What's new

Looking for New Pen

Hey all! I have been out of this sub-forum for a while but have been enjoying my fountain pens for the last 2 years. When I first got into fountain pens it was through B&B with the 5 O'clock shadow ink (need a pen to go with the ink of course! :laugh:) and with a Platinum Plaiser. This was the first time I had spent $20+ on a pen but it quickly escalated.

From there I quickly purchased several other pens including; another Platinum Plaiser (different color of course), several preppies (almost all caps cracked), Noodler's Ahab, Franklin-Christoph B&B fountain pen, parker 45 flighter from e-bay, and several other cheapo pens here and there. Finally I purchased a TWSBI Vac 700 and a TWSBI 540 and that was it. I loved the feel of these pens and the nibs which were both smooth and consistent. I purchased these two pens at the same time (special offer!) about 1 1/2 years ago and have since stopped looking. These provided everything I was looking for in a pen; perfect size, interesting fill methods (not cartridge / converter), consistent performance, and good looks.

Since I found some good pens that met my needs on a day-to-day basis I stopped looking and stopped reviewing this sub-forum on a regular basis. Unfortunately (although I am sure some will say unsurprising) about a year after getting my pens, the cap broke on my Vac 700. I quick e-mail to TWSBI (no pictures needed) and a replacement cap was on its way which quickly arrived. Six months later the cap on my 540 broke. A quick e-mail to TWSBI (with a very quick response) indicates that these pens are discontinued but a replacement cap should be available in a few weeks. I am highly pleased with TWSBI's customer service and responsiveness, but I do have concerns. At some point replacement caps will no longer be available but I have very little confidence that a new cap would last longer than a year or two. While I love these pens, they will become useless without a cap and that seems like a very real possibility in the future.

That leads me to why I am here; I need to find a new pen.

I want something that will meet all of my previous needs and be more robust and last many years allowing me to not think about buying new fountain pens all the time (they can get expensive :laugh:). These are:

Size: Should be on the larger size; similar to the TWSBI 540 & Vac 700. The Franklin-Christoph pen was too narrow.
Price: Should be around $100
Looks: Should look good. :tongue_sm (I know this is subjective, but it should not be too flashy or garish)
Performance: Needs to write consistently and smoothly (I use it at work for taking notes in meetings and cannot be fiddling with it trying to get it to start)

My other wants are less rigid and include things like interesting looking nib, not cartridge / converter filling system, etc.

I have been thinking Pelikan but I don't know how the sizes compare to a TWSBI. Are the 200 & 400 roughly the same size but with nib changes? on the small side? Would I need to go up to a 600 to get the right size? (which is clearly out of my budget).

Also looking at lamy 2000...

I guess I am just looking for input before pulling the trigger on a new pen. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it is interesting and provides enough information to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Welcome back! that's a super bummer about the caps cracking. however, TWSBI came out with the Diamond 580 which was designed to overcome the cracking issues. they added metal bands in key locations where the cracking was most prevalent. that might be a good solution for you since you love the TWSBI's so much. they aren't too pricey either, I think $50 for the 580 and $70 if you want it in Rose gold!

cant go wrong with the Lamy 2000 either from what I hear. I don't have one yet, but its on my list. regarding the high praise it has around here and the multi decade track record it has.....you wont be disappointed. both pens have a great filling method too, so if you don't like CC fillers, these will work great!

Also looking at lamy 2000...

This.

Built to last; writes like a dream and definitely not flashy or garish imho.

As to the Pelikans. They are great pens, but not available in the size you are after in the price range you are after. The 200/400 series are smaller than the TWSBI's you've had; I believe the comparable size Pelikan would be between a 600 to 800 series pen. The L2K would be about the same size as the 540 (maybe a tad smaller, but not much)

I recall someone just posting that he or she purchased a new L2K from massdrop (or something like this) for about $105. I purchased mine for just under $125 shipped.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I did some more reading over at FPN and it seems to confirm my fears; the Pelikan M200 will be too small. Maybe some day in the future I will be able to justify a $300+ pen and get an M600, but not today.

As for the TWSBI 580, it is good to know that they are trying to improve the design, but I don't think I want to take that chance. I will still have my Vac 700 and 540 (if I get a new cap) but will relegate them to a more occasional use.

Sounds like the Lamy 2000 is the front runner...

Thanks!

Oh yeah, any B&B pens in the works? I would hate to buy a new pen only to have a special B&B LE pen become available.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How do you like your Ahab?

The Noodler's Konrad is a bit smaller ... and about exactly the same size as a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... which is a great pen with a piston filler. The 92 is bigger than a Pelikan M-200 or 205.

How do you like your Ahab?

The Noodler's Konrad is a bit smaller ... and about exactly the same size as a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... which is a great pen with a piston filler. The 92 is bigger than a Pelikan M-200 or 205.

The Ahab is a good size (on the larger size but still comfortable) but it was too sporadic in how it wrote. It has been in the drawer and not inked for a long time.

Looked up the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and it looks pretty good and is similarly priced to the Lamy 2000. Will have to look up reviews regarding this pen. What would you choose between the L2000 or the 92?

EDIT* What about the Pilot (aka Namiki) Falcon? Looks like it is ~$115 on Amazon

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What would you choose between the L2000 or the 92?

EDIT* What about the Pilot (aka Namiki) Falcon? Looks like it is ~$115 on Amazon

I own a Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil and two Pilot 92's. Of the two, I'd say that the Lamy does a better job impressing in photos but the Pilot is more of a "dang, this is even nicer than in it's photos" sort of pen. I guess for me the Lamy feels a bit rough and unfinished in its body, while the Pilot is a lot of fun to hold.

Personal preference, of course.

Isn't the Namiki/Pilot Falcon a c/c pen?

The Falcon is a c/c pen, but that was one of my "softer" requirements. :)

I saw it on a Massdrop link and was intrigued by the soft or semi-flex nib. This is the problem with looking; my curiosity gets piqued and now I want the Custom Heritage 92, the Pilot Falcon, and the Lamy 2000...

Oh yeah, any B&B pens in the works? I would hate to buy a new pen only to have a special B&B LE pen become available.

I highly recommend hanging fire for now, and setting some money aside instead. Something that meets your needs may be coming along in the near future, but it will be above your $100 budget. Selling your TWSBIs would help solve that minor problem. :smile:

-Andy

Last edited:
Both Pelikan and Lamy are great choices and both are very popular brands.

Pelikan pens are excellent quality but as others have said the Pelikan 200 is a bit smaller than your TWSBI pens and you may not like the size. I have a Pelikan 205 that I really like the way the pen writes. I don't find it too small but some might. I will try and get you a picture of the TWSBI next to a Pelikan 200.

Lamy is also a great brand. The Lamy 2000 is a very smooth writer and larger than the Pelikan 200 so it may be closer to the size you are looking for.

Both Pelikan and Lamy are great choices and both are very popular brands.

Pelikan pens are excellent quality but as others have said the Pelikan 200 is a bit smaller than your TWSBI pens and you may not like the size. I have a Pelikan 205 that I really like the way the pen writes. I don't find it too small but some might. I will try and get you a picture of the TWSBI next to a Pelikan 200.

Lamy is also a great brand. The Lamy 2000 is a very smooth writer and larger than the Pelikan 200 so it may be closer to the size you are looking for.

Welcome to Badger and Blade, and the Nib nice to have you here

I believe the Namiki Falcon will not weigh as much as the TWSBI 540 if that makes any difference to you. The 2000 is a hefty pen. I don't know much about the CH 92, but with the built in piston, I would figure it would be closer to the TWSBI than the Falcon.

I believe the Namiki Falcon will not weigh as much as the TWSBI 540 if that makes any difference to you. The 2000 is a hefty pen. I don't know much about the CH 92, but with the built in piston, I would figure it would be closer to the TWSBI than the Falcon.

the falcon will depend on if you buy the metal or the resin version

the falcon will depend on if you buy the metal or the resin version
You're right the metal would be heavier than the resin; I was assuming he was looking at the resin since the OP stated he was looking at a new one priced at $115.

Yup. It was the resin version as the metal one is more expensive.
Are the metal and resin versions the same size?

Thanks

You're right the metal would be heavier than the resin; I was assuming he was looking at the resin since the OP stated he was looking at a new one priced at $115.

Well, I couldn't wait (never can) so I have a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 sitting in front of me. :thumbup1:

It is slightly smaller than my 540 and even more so than my Vac 700, but it is not too small. It is also a lot lighter than I expected, but again, not too light (I think). I went with a fine nib and it is just so smooth and perfect line width for my style writing. I chose the orange demonstrator and it looks awesome, and I am definitely glad of this choice. While I exceeded my original cost targets on this pen, that is trivial considering I also went ahead and purchased the pilot falcon (with additional iroshuzuki ink :blush:) on massdrop. Fortunately I was able to unload a few LE brushes which fully funded (and then some) these purchases.

Now I just need that Lamy 2000 and the up coming B&B LE.

Last edited:
Great choice:thumbup1: I really need to get me a demonstrator. I don't have a CH 92, but do have a Pilot...wonderful nibs on those.

I highly recommend hanging fire for now, and setting some money aside instead. Something that meets your needs may be coming along in the near future, but it will be above your $100 budget. Selling your TWSBIs would help solve that minor problem. :smile:

-Andy

Here it is almost three months later... any update on the potential B&B LE Pen? How about a time frame?

Top Bottom