What's new

Low Ingredient Soaps Around Allergies?

Hello all! I'm new to B&B, but not to wet shaving. Unfortunately, as I've aged, I have found that I have developed a lot of allergies and sensitivities that make finding soaps and shave soaps much more difficult.

That said, I am looking for a new shave soap that will not irritate my skin and help prevent razor burn on my neck, as well. I looked at some low ingredient recommendations people have made like Mitchell's Wool Fat(Limonene), Martin De Candre(Coconut Oil), Cella(Almond Oil), Mike's Natural Soaps(Avocado Oil), Wickham Soap(Sodium Avocadate), etc. I went through the entire list posted in this post and was not able to find one that would not disturb my allergies. Additionally, I went through every vendor on the wet shave subreddit For those curious, here is the list to avoid: Avocado, Soy, Tree Nuts, Coconut, Citrus.

Unfortunately, I have found that most products will contain something from one of those offenders. My current shave soap is Crown Shaving Co Shave Cream. I'm not sure what is bothering me in there, but it is something. Maybe the glycerin, since it can be soy based? It also just may be all the essential oils.

Any help is greatly appreciated because I miss enjoying my shave! I used to do a nice three-pass shave, but now I just try to get it over with as quick as possible because it has become such an unpleasant experience due to the irritation during and after :(

What soap do you shower with? I have had bad allergies and sensitivities. The first thing I would do is look at unscented shave soaps and creams. The fragrances are often the first cause of a reaction for me and others. The shave soaps you mention all have strong scents. If you are having a profound skin reaction you can buy (Coconut Oil),(Almond Oil),(Avocado Oil) all 3 for under $20. And skin test to discover what you may react to. I would look at Dr. Bronner's - Organic Shaving Soap (Unscented, 7 Ounce) or grating a Pure-Castile soap to make a puck. Just my 2 cents. your mileage may vary.

I have a tub of CBL Granite received in a bulk purchase. It lathers well, but is at the bottom of my soaps to use up list. If you are in the US I would be glad to send it to you. Send PM if interested.

Yes, I use Fulton and Roark soap, which has glycerin in it, so I do not think it really is the culprit. The FR soap just really dries my skin out.
If the FR soap does not effect you you may be ok with coconut oil because the FR soap has it. Sodium Cocoate is saponified coconut oil and Sodium Palmate is saponified Palm oil. You should be able to find a good shaving soap based on Palm oil. That the FR soap dries you out is probably due to that the coconut oil content is on the higher side. It can be drying to some people.
1687196632130.png

Hello all! I'm new to B&B, but not to wet shaving. Unfortunately, as I've aged, I have found that I have developed a lot of allergies and sensitivities that make finding soaps and shave soaps much more difficult.

That said, I am looking for a new shave soap that will not irritate my skin and help prevent razor burn on my neck, as well. I looked at some low ingredient recommendations people have made like Mitchell's Wool Fat(Limonene), Martin De Candre(Coconut Oil), Cella(Almond Oil), Mike's Natural Soaps(Avocado Oil), Wickham Soap(Sodium Avocadate), etc. I went through the entire list posted in this post and was not able to find one that would not disturb my allergies. Additionally, I went through every vendor on the wet shave subreddit For those curious, here is the list to avoid: Avocado, Soy, Tree Nuts, Coconut, Citrus.

Unfortunately, I have found that most products will contain something from one of those offenders. My current shave soap is Crown Shaving Co Shave Cream. I'm not sure what is bothering me in there, but it is something. Maybe the glycerin, since it can be soy based? It also just may be all the essential oils.

Any help is greatly appreciated because I miss enjoying my shave! I used to do a nice three-pass shave, but now I just try to get it over with as quick as possible because it has become such an unpleasant experience due to the irritation during and after :(
Which one of the Martin De Candre soaps did you try? Many of them are also containing Limonene.

I did not realize that about the Sodium Cocoate. That's good to know! I did not try the MdC soap. I was looking through the ingredients listed on the website. The main one I looked at was the unscented version because it did not contain the Limonene. I tend to shy away from buying and trying as of late because I've had some unfortunate incidents happen, especially with Avocado products(this one is also a food allergy) and Sweet Almond Oil. So, usually I try to do as much research as possible and ask for assistance(like from you lovely folks :) ) when going for a new product.

If you have an allergies problem with shaving soaps or cream, the famous smelling allergy remedy killer is the Turkish Arko shaving stick, unless you’re nose isn’t allergic to the scent which maybe an issue for you.

I have sensitivity issues to the fragrances which are added to the soap. I didn't know it until I cut out everything and began shaving with Stirling's Unscented with Beeswax. Slowly I added additional unscented soaps, Stirling's Sheep and Naked and Smooth. I even tried an unscented coconut oil base, Canada Shaving Soap. To my surprise, the coconut oil base alone did not cause me irritation. I was always under the impression that coconut oil bases were awful for my skin. It ends up, it was the fragrances added. My suggestion, if you haven't tried, is to test only unscented soaps.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If it turns out you can use soaps with saponified coconut oil, I strongly suggest Canada Shaving Soap and Stirling Unscented with Beeswax. The two other unscented Stirling soaps have almond oil, but the beeswax doesn’t.

@HarryAU570 , the thread starter mentioned a citrus allergy and negative reactions to limonene.

I did not realize that about the Sodium Cocoate. That's good to know! I did not try the MdC soap. I was looking through the ingredients listed on the website. The main one I looked at was the unscented version because it did not contain the Limonene. I tend to shy away from buying and trying as of late because I've had some unfortunate incidents happen, especially with Avocado products(this one is also a food allergy) and Sweet Almond Oil. So, usually I try to do as much research as possible and ask for assistance(like from you lovely folks :) ) when going for a new product.
Given that Coconut oil is potentially not an issue nor Palm oil (stearic acid is many times derived from Palm oil) the MdC unscented might work. Very few and simple ingredients in that one.

If you have an allergies problem with shaving soaps or cream, the famous smelling allergy remedy killer is the Turkish Arko shaving stick, unless you’re nose isn’t allergic to the scent which maybe an issue for you.

As someone with sensitive skin, I can tell you that my skin does not like the synthetic ingredients in Arko (DDD). It might be okay for OP as I think the reaction I get is not strictly speaking an allergy, but I would be loathe to recommend it to somone with sensitivities.

My pitch would be for Haslinger Sensitive - assuming that coconut oils don't prove to be an issue.

OP, like you I have found my skin getting fussier as I age. I just bought a kilo of an Italian soap that I have used in the past with no problems (thus buying a kilo) only to find that now my skin complains and is red and sore for about 6 hours after the shave. Like others, I think that it is fragrance that causes my issues, rather than any particular allergy - most modern artisan soaps are far too heavily fragranced for my skin to tolerate, so you can at least rule that element out by sticking to unfragranced options.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have sensitivity issues to the fragrances which are added to the soap. I didn't know it until I cut out everything and began shaving with Stirling's Unscented with Beeswax. Slowly I added additional unscented soaps, Stirling's Sheep and Naked and Smooth. I even tried an unscented coconut oil base, Canada Shaving Soap. To my surprise, the coconut oil base alone did not cause me irritation. I was always under the impression that coconut oil bases were awful for my skin. It ends up, it was the fragrances added. My suggestion, if you haven't tried, is to test only unscented soaps.

If it turns out you can use soaps with saponified coconut oil, I strongly suggest Canada Shaving Soap and Stirling Unscented with Beeswax. The two other unscented Stirling soaps have almond oil, but the beeswax doesn’t.

@HarryAU570 , the thread starter mentioned a citrus allergy and negative reactions to limonene.

I'm also going to suggest Canada. I'm not sure it will pass allergy-wise but it's ingredients list is quite short. It is also a fantastic product overall and my number one favorite.

Good luck!
These posts have reflected my experiences too. I am also allergic to the ingredients used to add fragrances to products.... This according to my dermatologist.... I've had very good luck with Canada Shaving soap (also my very top soap) as well as Stirling unscented with beeswax.

I am growing quite fond of Grooming Department Pura, their unscented soap at the moment.. with another one due out soon.

lasta

Blade Biter
TFS Ciotola Rossa, has coconut (most soaps do), but simple enough:
20230620_142216.jpg

This is one of my absolute favorites!

Top Bottom