What's new

Local roaster with nationwide distribution

I drove past a newish warehouse the other day in my town. It houses a new-to-me coffee roasting company, Bones Coffee Company. This morning, a client highly recommended their beans. The warehouse has a storefront, so I dropped in for a few bags of beans! The third bag is Red Velvet. I will probably avoid the flavored beans. Hoping the coffee is as good as the marketing and packaging! In business since 2018, but only recently expanded to the new facility.

Attachments

• IMG_9788.jpeg
    IMG_9788.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 72849970405__C15F621B-3D0F-4A66-A2D5-4D532065E78F.jpeg
    72849970405__C15F621B-3D0F-4A66-A2D5-4D532065E78F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I drove past a newish warehouse the other day in my town. It houses a new-to-me coffee roasting company, Bones Coffee Company. This morning, a client highly recommended their beans. The warehouse has a storefront, so I dropped in for a few bags of beans! The third bag is Red Velvet. I will probably avoid the flavored beans. Hoping the coffee is as good as the marketing and packaging!

Bones coffee company was founded in 2015, so they arn't brand new, they have been around for awhile now. They are getting more established every year, as they continue to expand their business. Don't be too quick to write off flavored coffee's, I notice this is a tendency from many folks who are like James Hoffman types.

Flavored coffee's are Bones's bread and butter, it was the reason for their founding in the first place, that coffee doesn't need to be boring. There is a market for flavored coffee's, for people who are looking for something a little more interesting. And unlike naturally processed anaerobic flavored coffee's which are super expensive, the Bones flavored coffees are cheaper in cost to produce.

Infact, one of my favorite small time coffee roasters, is Good Brother's. They have a new coffee that they released which is an Anaerobic strawberry flavored coffee, and they are charging well over 100 buckaroo's for 5 LB of it, crazy! I was thinking about trying it out until I saw the price he was charging for each bag size.

I've had a strawberry anaerobic coffee from Red Rooster before, and it was really quite good, but it didn't cost as much as the one from Good Brother's costs, but it was still expensive. Anyways, I do drink coffee from Bones, its their Army Of Dark Chocolate version, and its the only one I've tried from them thus far, and its the only one I have been on subscription order since last year on, and I have been ordering it for at least a year now.

proxy.php

They have an artist working for the company, who makes all the fancy label designs, and the interesting marketing for the bags. I absolutely love this coffee, it tastes far better then a lot of other coffee's I've tried. And you know what else? When I grind this stuff in my grinder, it doesn't make a mess everywhere, easy cleanup!

proxy.php

This is what the coffee beans, from the AODC look like. As you can see, it is indeed a dark roast.

I have this coffee once every 2-days, as I alternate between this, and the previous seasonal release from Good Brother's, the Polar Expresso coffee, which is also a dark roast, but not a flavored coffee. Also, this coffee makes my whole house smell delicious like a coffee shop when I brew it.

proxy.php

Do what you want, but I don't mind trying out new things. Part of what has made this whole coffee hobby experience so interesting, is just trying out all the different coffee's, and developing my palate and experience. There are so many coffee's to choose from, its really quite astounding.

But if someone is looking for a dark roast coffee, and they have a true passion for chocolate, then Bones AODC is the coffee they have been waiting for. Eventually, I'd like to try out a few of the other flavors, I've been curious as to how their Strawberry Cheesecake coffee matches up to a proper strawberry anaerobic coffee.

Anyways, a new coffee roaster to you has moved into your town, don't be alarmed. I know half the people in this country and their conspiracy theories have got people on edge these days. Just try to keep an open mind, and see this new to you coffee brand as the next new adventure to experience.

Thanks for your insight!

I must have misheard the woman who helped me as far as year of origin.

I will be back to try some of the flavored stuff. I asked if the flavoring is accomplished by bean blending, but she told me that the beans are exposed to flavored syrups. She said customers have told her that they pull espresso shots using the flavored beans without issue, but I should clean the machine well.

Looking forward to a single shot with their espresso beans this evening!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Two I can highly recommend who will ship are Stumptown and Texas Coffee Traders. No surprises, just terrific coffee and great advice as to the beans and roast you might like. I love dark roasts for their lower acidity and Hairbender from Stumptown and Grizzly from TCT are my faves. Grizzly is a bit more complex.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thanks for your insight!

Your welcome sir!

but she told me that the beans are exposed to flavored syrups.

This is correct!

She said customers have told her that they pull espresso shots using the flavored beans without issue

I am happy to hear that, as I have no issue brewing the coffee in my automatic pulse based drip brewer either.

but I should clean the machine well.

Good advice, its always a good idea to keep the group head and porta-filter clean. But even more so for the grinder. Just make it a point of once every week or so, to clean out your grinder. I don't know which one that you use, but I use the Baratza Virtuoso+, and its actually quite easy to clean.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

I never updated! My coffee experience is limited, but I find the Espresso Blend to be light and clean, with a light chocolate note when combined with steamed milk. I just pulled a single shot. It is a bit thin and light in flavor, a bit tangy/acidic. I won’t use these beans for Café Cubano or a simple espresso, but I do enjoy them for an am latté.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Stopped in for the recommended bag and a sample of Carrot Cake, which is tasty!View attachment 1807823

Heck yes, thats what I am talking about! Your now the third person in our cafe who either has just bought a bag of Bones Army Of Dark Chocolate, and or have also drank AODC as well. I am super happy for you! I am just happy that the word has finally started getting out. Because I can tell you right now, its literally my most favorite dark roasted flavored coffee.

:thumbup: Lets celebrate with a bunch of pictures! WOOHOO! :thumbup:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom