What's new

Looking to Switch From American Crew Forming Cream

I'm looking to make the switch from American Crew's Forming Cream to something...different and better. I like that the Forming Cream has medium shine, but I would prefer a little more hold. My hair is fairly thick, and gets a bit wavy on the sides if they get too long, but there's not much wave on top. I keep my hair pretty short (1"-2" on top and buzzed with a 1.5 comb on the side) and do a combover with a small pomp in front.

So, what I'm looking for is something that has a medium shine, with medium hold, but that can be restyled easily. I have 3 young kids, so they love to jump on my head, touch my hair and mess it up. If a pomade is best I would prefer water soluble.

Thanks for any input.
John

I'd suggest that you look into one of the many "unorthodox" water based pomades taking the market by storm as of late.

O'Douds
Shear Revival Crystal Lake
Etc.

I'm currently working through the last third of my 4oz.jar of O'Douds Water Based Pomade and I believe it will tick all the boxes you mentioned. I will say this, though - while it's technically water based, the wax content is high enough to the point that it does take additional effort to shampoo out in one go. Not impossible, but it won't just rinse out.

Thanks for the feedback. I had looked at Shear Revival from Crystal Lake, and also the Suavecito Firme. I just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

I think we're looking for the same thing. I haven't found anything that's truly wowed me over the years.

When you say looking I'm guessing that means you haven't found anything good yet...? Have you tried any popular ones around here that you haven't liked?

I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. The only thing not mainstream I've tried is Johnny B Street Cream. I like it, it just doesn't wow me.

Like you, i have short hair (1-2 inches). It makes it hard to find pomade comments and reviews that gear towards that.

I'm leaning towards getting a few Gatsby pucks, or the ODouds or Crystal Lake.

I was looking isn't Shear Revivals Crystal Lake also, and then came across their American Gardens Styling clay. It gets pretty good reviews, but is oil based... Despite that, the couple reviews I've seen said about 90% gets washed out with one washing. Wondering if that might be even more with shorter hair.

I may give this stuff a shot. Had anyone else had experience with American Gardens Styling Clay?

I was looking isn't Shear Revivals Crystal Lake also, and then came across their American Gardens Styling clay. It gets pretty good reviews, but is oil based... Despite that, the couple reviews I've seen said about 90% gets washed out with one washing. Wondering if that might be even more with shorter hair.

I may give this stuff a shot. Had anyone else had experience with American Gardens Styling Clay?

While I can't comment on the American Gardens, I can offer my experiences with both a wax heavy "water based," O'Douds, and an oil based, Reuzel Green, in both short (1-2") and long (4-5") hair.

With both pomade types , it is undoubtedly easier to wash out of shorter hair. Less hair, less product.

I have American Crew forming cream, it is a nice product for a paste/cream. I ended up buying it because I was traveling and left my Aquage forming paste in my hotel room. I also have Blind Barber 60 proof and Imperial matte paste. Right now I am really into water based pomades. I ordered Shear Revival Crystal Lake so it should be here Tuesday. I am rotating right now between Dapper Lyfe and Imperial Classic. Both are awesome and would give you the hold you're looking for. I too was looking for more hold from the typical paste or cream. The world of water based pomade is so interesting and there are tons of great stuff out there to try.

I have American Crew forming cream, it is a nice product for a paste/cream. I ended up buying it because I was traveling and left my Aquage forming paste in my hotel room. I also have Blind Barber 60 proof and Imperial matte paste. Right now I am really into water based pomades. I ordered Shear Revival Crystal Lake so it should be here Tuesday. I am rotating right now between Dapper Lyfe and Imperial Classic. Both are awesome and would give you the hold you're looking for. I too was looking for more hold from the typical paste or cream. The world of water based pomade is so interesting and there are tons of great stuff out there to try.

Dapper lyfe, isn't that Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen's collaboration?

Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Crystal Lake after having used the AC Forming Cream. What type of hair/hairstyle do you have? I think I've settled on something from Shear Revival, just not sure if I'll go with the Crystal Lake or American Gardens.

Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Crystal Lake after having used the AC Forming Cream. What type of hair/hairstyle do you have? I think I've settled on something from Shear Revival, just not sure if I'll go with the Crystal Lake or American Gardens.

I have thin short hair, I do the semi messy look so I absolutely don't do the pomp because my hair is too short. What I love about pomades over creams and pastes is their hold. I style my hair the same way but the hold lasts all day. All of my pomades harden slightly which is great in wind, all day hold and can be refreshed with some water. Like I said I have Imperial forming paste as well and I don't use it really...

Ask your barber ... they know your hair best and will help you select the right product for your hair texture, length, and style.
No doubt, they will try and sell you on something they carry there in the shop, but it will be a jacked-up price. After you pick their brains to sort out the many products available, say something like "Thanks, that looks like the right one for me. I'll be back to pick it up on payday." and then go buy it at a drugstore or online for much, much less than the price the barber charges.

But I'm of the opinion that using any type of mousse, gel, pomade or other substance to hold hair in place is a counter-productive. Hair should fall into place on its own, and trying to force it into an unnatural shape isn't a good idea. When my hair gets to the point where it needs to be held down by artificial means, it tells me that its time to get it cut.

When you talk to your barber, ask them to recommend a different shampoo or conditioner ... perhaps using another product in the shower will give your hair all the hold and shine that it needs on its own, without the need to resort to putting something else on it afterwards.

Please support your local barber. If it's an artisan or traditional barber shop they may carry some really nice stuff.

Check out the hanz de fuko line. I go a little more matte with more hold and have been using the sponge wax for some time. Their products are good quality.

I wound up purchasing the American Gardens Styling Clay from Shear Revival. I've only used it twice, but it seems to be a winner for me so far. It's a definite medium hold, with low/medium shine. I typically apply to slightly damp hair, and once worked in there is very little hardness/stiffness, just enough to know that there's something in there. Now I just need to get used to my hair not having any hardness/stiffness from the product I'm putting in it.

The smell is also fantastic, it's got a very fresh pine like scent to it and SWMBO likes it, so that's good for me. I don't get much of the bay that they say is in there, but it all works.

I went with the Crystal Lake and it's doing the trick. I like that I can reshape it and there's no crunch, just a little wax buildup. The next day the buildup is gone and I can still get some hold, but my hair feels nice and soft.

Top is at about 2 inches right now, so I'm going to mess with a few styles with this stuff before my next cut.

Top Bottom