What's new

L'Occitane Plisson Brush may be a limited edition

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think I'm getting fleeced by my local post office, then.

This page:
https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm
says Priority Mail International starts at 29.25, and my guess is that's for the letter. IIRC, the next thing up was a fairly large box which was going to cost more than $60. Incidentally, I was trying to send a shaving brush to my dad and I ended up backing off because I felt I would be paying the cost of the brush in added shipping charges.

10 oz with First Class to India is $14.30, this is about the weight my brushes weigh in with a few goodies tossed in the box.

Acetate has been around since the 1860s and is frequently used for eyeglass frames. It's made from treated cellulose that's been dissolved in acetone. Resin is a generic term which may be applied to various hydrocarbon plastics, Fiberglas and epoxies.

Did you receive the brush? Would be interested in what you think of it. If you have owned the L'Occitane version, I would be interested in your comparison of the two.

OK, as suspected there is no tax on this purchase. I just placed an order for the resin handled Ferrari Red #12 Plisson brush. There is no tax since the original $59+ price reflects French VAT (value added tax) Shipping and handling were a bit spendy $27.36 USD but that only amounts to the original quoted price of $59 + another $17 for shipping. I am not going to complain about that since lots of U.S. companies charge as much or more for FedEx or UPS shipping.

resin red Ferrari & fiber Plisson
$ 49.40 Reference: P955804.F12
An excellent material for shaving brushes.
Synthetic fiber Plisson, handmade.
Size 12

The price was $49.40 USD Here's a copy of my invoice:
Merci pour votre paiement
Votre numéro de commande 1756_142283XXXX
Numéro de référence de la transaction 3B271044D762XXXXV
Montant $76,76 USD
Otto V., vous avez bien effectué le paiement. Si vous avez des questions concernant votre commande, appelez-nous au numéro ci-dessous.
Rendez-vous sur SAS VIKIM DIFFUSION
Comment nous contacter ? [email protected]
029663XXXX
Adresse de facturation
5XXX N. XXth St.
Milwaukee Wisconsin 53XXX
Etats-Unis

Adresse de livraison
Otto V.
5XXX N. XXth St.
Milwaukee Wisconsin 53XXX
Etats-Unis

Récapitulatif de la commande
Sous-total$49,40
Livraison et frais de dossier$27,36
Total (USD)$76,76

Anoop ~ yes I received my Ferrari Red #12 Plisson brush w/ resin handle exactly one week after I placed the order. I placed the order late in the evening of 1 Feb (very early morning 2 Feb in France) & my brush arrived in the post on the following Monday morning. (9 Feb) What can I say? Oh the joy! The handle is indeed bright, shiny Ferrari red and is weighty and solid in hand. The knot is set perhaps 1mm deeper in the handle but feels the same and lathers identically to the Plisson L'Occitane. Of note, I use a lathering bowl and hard soap. My Ferrari Red Plisson builds a generous, peaky lather very quickly. No different really than the Plisson L'Occitane but it does feel better in hand. It's entirely subjective but the brush seems more solid & is certainly weightier. The Ferrari Red Plisson weighs 66g while the Plisson L'Occitane weighs 46g. It's a noticeable difference.

View attachment 549626
My Ferrari Red Plisson & Merkur Futur

$OttoShaveTools-835.jpg
Otto's Synthetic Brushes

Anoop ~ yes I received my Ferrari Red #12 Plisson brush w/ resin handle exactly one week after I placed the order. I placed the order late in the evening of 1 Feb (very early morning 2 Feb in France) & my brush arrived in the post on the following Monday morning. (9 Feb) What can I say? Oh the joy! The handle is indeed bright, shiny Ferrari red and is weighty and solid in hand. The knot is set perhaps 1mm deeper in the handle but feels the same and lathers identically to the Plisson L'Occitane. Of note, I use a lathering bowl and hard soap. My Ferrari Red Plisson builds a generous, peaky lather very quickly. No different really than the Plisson L'Occitane but it does feel better in hand. It's entirely subjective but the brush seems more solid & is certainly weightier. The Ferrari Red Plisson weighs 66g while the Plisson L'Occitane weighs 46g. It's a noticeable difference.

Great to hear. Thanks very much for sharing. I think I'll be sticking with Plisson for a long time. If there ever was a thing like SBAD (shaving brush...) I have lost it after experiencing the Plisson fibers.

The brush looks beautiful.

I was unhappy with the handle on the L'Occitane Plisson brush, so I went through the same procedure, navigating the Plisson website (which switches to French on the payment page - Google Translate is a lifesaver) and paying $30 shipping. Shipping to San Diego took about a week.

It was worth it:

$plissons2.JPG

My new brush has an acetate handle in a faux horn styling. It is considerably heavier that the L'Occitane brush – 2.2 oz (62 gm) vs. 1.8 oz (51 gm), has a more slender profile, and feels great in my hand. While the L'Occitane brush felt sort of cheap, this one exudes quality.

The knots in the two brushes appear to be identical, and the performance is mostly the same, although the additional weight seems to help when whipping up a lather in a bowl. It was definitely worth the shipping cost and fumbling through the website. In fact, I'm thinking about another one. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Last edited:
I was unhappy with the handle on the L'Occitane Plisson brush, so I went through the same procedure, navigating the Plisson website (which switches to French on the payment page - Google Translate is a lifesaver) and paying $30 shipping.

It was worth it:

View attachment 549656

My new brush has an acetate handle in a faux horn styling. It is considerably heavier that the L'Occitanebrush – 2.2 oz (62 gm) vs. 1.8 oz (51 gm), has a more slenderprofile, and feels great in my hand. While the L'Occitane brush feltsort of cheap, this one exudes quality.

The knots in the two brushes appear tobe identical, and the performance is mostly the same, although theadditional weight seems to help when whipping up a lather in a bowl.It was definitely worth the shipping cost and fumbling through thewebsite. In fact, I'm thinking about another one. :thumbup1:

--Bob

The horn looks good. I am really digging the tortoise handle, but I know when it comes time to buy I won't be able to justify the premium and will probably just stick with the cheaper one (Ferrari Red).

The horn looks good. I am really digging the tortoise handle, but I know when it comes time to buy I won't be able to justify the premium and will probably just stick with the cheaper one (Ferrari Red).

Yes, I debated a long time between the horn and the tortoise shell before deciding on the horn. Hmm . . . I could use a travel brush . . .

--Bob

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Over the past days I have removed the knots from 6 of these brushes. Some where "Plisson pour L'Occitane" and some where just marked Plisson. All of them came in the same packaging as the L'Occitane brush. There are, however, several differences which I point out here:
The ones just marked Plisson are made from a different wood then the one marked Plisson p L'O, the wood for the Plisson is a dark brown wood, which has even a finer grain structure than the other ones (which are made form Beech wood as I pointed out earlier).
Secondly the Plisson only marked brushes are glued in very solidly, the whole handle hole is filled with glue and this (I think the same as in the other brushes, looking and feeling like hot melt glue) glue is also around the metal sleeve and handle - the others where we have had several knots falling out are showing much less glue residue.

Over the past days I have removed the knots from 6 of these brushes. Some where "Plisson pour L'Occitane" and some where just marked Plisson. All of them came in the same packaging as the L'Occitane brush. There are, however, several differences which I point out here:
The ones just marked Plisson are made from a different wood then the one marked Plisson p L'O, the wood for the Plisson is a dark brown wood, which has even a finer grain structure than the other ones (which are made form Beech wood as I pointed out earlier).
Secondly the Plisson only marked brushes are glued in very solidly, the whole handle hole is filled with glue and this (I think the same as in the other brushes, looking and feeling like hot melt glue) glue is also around the metal sleeve and handle - the others where we have had several knots falling out are showing much less glue residue.
Did you noticed any difference between knot shapes? There are pictures showing slightly different knots out there.

I guess that might partially explain the price drop from $55 to $30. The new PpL brushes might actually have lower construction quality.

All I can personally attest is that my older brush simply marked "Plisson" is excellent, without any flaws and has withstood routine usage without issue.

I haven't glued it in yet, but here's the knot from the brush Anoop sent me (Thanks again!!), sitting in a Whipped Dog navy blue resin brush handle. I'm planning on giving this one to my 17 year old son. He currently uses a floppy badger brush for creams so I'm giving this to him so he can better attack soaps. I had it sitting on the kitchen counter and he walks by it and says, "Who is that for?" I said I hadn't decided but was considering saving it for his little brother (who's 13 and at least 2 years away from shaving), "WHAT?!?! He doesn't even shave, I want it!" He LOVES how the dry tips feel on his face.

I've been toying with him by telling him I haven't decided who gets it and he keeps trying to talk me into giving it to him, which I will after I glue it in this weekend. Before he hadn't really cared about shaving one way or the other so it's nice to see him getting excited about it. His main reason for getting into wet shaving was financial...I told him if he used a DE and wet shaving gear, I'll provide everything at no cost to him. If he wanted to get into cartridges and foam, he's gets to pay for it all.

$IMG_20150217_073142_707.jpg

As you may be aware from my previous posts, I own 3 of these fine Plisson brushes. Your blue resin handle brush looks very nice. Your son is gonna love this brush!

If you want to save some money, you can manufacture an inexpensive glue substitute at home, in your spare time, from floor sweepings, ear wax and goat urine.

I haven't glued it in yet, but here's the knot from the brush Anoop sent me (Thanks again!!), sitting in a Whipped Dog navy blue resin brush handle. I'm planning on giving this one to my 17 year old son. He currently uses a floppy badger brush for creams so I'm giving this to him so he can better attack soaps. I had it sitting on the kitchen counter and he walks by it and says, "Who is that for?" I said I hadn't decided but was considering saving it for his little brother (who's 13 and at least 2 years away from shaving), "WHAT?!?! He doesn't even shave, I want it!" He LOVES how the dry tips feel on his face.

I've been toying with him by telling him I haven't decided who gets it and he keeps trying to talk me into giving it to him, which I will after I glue it in this weekend. Before he hadn't really cared about shaving one way or the other so it's nice to see him getting excited about it. His main reason for getting into wet shaving was financial...I told him if he used a DE and wet shaving gear, I'll provide everything at no cost to him. If he wanted to get into cartridges and foam, he's gets to pay for it all.

Looks awesome. Thanks for posting.

What size whipped dog handle fit the metal cup on the plisson knot ?

24mm handle, drilled to 14mm deep.

The metal collar on this knot was just over 23mm in diameter, and 13.4mm deep, as measured by my cheap digital caliper. When I ordered the handled I included the dimensions of knot to be sure it was the right size hole diameter and depth.

The finish on the handle I received is perfect. What might look like marks on the photo above are actually reflections.

Top Bottom