What's new

Long live rock: The Who set to play Super Bowl XLIV halftime

I think their performance will be all the sweeter because the Vikings will have a 24 point lead at half time :tongue_sm

I think their performance will be all the sweeter because the Vikings will have a 24 point lead at half time :tongue_sm

Now, that's funny right there. I like the Vikings for making it there, but if they do regardless of who they face the AFC is stronger so I highly doubt they'll be up on any team by 24 at any point in the game let alone Half Time.

Another rock band SELLS OUT:angry::thumbdown

Oh, I love the Who and always have, but to sell out to corporate America is anti Rock, I mean real 60s rock, maybe early 70s too. Rock n Roll is for rebels and hippies and freaks, and not for Big money establishment. Makes me wonder? And at close to 60 yrs young I find I wonder a lot lately.:mad3:

The literal "Who Sell Out" aside, the band has literally been selling out since the mid-60's when they used to do commercials for Coca Cola. But at least they weren't using their own songs for it.

But their genuine corporate sellout really started when they became the first major band to have a tour corporate sponsored, by Miller, in the early 80's.

It's been downhill ever since. Townshend has pimped half the tracks from "Who's Next" for commercials and "My Generation" was whored out for a phone of jeans commercials, wasn't it?

Even on their most recent tour, it was clearly sponsored by Fender, since every musician was playing a Strat and using Fender amps. Townshend on a Strat has all the excitement of Jerry Lee Lewis playing a Walmart Casio keyboard.

Jeff in Boston

There seems to be a lot of The Who fans here, but I am not one of them. I didn't post here to rip on them, but I'd rather see a band/performer in their prime. Better yet, how about halftime being the same length of time it is for every other game.

I was lucky enough to see The Who in concert a couple of months before one of their original members died. I'll be comparing this performance to that one.

I was lucky enough to see The Who in concert a couple of months before one of their original members died. I'll be comparing this performance to that one.

Ummm, your revelation of "which original member died" will give a very precise indication of your age. :laugh:

Jeff in Boston

The literal "Who Sell Out" aside, the band has literally been selling out since the mid-60's when they used to do commercials for Coca Cola. But at least they weren't using their own songs for it.

But their genuine corporate sellout really started when they became the first major band to have a tour corporate sponsored, by Miller, in the early 80's.

It's been downhill ever since. Townshend has pimped half the tracks from "Who's Next" for commercials and "My Generation" was whored out for a phone of jeans commercials, wasn't it?

Even on their most recent tour, it was clearly sponsored by Fender, since every musician was playing a Strat and using Fender amps. Townshend on a Strat has all the excitement of Jerry Lee Lewis playing a Walmart Casio keyboard.

Jeff in Boston

:thumbup1:

Of all the classic rock artists still playing (The Who, Dylan, the Stones, AC/DC), Dylan is the only one who is like fine wine--he just keeps getting better with time.

:thumbup1:

Of all the classic rock artists still playing (The Who, Dylan, the Stones, AC/DC), Dylan is the only one who is like fine wine--he just keeps getting better with time.

Where did you get your Dylan Babel fish installed and in what year? Because I haven't been able to understand a word he says for quite some time.

Top Bottom