it's not too long after that. Daily use, exceptional rinse to get a clearer picture.
View attachment 1749841
When I tracked number of shaves per pick of soap, it was my experience that the amount of soap left at the time the bottom first shows through is about 30-35%.

In other words, if a hypothetical shave soap had 100 shaves' worth of soap in it, you would hit the bottom somewhere around shave 65 or so. I found that surprising; my intuition was that there would have been fewer shaves remaining.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Tiki soap is done. Earlier this week, I broke the ring of soap in the tub. When the ring breaks, the end is near. I tried to leave the tub up, no rinsing (as always). I would avoid putting more water in there so I could stretch the soap for as long as I could.
IMG_1826.JPG

Next up is the first soap that I grabbed without looking (i.e. the one on top). Proraso Green tub. There are a few shaves in this one already and Proraso is a product that I like. I believe the cream works better but I always get good shaves out of the soap (or croap) version. Usually, those melt fairly quickly. If I remember correctly, I'm able to get around 45 shaves from a tub like that. I will continue the minimal water, no rinsing approach and see how I go!
IMG_1827.JPG

Luc

Staff member
Time for an update. Somehow, a soft brush and not rinsing the soap expands the life of the soap considerably. I rinsed the soap for the picture but it’s not melting like Cella at all!
90AAA278-49BA-47C0-A7A1-24C2DA7B419D.jpeg

Time for an update. Somehow, a soft brush and not rinsing the soap expands the life of the soap considerably. I rinsed the soap for the picture but it’s not melting like Cella at all!
View attachment 1785388
I’ve came to this conclusion too.

Seems like I get a lot more shaves than others out of a tub.

I’m almost certain this is why.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
I thought I could, maybe, document my shenanigans a bit more. It's a Tuesday after all. I don't think that I can update this on a regular basis like many (i.e. every day). I also don't think it will be that interesting either since I often use the same stuff for weeks or months at a time. My photography skills are not great either but here goes nothing!

So, other than having a bottle of Osage Rub that I try to finish, SOTD:
IMG_1881.JPG

left to right:
Osage Rub + Razorock baby blue mix in a Tabasco bottle
Proraso shave soap (getting near the end, maybe 1/4 left, maybe a bit less).
Gillette Tech head (Canadian version) with a handle that I found in a drawer.
Personna blade
Japanese rubber scuttle
Omega S-Brush S10005 Synthetic Fiber Shaving Brush, Beech Wood Handle

My daily driver is normally the Merkur 38c. I thought I should get out of the comfort zone and go with a different razor. You will say that a Tech is milder than the Merkur and you are probably right. Funny thing, I had to play with the razor a bit of find the right angle but then, it was like shaving without a blade. I could barely feel the blade. I was able to hear it and that's it. DFS shave after 3 passes.

Luc

Staff member
How is that scuttle, @Luc? I've seen them before and been tempted.
Impossible to kill! I rarely drop my gear but it happens. Since there's no ceramic (all rubber), no issues. It retains heat well. Maybe not as good as ceramic but enough to shave. I could shave without a scuttle but it's easier with it.

It's a 2 part scuttle, I can pull the top part out. It makes it very easy to clean.

Luc

Staff member
The end of Proraso is near! I switched the head for my Gillette 7 o’clock and the mentholated AS was difficult today.

I lost power yesterday around 7pm and got it back at 9.30am

It doesn’t sound so bad but it was -10C outside (-20c with the wind). Usually, a 10 degree difference is way worse. I’m still there! I might take the bay rum AS for the next few days…
9CD960D6-0665-4F34-8B15-DFAC0B81AC8F.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
So, in a new quest to find a currently produced DE blade that I like. I decided to buy a single shave soap. It will make everything fall off here (timeframe-wise). It could simply add a single shave soap to the mix...

I should receive it this week. It should be there when Proraso is finished. The bottom has not broken yet, but I expect it to come apart tonight or tomorrow.

Luc

Staff member
About time you gave yourself a treat, Luc. What did you pick up?
A combination of thinking about it for a few years (yes, year-S), a comment that was made in a thread lately, and the fact that I have not bought anything new (shave soap department) in a while.

The "what" is to be revealed when it's in my hands...

Luc

Staff member
I usually receive my mail at lunchtime. Yesterday, my mailman decided otherwise...

I shave around 5 pm and he rang mid-shave. So... I will use it tonight and put Proraso on hold for a few shaves. This is a product that I know already. It's a big pot (200 grams). I still think that the savonnerie should sell this product as a refill. Tabac is doing it where you can buy the glass jar with 1 soap in it. Then you can buy just a much cheaper refill. Anyways, sending an email to MdC might help...

IMG_1898.JPGIMG_1899.JPGIMG_1900.JPG

Instructions on how to use their soap are provided in French and English. The soap is filling the jar to the rim.

To work out how many shaves, the jar (without the cap) weighs 378 grams. I will do maybe 10 shaves and put the jar back on the scale to have an average of how many grams each shave used.

Luc

Staff member
So, 5 shaves with MdC Original.

Initial weight (new): 378 grams
Soap label says: 200 grams
Current weight (5 shaves): 370 grams

I used 8 grams for 5 shaves. If my calculations are correct, the soap will last 125 shaves. I am keeping the soap as dry as possible for now. Some lather escapes the pot (since it's full), and I try to use that lather.

I will re-measure at 10 shaves to see if it improved (more shaves), remained the same, or got worse.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
5 more shaves (10 total)

Initial Weight (new): 378 grams
Soap: 200 grams
Weight #1: 370 grams
Weight #2: 368 grams :eek2: (I took the measurement 3 times to be sure). But you know, set the scale to zero, put soap on the scale, weight measurement... It's not rocket science...

So... 8 grams for the first 5 shaves and 2 grams for the subsequent 5 shaves. This is upping the stats back to 200 shaves.

I used MdC yesterday at night, so the soap had a little over 12 hours to dry. Part of the soap looks soft so I do not know if my measurement is accurate. I did not change how I used the soap. I take a bit less product now as I realized that it doesn't need a solid 30-second charge at 7000 rpm. I probably do between 8-10 rotations with my 24mmx48mm brush. Lather is perfect for 3 passes (and a bit more). I shave in the shower. I keep the soap outside the shower before the shave, I do not wet the soap (using the water from the brush only) and take it out as soon as my soap is charged. No rinsing.

I would go back to Proraso tonight but... It's MDC Monday so I guess I have to play now... Back to the regular programming Tuesday night for Proraso (26 March 2024).

Top Bottom