What's new

Long time lurker, new member.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Welcome, Anthony. You alre already in the 99 percentile of shavers, but it's that last 1% that's the art form.

Perhaps you should try an injector. It's even easier than a Sensor, and has enough cachet to let you hang with the big boys. It may not enable you to pick up stunning models around the world, but it's worked for me.:001_tt2:

welcome to our group, Anthony! Myself, I'm a very swarthy-skinned guy, with pitch-black facial hair that's very heavy. About the only time I don't see any beard shadow, or just very little, is when I shave with a straight razor. Even with a DE, at least in my opinion, it's not so easy to get a shave where you get rid of all the beard shadow, especially in the beginning. Everyone here can give you great advice about razors and everything else about shaving. I'd say if your present razor works well for you, stick with it. You've got plenty of time to get back into a DE, or even a straight. :smile:
Happy shaving!

Jeff

Hi Anthony and WELCOME to B&B!
While not proselytizing to the DE, I suggest if you still have questiions about how good or bad a shave you can get with different blades, you might try one of the LetterK Sample Packs. Relatively inexpensive, with a reasonably broad selection of blades, it will offer you the opportunity to experiment with some of the most popular brands without investing too much money or building too large of a stock.

Welcome and thanks for such an articulate post. It brings me joy to know there are younger folks out there who appreciate the fine art of shaving. Find out works for you and don't let people poo-poo it; if a cartridge razor works for you, rock on.

I would second Ron's suggestion that if you still want to play around with a DE, a letterK razor sample is an inexpensive way to go.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions.

wow guys, thanks for the overwhelming warm welcome! I knew everyone on the board here was pretty friendly but this was still quite a pleasant surprise.

Ouch,
I have to admit, even with all the reading (researching) I have done here on the boards, I still don't know a lot about Injectors. I know they aren't produced anymore and ebay is one of the only places to get them, besides a trading forum such as this, but I haven't really paid attention to what makes them so special, or at the very least, a popular alternative to DE shaving. If you have a link that I could follow, or would just like to reply on this thread, that would be great.

Tinzien,
You want it, you got it. I'll post a review by this Saturday.

Guenron and Scotto,
I was actually looking into that last night. As a matter of fact, I pulled out my DE razor and my gillette blades to shave with this morning in a sort of quasi celebration to me joining the board. I got a nice shave, a little knick or two, but I'm finding that I've already got stubble growing back. It's 6 o clock here, and I have more stubble than with my sensor. Usually with my sensor, it have a smooth face late into the night. I'm talking 8 or 9 o clock. Oh well, it might just be my technique, so I'll give it more tries soon enough.

Again thanks for all the great replies, it definitely makes me glad I decided to join. :)

Anthony,

Welcome. I reiterate, do not be ashamed of your razor, if it works for you. Frankly, a glass smooth face that says stubble free till 8-9pm is pretty good for anyone with any razor, I think (as I remember, Joe Lerch claims a little longer, but, well, he has spent a lot of time practicing).

As for the Injector - It is indeed a little hard to come by, being an ebay only choice, but you obviously are not afraid of that (there is a currently produced knock-off, but I would not go there, based on the very mixed reviews it has received). There are a lot of models. For some historical info, and to see what different models look like, go here. I have, and would suggest, the 1940s E series. They seem to generally shave quite well, and are mighty retro and cool looking. Apparently the later ones also shave very well, especially the adjustables, but they seem very hard to find and expensive for the especially favored models, and the are just plain UGLY.

An Injector seems simply easier to shave with than a DE because the angle is less tricky to maintain. But that may not be an issue for you, since you are fairly practiced with a DE. Some people find it cuts more in a pass, and this, combined with ease of use, results in a fewer pass, quicker shave. I'm not sure, but I do find it goes against the grain more easily, due to the thicker blade.

Blades are basically only Personna, which are available at the drugstore, usually, and Schick, which can be mailordered, or found at occasional local drugstores. Most people prefer Schick, which I have not tried. I find Personnas ok, but not great.

As for the DE experience, I know it is annoying to order other blades. But the Sampler from John is not that expensive, and if it makes a big difference, you might enjoy getting as good or better shaves from your DE. You will definitely save money if so, over cartridges. And the sampler, with shipping, costs barely more than four cartridges.

Frankly, if you are happy, there is no reason why you SHOULD give more effort to a DE, but if you want to, well....

Oh, and about the cuts. If you find it easier to cut yourself with a DE, I really suspect the blades. I cut myself LESS with a DE that I did with a Mach 3.

Anyway, welcome.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Great having you on board, Anthony.

You can get a brand spanking new injector from Nationwide Campus- there are many posts on here to read. Though many have expressed concern (usually guys who haven't purchased one), mine is terrific. It's just a suggestion, mind you. If you hang around here long enough, you'll eventually get everything, anyway.

One more thing you should know about this site- Guenron and Scotto are actually the same person. I imagine that he's embarrassed to have over 6,000 posts, so he splits them up. Sometimes he'll even have mock fights with himself, which I think is a rather nice touch.
:a29:

:blink: you know i always suspected that. although no mortal shaver could have over 6,000 posts and sell samples, its just too much lol

matthew

ouch said:
One more thing you should know about this site- Guenron and Scotto are actually the same person. I imagine that he's embarrassed to have over 6,000 posts, so he splits them up. Sometimes he'll even have mock fights with himself, which I think is a rather nice touch.
:a29:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Gotta catch my breath!)

Top Bottom