What's new

Looking forward to Laphroaig

indeed QC is the best bang for the buck of the range. you get more peat than the 10yo and you get a older feel due to the quarter cask maturation

More peat than the 10 yo?! MORE peat?! How can that be? It is barely in solution in the 10 yo! Any more peat and you'll have to squeeze the whisky out of it!

EDIT: Tried it with a few drops of water. Seems to me it is a bit more enjoyable with some water than neat.

Last edited:
More peat than the 10 yo?! MORE peat?! How can that be? It is barely in solution in the 10 yo! Any more peat and you'll have to squeeze the whisky out of it!

EDIT: Tried it with a few drops of water. Seems to me it is a bit more enjoyable with some water than neat.

QC is younger than 10yo yet its older in the same way. its about 8 years old but since its double matured in quarter casks it gives it the smoothness of a older whisky wile still retaining that huge peat and smoke.

basically the longer a peated whisky sits in a cask the less peat there will be. so double aging a young whisky in smaller casks will give it the flavor while keeping its peaty freshness.

Just brought home a bottle of laphroaig yesterday. About a year ago I found a good array of airplane bottle's to try some different whisky's out. Wound up with Glenlevit, JW, Bushmill, and I think Laphroaig. I remember liking the peat, but not overly so.

Fast forward to today and I have been around the scotch block a little and wanted to go back to the peaty side of the block. Poured a few fingers and wet my lips. Hmmm, this is better than I remember. Added a few drops of water and had a very nice experience with this dram.

Now I have not gotten heavily into the single malts. My list of bottles thus far are: Famous Grouse, Dewars white (one of my favorites for the money), Tamdhu, Anchasomthingorother (not my fav), and now the Laphroaig. I have had more by the glass, but haven't gone the Islay way

Loved it. Very smooth, and love the length of time it stays with you.

I'm glad you enjoyed your Laphroaig experience. I, on the otherhand have not. I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago - after years of procrastination. Thus far I haven't liked it in the least.

I've tried it straight, with a few drops of water, and mixed 2 to 1 with water. All I taste is olive juice. I'm hoping that in time it will grow on me, but for now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the sherry cask Glenmorangie.

Don't be afraid to drop it in the post with my address on the box. I'll gladly take away the painful memory of your brief relationship. Think of it as pro bono grief counseling. :lol:

I think the advice to come back to it in a year is a good one. Pick up the Glenmorangie, go around the block a couple of times, and come back to the Laphroaig. It will likely be a different experience.

I was in the store the other day and saw a bottle of 18yr-old Laphroig sitting behind the counter......$482!

Laphroiag is an interesting Scotch.. you either love it or you hate it. If you don't like it at first, keep trying until you're a third of the way through the bottle to know if you really will like it or not (not all in one sitting, obviously). They used to even have an ad campaign that stated as much.

This thread pushed me over the edge and after purusing the Laphroig "Spirit of the Month" thread i picked up a bottle of the 10 year.

It's delishious!

Laphroiag is an interesting Scotch.. you either love it or you hate it. If you don't like it at first, keep trying until you're a third of the way through the bottle to know if you really will like it or not (not all in one sitting, obviously). They used to even have an ad campaign that stated as much.

Does anyone have a photo link for this, i can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
J...
Now I have not gotten heavily into the single malts. My list of bottles thus far are: Famous Grouse, Dewars white (one of my favorites for the money), Tamdhu, Anchasomthingorother (not my fav), and now the Laphroaig. I have had more by the glass, but haven't gone the Islay way

Loved it. Very smooth, and love the length of time it stays with you.

Auchentoshan? It is a lowland triple distilled whisky, the plant sits at the edge of Glasgow.

I was in the store the other day and saw a bottle of 18yr-old Laphroig sitting behind the counter......$482!

You're gonna cry. It was on sale here in NJ for $75 at Shopper's Vineyard. My neighbor has a bottle, and it is very very very good. But not $482 good.

Auchentoshan? It is a lowland triple distilled whisky, the plant sits at the edge of Glasgow.

You're gonna cry. It was on sale here in NJ for $75 at Shopper's Vineyard. My neighbor has a bottle, and it is very very very good. But not $482 good.

Haha, yeah $482 has to be an error. It's normally at $70 here in NH. I usually get the 10yr but a friend bought me the 18yr. 18yr is great, smoother can get some more subtle flavor off it, but for my money the 10yr is my go to at a little over half the price.

The Laphroaig is the "peatiest" (is that a word?) of the high quality Scotches, but I prefer the Lagavulin 16 YO. Less peat (by a little) on the front end but more on the back end, complexity-wise.

For those of you that haven't seen it, this is a pretty cool chart that breaks down some of the more popular scotches by 4 main characteristics. Probably been posted before in one of the other scotch threads, but LuckyR reminded me of it contrasting Lagavulin and Laphroaig

proxy.php

For those of you that haven't seen it, this is a pretty cool chart that breaks down some of the more popular scotches by 4 main characteristics. Probably been posted before in one of the other scotch threads, but LuckyR reminded me of it contrasting Lagavulin and Laphroaig

proxy.php

Dude, that is a great graph. I could quibble a bit here and there but essentially I agree. A glaring omission IMO are the more aged Glenmorangies (and MacCallans).

+1 on QC with a few drops.....almost makes it as good as an Ardbeg 10.....almost....if you squint! Just don't put any silly ice in your peat!

(And since today is my mother's 55th, I suppose I shall go and buy us....I mean her....a bottle of Islay for the Christmas visit..)

I love the 10yo Laphroaig. Opening a bottle of the Quarter Cask for the first time tonight -- should be great! :thumbup1:

Enjoying a finger tonight. Couple drops of filtered water in the glass as well. I am getting more of the fruit with each tasting of this scotch, leaving the peat to be appreciated after getting the liquid down my gullet! Really a nice treat a couple nights a week!

My wife was in the Scotch aisle at Total Wine today. I am strongly hinting that my next Scotch should be a Speyside malt. This Laphroaig will get me through the winter and I'd prefer something less smokey come spring and summer.

Top Bottom