What's new

Like an Omega 48 but with a nicer handle

I really like the way my Omega 48 boar brush works. Great lather, great feel on my face. But I'm not a fan of its chrome-plated plastic handle. I'm looking for recommendations for a boar brush with similar performance but with a handle that looks and feels better in the hand.

Omega 49? I have that one. :001_tt2:

In all seriousness though, is it just the looks or is the handle awkward? What other types of handles do you use that you like?

Here's a 48 or 49 Omega. Anyone that makes a handle should be able to fix you up. I like my loft @ around 57mm. A slightly oversized hole can change the feel for tuning to your preference.

Last edited:
How about a boar Semogue owners club.
492769-0b1749e31721ac947f1f68bf93060267.jpg

Omega 49? I have that one. :001_tt2:

In all seriousness though, is it just the looks or is the handle awkward? What other types of handles do you use that you like?
I like the shape of the Omega 66 handle, although I would like it better if it were a bit larger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have the Omega 10049 in black which would solve the chrome issue, but from what I understand you don't like the shape of the handle as well as the color.

Since you do like the knot, I would look for someone to change the handle for me or take the task of trying to change it myself.

You might also want to take a look at the big Semogues - 2000 or SOC.
Still the idea of my own custom 48 would be more tempting given that I like the knot.

A Zenith or Mondial Boar. They have brushes with a similar shaped handle to an Omega 48, but with added heft since they come with aluminium handles.

- Zenith: B02-A28 (26x64) or B01-A50 (26x70).
- Mondial Antica Barberia (They come in Chrome or Matt silver handles - I believe they are 26x60, but I might be wrong). This one is more difficult to find - It appears they are not widely distributed and it's not even listed on the Mondial web-site.

The above brushes are made by two different manufacturers - they are also the OEM for various other brands. I have read a few posts where statements and assumptions were made that Mondial brushes are made by Zenith. This is incorrect. Zenith brushes - made by Pennellificio Pandolfo, who are based in Palermo. OTOH, Mondial brushes - made by Pennellificio Attilio Bagnoli, who are based in Florence.

Last edited:
Correction: the Mondial Antica Barberia boar brushes are actually listed on their web-site, but it's a little tricky to find. You'll find them here, but unfortunately lacking specifications.

Thanks guys for all the great responses! That Zenith web site has some serious eye candy! Also, your questions have helped clarify my thinking.

It's not the shape of the Omega 48's handle that I don't like, and it's not that it's plastic per se. I don't mind the faux ivory plastic of my Omega 66's handles. It's just that the Omega 48's chrome-plated plastic handle seems, well, a bit tacky! I seem to recall @Marco saying that the 48 is commonly used in Italian barber shops, and I can see it fitting in to that context, but it just doesn't ring my bell.

An Omega 49 might just be the ticket.

The Semogue S.O.C. brushes look very nice, but I'm wondering whether the 24mm knot may be a bit smaller than I am looking for. The Semogue 2000 has a 25mm knot that might work for me. I guess I'm not sure how much of what I like about the size of the Omega 48 is due to its diameter versus its loft. Any thoughts on that?

Another suggestion was that I have my 48's knot put into a custom handle. Actually, I have made wooden brush handles on my lathe before, but only for knots purchased separately (from The Golden Nib). I have never taken a knot from an existing handle and put it in a new handle. Guess I should poke around the forum for a tutorial on how to do that without damaging the knot. Then maybe I'll practice on a lesser brush.

I think you won't regret getting a 49.

You can buy the 49 and use it while checking for options for a new handle on the 48.

Omega 011829 - Limited edition offered by Connaught.
It has a shorter loft than the usual Omega Pro which is a very good thing.
The handle is nice lathe turned. I prefer the shape of the Omega Pro handles, but this one is indeed very nice.
Another option is Zenith, their handles are made of aluminum and I are rather nice.
I would get the 'big scrubby' because their bristles are very and even that one is far from having a substantial backbone like Omega.

Last - if you want a 24mn knot, you can't really go wrong with the Omega 11126.

Thanks guys for all the great responses! That Zenith web site has some serious eye candy! Also, your questions have helped clarify my thinking.

It's not the shape of the Omega 48's handle that I don't like, and it's not that it's plastic per se. I don't mind the faux ivory plastic of my Omega 66's handles. It's just that the Omega 48's chrome-plated plastic handle seems, well, a bit tacky! I seem to recall @Marco saying that the 48 is commonly used in Italian barber shops, and I can see it fitting in to that context, but it just doesn't ring my bell.

An Omega 49 might just be the ticket.

The Semogue S.O.C. brushes look very nice, but I'm wondering whether the 24mm knot may be a bit smaller than I am looking for. The Semogue 2000 has a 25mm knot that might work for me. I guess I'm not sure how much of what I like about the size of the Omega 48 is due to its diameter versus its loft. Any thoughts on that?

Another suggestion was that I have my 48's knot put into a custom handle. Actually, I have made wooden brush handles on my lathe before, but only for knots purchased separately (from The Golden Nib). I have never taken a knot from an existing handle and put it in a new handle. Guess I should poke around the forum for a tutorial on how to do that without damaging the knot. Then maybe I'll practice on a lesser brush.

The Pro 49 is my favorite brush of all time. It is an absolute lathering monster that can stand up against even the most expensive badgers. Cheap, reliable, and outstanding performance is why this brush will always have a place in my den.

The knots are easy to remove from the Omega 48's and 49's. Just drill a hole in the bottom of the handle a drive them out with a dowel. You can then cut the collar off and set the knot to your liking.
P.S. I have a Zenith that's 26 x 57, it's a good brush. Loft and diameter can (will) change the feel of the brush. I'd stay as close as you can to what you like dimensionally.

Last edited:
The knots are easy to remove from the Omega 48's and 49's. Just drill a hole in the bottom of the handle a drive them out with a dowel. You can then cut the collar off and set the knot to your liking.
P.S. I have a Zenith that's 26 x 57, it's a good brush. Loft and diameter can (will) change the feel of the brush. I'd stay as close as you can to what you like dimensionally.

Thanks for that, @oscar11. Your suggestion worked like charm on the 48. The knot popped right out. I had tried the same thing the day before on an Omega 97 and the handle broke into pieces. No great loss because the handle was already cracked. I have turned new ash handles for each out of some re-purposed croquet mallet heads. I'm waiting for the finish to dry before I glue in the knots.

I ordered a Zenith Euro B07 from TVB Shaving, and I suspect that there is an Omega 49 in my future. Hmm. I seem to have come down with a case of SBAD!

Thanks. I've done a lot of experimenting with the big Omega knots. I've been picking up am few additional boar brushes. I have a Zenith, Mondial and an ABC somewhere in the mail. Steve

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A Zenith or Mondial Boar. They have brushes with a similar shaped handle to an Omega 48, but with added heft since they come with aluminium handles.

- Zenith: B02-A28 (26x64) or B01-A50 (26x70).
- Mondial Antica Barberia (They come in Chrome or Matt silver handles - I believe they are 26x60, but I might be wrong). This one is more difficult to find - It appears they are not widely distributed and it's not even listed on the Mondial web-site.

The above brushes are made by two different manufacturers - they are also the OEM for various other brands. I have read a few posts where statements and assumptions were made that Mondial brushes are made by Zenith. This is incorrect. Zenith brushes - made by Pennellificio Pandolfo, who are based in Palermo. OTOH, Mondial brushes - made by Pennellificio Attilio Bagnoli, who are based in Florence.

I have most of the brushes mentioned in this thread. Great brushes, and very good choice. Some I've not used yet (but that's only because they are new and I'm doing the March Fixed Four).

I don't know exactly what you mean by "similar performance" so my comments may be way off the mark. I like brushes with backbone and softness (both). I face lather almost always.

A lot goes into how the boars perform - loft, knot size, bristle type and quality, density of the bristles, how the knot is set, etc. - so the brushes are hard to impossible to compare without trying them. Omegas and Zeniths and Mondials and Semogues are all different. They're all good, but not all the same.

upload_2018-3-24_12-26-57.png

The Mondial Antica Barberia is very much available, and easy to find and obtain. Here's the link. You'll see that it has 26mm knot and a 60mm loft (vendor's measurements). I have one in transit. The reviews are good.

The Zenith brushes are very nice. There is a US based vendor on eBay. He has a number of brushes unavailable elsewhere. When I order from him my brush arrives quickly. He's way into the Zenith brushes himself I believe and seems to be a very good guy.

Omega.Jade.Pro.3-18.640.JPG

I do not think the Connaught Omega Premium brush is too far from what you might be looking for. Its handle is lathe turned acrylic resin and is the most beautiful Omega brush handle I've seen (including the Italian Flag). The photo almost does it justice. The brush pictured is mine, and brand new. It really does seem to be a superior brush. I have not used mine yet because of the Fixed Four, but I can hardly wait.

Zenith makes two different metal handled boars. Aluminum handles. Also another handle which is maybe copper and chrome plated, but is much heavier.

I find some handles too heavy, and, for me, the aluminum Zenith handles are heavy enough but not too heavy. I would not like the the heavier Zenith chromed handles. Please check the weights of the brushes if you have concerns about them being too heavy. One brush I owned and otherwise liked except for its weight was PIF'd because of the weight. Lesson learned.

Thater.Omega.Jade.Pro.3-18.640.JPG

Thater makes a boar (beehive, pictured) which a lot of guys like. It is very expensive. I find it lacking in backbone and floppy. The 48 is a functionally better brush in my opinion as are all the brushes mentioned. The Thater handle is nice, but I believe the Omega Connaught brush (above) has a nicer and better or equal quality handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
This is what my Omega 48 looks like now (on the left). The brush on the right was my practice run using the knot from an Omega 97. The wood is ash, scrounged from old croquet mallets and turned on a lathe. The knots aren't glued in yet.

20180323_170932-02.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is what my Omega 48 looks like now (on the left). The brush on the right was my practice run using the knot from an Omega 97. The wood is ash, scrounged from old croquet mallets and turned on a lathe. The knots aren't glued in yet.

View attachment 870310

Very clever. I like this a lot. The brush on the left has wood like some of the Zenith brushes in olive wood with a beautiful grain.

Top Bottom