What's new

Like an Omega 48 but with a nicer handle

The Zenith Euro B07 boar brush I ordered from TVBShaving arrived today. The knot isn't quite as big as I had hoped. Perhaps I didn't read the specs closely enough. At any rate, it is 24 x 57, which is closer to the 24 x 56 of my Omega 66 than to the 28 x 65 of my Omega 48. Looks like a nice enough brush, just not what I had in mind.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Zenith Euro B07 boar brush I ordered from TVBShaving arrived today. The knot isn't quite as big as I had hoped. Perhaps I didn't read the specs closely enough. At any rate, it is 24 x 57, which is closer to the 24 x 56 of my Omega 66 than to the 28 x 65 of my Omega 48. Looks like a nice enough brush, just not what I had in mind.

upload_2018-4-6_21-57-43.png

Link. Maybe this one? Maybe not?

upload_2018-4-6_22-2-26.png

Maybe this one? Link.

upload_2018-4-6_22-5-39.png

I want this one. Link. Except I want it with the aluminum handle which is not currently available.

upload_2018-4-6_22-10-46.png

I have this one. Link. It is new to me, but really working out well. Soft even not broken in. Great backbone. Lathers well. Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I have most of the brushes mentioned in this thread. Great brushes, and very good choice. Some I've not used yet (but that's only because they are new and I'm doing the March Fixed Four).

I don't know exactly what you mean by "similar performance" so my comments may be way off the mark. I like brushes with backbone and softness (both). I face lather almost always.

A lot goes into how the boars perform - loft, knot size, bristle type and quality, density of the bristles, how the knot is set, etc. - so the brushes are hard to impossible to compare without trying them. Omegas and Zeniths and Mondials and Semogues are all different. They're all good, but not all the same.

View attachment 870133

The Mondial Antica Barberia is very much available, and easy to find and obtain. Here's the link. You'll see that it has 26mm knot and a 60mm loft (vendor's measurements). I have one in transit. The reviews are good.

The Zenith brushes are very nice. There is a US based vendor on eBay. He has a number of brushes unavailable elsewhere. When I order from him my brush arrives quickly. He's way into the Zenith brushes himself I believe and seems to be a very good guy.

View attachment 870132

I do not think the Connaught Omega Premium brush is too far from what you might be looking for. Its handle is lathe turned acrylic resin and is the most beautiful Omega brush handle I've seen (including the Italian Flag). The photo almost does it justice. The brush pictured is mine, and brand new. It really does seem to be a superior brush. I have not used mine yet because of the Fixed Four, but I can hardly wait.

Zenith makes two different metal handled boars. Aluminum handles. Also another handle which is maybe copper and chrome plated, but is much heavier.

I find some handles too heavy, and, for me, the aluminum Zenith handles are heavy enough but not too heavy. I would not like the the heavier Zenith chromed handles. Please check the weights of the brushes if you have concerns about them being too heavy. One brush I owned and otherwise liked except for its weight was PIF'd because of the weight. Lesson learned.

View attachment 870134

Thater makes a boar (beehive, pictured) which a lot of guys like. It is very expensive. I find it lacking in backbone and floppy. The 48 is a functionally better brush in my opinion as are all the brushes mentioned. The Thater handle is nice, but I believe the Omega Connaught brush (above) has a nicer and better or equal quality handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, I have to agree with you. That handle on the Connaught Omega boar is very nice. I'm wondering if there is any US vendors that might sell it. Is it exclusive to Connaught? I can always use another boar brush (I only have three).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I have to agree with you. That handle on the Connaught Omega boar is very nice. I'm wondering if there is any US vendors that might sell it. Is it exclusive to Connaught? I can always use another boar brush (I only have three).

I believe it is an exclusive to Connaught. I don't know that for a fact, but I haven't seen it elsewhere and I've looked some.

Mine arrived pretty quickly from across the pond.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I believe it is an exclusive to Connaught. I don't know that for a fact, but I haven't seen it elsewhere and I've looked some.

Mine arrived pretty quickly from across the pond.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interestingly enough, I went searching on Amazon, not expecting much. I didn't find that boar brush but I did find that handle but with a Best Badger knot in it by Omega. At $105 it's not something I can justify. I have plenty of badger brushes but I would like one more boar brush. I find boar to be my preferred choice of brush when using soaps. I like badgers and synthetics for creams. Anyway, I may just buy the thing from Connaught and pay the small price for shipping. It really is a gorgeous brush.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interestingly enough, I went searching on Amazon, not expecting much. I didn't find that boar brush but I did find that handle but with a Best Badger knot in it by Omega. At $105 it's not something I can justify. I have plenty of badger brushes but I would like one more boar brush. I find boar to be my preferred choice of brush when using soaps. I like badgers and synthetics for creams. Anyway, I may just buy the thing from Connaught and pay the small price for shipping. It really is a gorgeous brush.

Even with the shipping which is only $2.50, our price on this side of the pond is less than our friends in the U.K. pay with the taxes they're hit with.

I can't find the handle with the badger, and don't want one, but it would be fun to look at it.

Omega.Jade.Pro.3-18.640.JPG

You're right. The Omega 011829 really is a very nice looking brush. It fits a niche in my boar group. It is breaking in nicely, but was decently useable right out of the box.

ItalianFlag.Damp.3-18.jpg

It has the nicest handle of any Omega brush I've seen. I like the Italian Flag (pictured above, but photo taken when brush was damp) handle a lot, too, for looks, but this 011829 is a smaller size, and just seems right in my hand. I like looking at the jade brush, and I like using it.

Part of my reason for buying it was to see what a premium Omega brush was like. I believe the Italian Flag is also a premium Omega, but I'm not entirely sure what a premium Omega is. My guess is it means the bristles are their very best + the handle is not the usual Omega handle.

upload_2018-4-7_16-52-42.png

I'm not particular opposed to what some people call "cheap looking" Omega plastic handles. I like some of them. For instance, I like the plastic handle on my Proraso brush (made my Omega. 27mm x 55mm, pictured above). Still, I had in mind assembling a little collection of boars all of them being something I think of as premium. It helps that Omega thinks of this as a premium brush. It is certainly of high quality, and it is exclusive to a vendor so everybody won't have one, but it is also a nice brush and I like both its looks, its feel in my hand, and its performance.

None of that says anything about whether you'd like the premium Omega brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Even with the shipping which is only $2.50, our price on this side of the pond is less than our friends in the U.K. pay with the taxes they're hit with.

I can't find the handle with the badger, and don't want one, but it would be fun to look at it.

View attachment 873827

You're right. The Omega 011829 really is a very nice looking brush. It fits a niche in my boar group. It is breaking in nicely, but was decently useable right out of the box.

View attachment 873828

It has the nicest handle of any Omega brush I've seen. I like the Italian Flag (pictured above, but photo taken when brush was damp) handle a lot, too, for looks, but this 011829 is a smaller size, and just seems right in my hand. I like looking at the jade brush, and I like using it.

Part of my reason for buying it was to see what a premium Omega brush was like. I believe the Italian Flag is also a premium Omega, but I'm not entirely sure what a premium Omega is. My guess is it means the bristles are their very best + the handle is not the usual Omega handle.

View attachment 873829

I'm not particular opposed to what some people call "cheap looking" Omega plastic handles. I like some of them. For instance, I like the plastic handle on my Proraso brush (made my Omega. 27mm x 55mm, pictured above). Still, I had in mind assembling a little collection of boars all of them being something I think of as premium. It helps that Omega thinks of this as a premium brush. It is certainly of high quality, and it is exclusive to a vendor so everybody won't have one, but it is also a nice brush and I like both its looks, its feel in my hand, and its performance.

None of that says anything about whether you'd like the premium Omega brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I also have the Pro 49 with the black handle. Yeah, maybe it looks cheap but I like how it feels in my hand and it performs really well. But sometimes I want something smaller like when I am trying a sample. This one would be perfect and nicer than my Omega 10066.

The Omega 81064 is another "premium" Omega brush with a fantastic handle. Bristles very soft, but not a "Pro"

The Omega 10098 that I linked yesterday is probably used as much by Italian barbers as the 48, and the old school handle is way better I think. I can't insert photos, google them.

I have now found not just one but two solutions to my problem:

1. My original Omega 48 with a new wooden handle (see picture earlier in the thread).
2. A new Mondial 1908.

The Mondial 1908 has a 25 mm by 60 mm knot, slightly smaller than the 48's knot, but it is well-made and densely packed. The handle is faux ivory and feels quite solid. It came to me

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I'm sure several of the other suggested options would also have served me well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have now found not just one but two solutions to my problem:

1. My original Omega 48 with a new wooden handle (see picture earlier in the thread).
2. A new Mondial 1908.

The Mondial 1908 has a 25 mm by 60 mm knot, slightly smaller than the 48's knot, but it is well-made and densely packed. The handle is faux ivory and feels quite solid. It came to me

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I'm sure several of the other suggested options would also have served me well.

Mondial.BigScrubby.26x57.640.4-18.Cropped.JPG

Mondial on the left.

I'll be interested in the your review of your Mondial. I wonder if it is the same knot as mine. Here is a link to my use of the brush this morning.

I also just noticed they make the aluminum in brushed and polished. I ordered the brushed (and am glad I did).

View attachment 870394

I think this "ivory" brush might be nice, and perhaps appropriate for the OP, although I don't know much about the handle. Is it cheap plastic or what?
Jim

Jim,

I now have this brush and am very pleased with it. The 25 x 60 knot is densely packed. The "faux ivory" handle does not feel at all like cheap plastic. It feels solid and substantial. I have only 8 shaves on it so far, but it is breaking in very nicely. It is a strong candidate to become my favorite boar brush.

Chuck

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

I now have this brush and am very pleased with it. The 25 x 60 knot is densely packed. The "faux ivory" handle does not feel at all like cheap plastic. It feels solid and substantial. I have only 8 shaves on it so far, but it is breaking in very nicely. It is a strong candidate to become my favorite boar brush.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck.

I've been waiting for your review. Wouldn't you know it, the brush is now out of stock. Not to worry, I have a few other boars, including the brushed aluminum Mondial (which is in stock), and the faux ivory will not be gone forever.

I'm so glad to hear you like both the knot and the handle.

Mondial.Damp.Gentile.Kit.640.4-18.JPG

Mondial is a terrific boar, at least mine is. It's damp in the photo.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A little late to this party, I am ....
:)

I would vote for the Jade Omega 011829 from Connaught Shaving, hands down, no contest.

Jim and others have already provided excellent pictures.

In addition, the Omega 20102 with its wood handle comes to mind
The Omega 10098 has its own unique face feel, even though its handle isn't quite "better" than that of the 48

As a quick recap, I started this thread because I really liked the way my Omega 48 brush performs, but did not like the look and feel of the handle that came with it. Subsequently I re-handled the brush and bought two new Italian boar brushes recommended to me. The Mondial came to me from Australia, and the Zenith from Slovenia (of all places).

Here is my current collection of Italian boar brushes:
ItalianBoars.jpg

From left to right: Omega 48 with a new ash handle, Mondial 1908 Antica Barberia (25x60), Zenith Euro B07 (24x57), Omega 97 with a new ash handle, and Omega 66 (24x56).

The Zenith shows a bit more bloom than the others because it is still damp from this morning's shave. I don't particularly like the feel of the handle of the Zenith because the ridges in the narrow part of the handle are a bit sharp and uncomfortable.

I do like the handle of the Mondial. It has a nice heft and feel. Both the Mondial and the Zenith took about a week to break in.

The Omega 97 was my favorite for several years, then the Omega 48. Now I think that the Mondial has a good chance of becoming my favorite. But they are all good!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As a quick recap, I started this thread because I really liked the way my Omega 48 brush performs, but did not like the look and feel of the handle that came with it. Subsequently I re-handled the brush and bought two new Italian boar brushes recommended to me. The Mondial came to me from Australia, and the Zenith from Slovenia (of all places).

Here is my current collection of Italian boar brushes.

The Zenith shows a bit more bloom than the others because it is still damp from this morning's shave. I don't particularly like the feel of the handle of the Zenith because the ridges in the narrow part of the handle are a bit sharp and uncomfortable.

I do like the handle of the Mondial. It has a nice heft and feel. Both the Mondial and the Zenith took about a week to break in.

The Omega 97 was my favorite for several years, then the Omega 48. Now I think that the Mondial has a good chance of becoming my favorite. But they are all good!

It looks like you've succeeded nicely in accomplishing your objectives. Congratulations.

upload_2018-5-2_9-36-50.png

"From left to right: Omega 48 with a new ash handle, Mondial 1908 Antica Barberia (25x60), Zenith Euro B07 (24x57), Omega 97 with a new ash handle, and Omega 66 (24x56)."

Nice photo and very nice collection.

I was busy admiring the Zenith, and almost decided to buy one, but then I read what you wrote about the handle. I'll hold off. Sometime down the road you might want to either put a new handle on your Zenith or buy one with a handle you'll like. I've read that this Zenith is frequently used as a donor because the knot is very good and the price is low. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that you're already considering doing this. Your handle making skills amaze me.

Wish I'd bought the Mondial when it was available. I love my brushed aluminum Mondial though, and an ivory handled Mondial will reappear sometime (although the factory website doesn't have them listed their either).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom