What's new

Lotus Tips by Oumo

Oh boy! This sounds great. I think this will be the new trend setter. I emailed Alice at Oumo asking when they are available.

I wonder what is different with Lotus apart from Handmaster, Manchurian, and Hook.. I really enjoy handmaster but I wouldn't mind a little more soft tips. That's why I got hook but I haven't glued the knot yet.

I wonder what is different with Lotus apart from Handmaster, Manchurian, and Hook.. I really enjoy handmaster but I wouldn't mind a little more soft tips. That's why I got hook but I haven't glued the knot yet.
Once I hear back from Alice, I will ask her.

Just placed an order for the Lotus Tip Manchuria yesterday. I know most of the knots are hand tied wether they advertise them or not, but does anyone know if this is a more dense knot?

I am assuming these knots will have more hair compared to their other offerings.

I asked Alina there if the knot has gel tips and she did reply by saying “Yes” they are gelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with the "Lotus" but have a HMW and Manchurian "Silky" knots that made some good brushes. Post some pics when you get them.

I have got two lotus fan knots for some time and they are very nice.
Soap hungry they are!
I can not compare to other badgers, so I refrain from saying they are the best yadada I like them for face lathering enough to have bought a second knot and reknotting a perfectly fine Brushguy tuxedo

Attachments

• 5E2B909F-85BB-4E86-8871-8035B24E047F.jpeg
    5E2B909F-85BB-4E86-8871-8035B24E047F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 96
  • F6021C93-37A3-4FD1-BBF8-D01EDA2CE347.jpeg
    F6021C93-37A3-4FD1-BBF8-D01EDA2CE347.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 100
  • 30C56731-D472-470B-A99C-F1CFE90B2008.png
    30C56731-D472-470B-A99C-F1CFE90B2008.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
  • 9C2F5E79-C3B4-4A4D-BFB1-38DBD830277C.jpeg
    9C2F5E79-C3B4-4A4D-BFB1-38DBD830277C.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 99

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Bump the thread, have anyone else had any experience with LotusTip OUMO brushes??
I got some of the Oumo Lotus hand tied knots. They are extremely gelled (i.e. chemically and heat altered tips). The feel is extremely soft and "gelly". When the tips are dried, they are clogged together and very hard, pointy. One could take an eye out with them.
If someone likes the gelled, very soft tips, great, I personally do not care much for such heavily altered badger hair. Its a bit too much for my personal feeling. I know others like these knots (I got two more on hand...).
I got another knot from Oumo, not sure what they named it, but it is not altered, or at least does not show the effects of gelling (extreme soft tips, clogging of the fine tips together and drying hard) and I really do like it. It feels to me like a natural untreated hair and it is quite soft.
It looked very similar to the knot in the above post, if memory serves me right, it was about $55-60 or so.

I got some of the Oumo Lotus hand tied knots. They are extremely gelled (i.e. chemically and heat altered tips). The feel is extremely soft and "gelly". When the tips are dried, they are clogged together and very hard, pointy. One could take an eye out with them.
If someone likes the gelled, very soft tips, great, I personally do not care much for such heavily altered badger hair. Its a bit too much for my personal feeling. I know others like these knots (I got two more on hand...).
I got another knot from Oumo, not sure what they named it, but it is not altered, or at least does not show the effects of gelling (extreme soft tips, clogging of the fine tips together and drying hard) and I really do like it. It feels to me like a natural untreated hair and it is quite soft.
It looked very similar to the knot in the above post, if memory serves me right, it was about $55-60 or so.

Great comparison from a brush master!! Thanks! :thumbup1:

Can you name some of favorite badger knots from Oumo? I appreciate softness, with medium backbone.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Can you name some of favorite badger knots from Oumo? I appreciate softness, with medium backbone.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!
Sorry, but I have only used the two mentioned, most of the knots I use in my brushes come from Shavemac for badger or Muehle for synthetics, both companies are located in Germany.

Any of you gentlemen have problems with the tips of the Lotus knots breaking? I have one that is set in a Shavemac Americana handle and I am pretty sure that the tips break every shave at least 2-3… I soak the brush, don’t rub it on a towel like my synthetics and other badgers, but it still keeps happening… Is there a way to prevent that? Will it ever stop I wonder? I wonder if I should replace the knot with something else… Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Any of you gentlemen have problems with the tips of the Lotus knots breaking? I have one that is set in a Shavemac Americana handle and I am pretty sure that the tips break every shave at least 2-3… I soak the brush, don’t rub it on a towel like my synthetics and other badgers, but it still keeps happening… Is there a way to prevent that? Will it ever stop I wonder? I wonder if I should replace the knot with something else… Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
This is definitely a downside to heavily treated badger knots. And is what befell Scott at declaration grooming with the infamous b12 tip breakage fiasco. Unfortunately if one buys a gelled badger knot it's kind of like playing Russian roulette with the tips imo. Which sucks cause gelled badger knots are kinda awesome:)

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I sampled one of the Lotus knots when they first became available. Sounded great, but it was way over-cooked for me. That was obvious before I even lathered it. Didn't order any more.

I sampled one of the Lotus knots when they first became available. Sounded great, but it was way over-cooked for me. That was obvious before I even lathered it. Didn't order any more.
I think occasionally using a badger that soft is nice but similar to turn n shaves m1, it's kind of a pain to lather. It's so soft that it just doesn't want to pick up soap.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I think occasionally using a badger that soft is nice but similar to turn n shaves m1, it's kind of a pain to lather. It's so soft that it just doesn't want to pick up soap.

I set mine into a handle temporarily and tried using it to shave. Aesthetically, it was something to behold. But functionally, I thought it was terrible. Bleaching alters how badger hair takes up and holds water. That can be a very good thing up to a point, but pushed too far it becomes a bad thing. Anyhow, that's my take.

I'm not at all surprised by @SammieM 's report. I don't have any advice to offer him other than keep the knot away from hot water, maybe try using a good conditioner, and be as gentle in lathering as possible.

Last edited:
Yeap… thought to pick up soap. I have other treated brushes and that has never been an issue, even with triple milled soaps, but this thing is a pain… I was using it with soft soaps and does ok, but it just drives me simple when I see those broken tips mixed with the lather on my face. I really like the handle, otherwise it would have ended up in the trash by now…
I set mine into a handle temporarily and tried using it to shave. Aesthetically, it was something to behold. But functionally, I thought it was terrible. Bleaching alters how badger hair takes up and holds water. That can be a very good thing up to a point, but pushed to far it becomes a bad thing. Anyhow, that's my take.

I'm not at all surprised by @SammieM 's report. I don't have any advice to offer him other than keep the knot away from hot water, maybe try using a good conditioner, and be as gentle in lathering as possible.
thank you for that advice. I started soaking it in cold water and be gentle but the problem persists. I would hate to loose the handle. As a matter of fact I got the brush for the handle… I’m afraid to pull it as it is a two tone handle and it might break at the gluing points… it holds water nicely. It is a very dense brush…

Yeap… thought to pick up soap. I have other treated brushes and that has never been an issue, even with triple milled soaps, but this thing is a pain… I was using it with soft soaps and does ok, but it just drives me simple when I see those broken tips mixed with the lather on my face. I really like the handle, otherwise it would have ended up in the trash by now…

thank you for that advice. I started soaking it in cold water and be gentle but the problem persists. I would hate to loose the handle. As a matter of fact I got the brush for the handle… I’m afraid to pull it as it is a two tone handle and it might break at the gluing points… it holds water nicely. It is a very dense brush…
My suggestion is, given how affordable the Lotus knot is, use it until it's not usable anymore and then find a brush maker willing to remove the knot or do it yourself. Of course knot removal is never guaranteed to be successful but what can you do. All brushes will have to be reknotted or trashed eventually

Top Bottom