What's new

Let's talk 1911

Congrats on your degree! If you are trying to keep it around $1000, go a bit, ~$100-$200, more and get a Colt 70 Series.

For around $1,300-$1,500 you can get a Springfield TRP, which in my opinion is probably the best production 1911 made today.

If you want to go all out, get a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Not much info I can provide on 1911's.

but this thread has a lot of useful and informitive info in it. Thanks for starting it and congratulations on your hard earned degree!

I go to three different gun ranges/shops. Each shop focuses on a different brand (what we sell is best). Try before you buy, and buy what feels most comfortable.

Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911. My favorite pistol.

Can never go wrong with a Colt. I agree with the guys opinion of Kimber, they are highly overrated IMHO. Sigs are great weapons, but that external extractor is a real pain to disassemble and reassemble for a strip clean. RIA's are nice and dependable, as well as affordable. Another suggestion that I will make would be the ATI. I bought one not too long ago for less than $300. I put a set of Trijicons on it, put a Wilson Combat spring kit in it, polished the internals, put in a Videki trigger and installed a set of Magpul grips. Still have less than $450 in it and it is my EDC. A bit of advice on a 1911, stay clear of the ultra compacts in any brand. The design of the 1911 doesn't lend itself well to the small 3-3-1/2" barrel designs. Stick with a government or commander size.

Wow, there's a wealth of info on here! Thanks guys! I see I have a lot to learn about these weapons and how to modify them.

I was wondering about the Ruger. I have a P95 and it is just a darn solid and reliable pistol. I am very happy with that purchase

Congratulations on your achievement! I would first caution you that purchasing 1911's can lead quickly to addiction. Obviously in my line of work I am afforded the opportunity to see and handle a lot of firearms. While I have sold everything from Ed Brown and Wilson Combat, I have to admit that I am continually impressed with RIA's offerings.

They (RIA's) have been solid performers, great shooters and for the price point they are a great value. By far our most popular 1911 to date in terms of sheer number sold would be Ruger's SR1911. Within your price range, there are a number of reliable manufacturers that would fit the bill and leave you quite satisfied. Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:
I carried a 1911 when it counted for a long time, and cried just a little when I had to go to the M9. We made such a stink we got our 1911's back

I have several 1911's and clones. The 1911's I own ranged from $300 new to .. well there's no way I'm putting it in print where my wife can see it. Let's just say I have some of the 100 anniversary ones still in the brown wrapper. :thumbup1:

If you do not currently own a 1911 then without a doubt I would say go with the RIA. Out of the box, the RIA Standard GI is probably the most fool-proof investment you can make, especially if you will be "tinkering". If you want some features found on high-end guns and will not be "tinkering" then one of the Tac series would be good to look at - beavertails, bobbed hammers, adjustable sights and rails.

When I go to the range, my RIA is ALWAYS with me. I have ~5000 rounds on a GI with all stock parts. The only changes I made were a gold bead (old school dot) on the front blade, and some trigger work by my favorite gunsmith.

In the middle of the road price-wise, I think the Ruger SR1911 is just about perfect. It's a very true to form 1911 internally with some nice "amenities". As a buy it and shoot it gun, this is towards the top of the list.

Then there's the Sig Sauer. I have never picked up a Sig I didn't want to own. It's like a drug. If this is the price range you are in then without a doubt there are no poor choices in their 1911 models. I carry daily and I almost always carry a Sig.

Of the others mentioned the one I would stay away from is the Kimber. I'm pretty sure I'm offending someone by saying that but they are not worth the money they bring in (IMHO, YMMV, etc.). Especially as a first 1911 ... no.

Bobtails are one of those things you either need or you do not. If there is a range around you and you can go borrow/rent a gun, it's worth it to see if you need one. I do not but some guys walk away bloody without one. All the rest of the "options" are just that - optional.

The less expensive guns like the RIA have investment cast or MIM parts and that's fine. Don't let anyone tell you that you NEED those forged parts. The best thing that can happen to you is you wear out that MIM sear or trigger because you got your money's worth (incidentally I've not worn any out). Standard bushings, short guide rods, etc., are less expensive, and easier to maintain. If you want a race gun then there's price and inconvenience that comes with it. John Moses Browning invented what is likely going to stand as the most popular handgun of all time and I like having a few that he would recognize as his own.

Lastly, find a good gunsmith - I was EXTREMELY lucky to find a good one in Kansas City who is not all wrapped up in selling guns. All of my pieces go to him for trigger work. At well under $100 it's one of the best investments a guy can make. Don't get worried about replacing parts - and don't think buying expensive parts will make it shoot better. A RIA GI with a $50 trigger job will very likely be a lot cleaner shooting than a brand new Colt. Spending $50-$100-$150 on new "improved" trigger parts will get you new parts. It's the work of an experienced gunsmith that will improve the action more than anything else.

Over the years, I've owned and sold close to 20 different makes and models of 1911's. IIRC the series 70's were the worst of the bunch for me.

I carry a Series 80 MKIV stainless enhanced Colt Combat Commander in 45ACP most of the time. Reason I carry it over my beloved Hi-Powr is that it's a single stack and bit easier to conceal. I t is noticeably heavier than the Browning and truth be told, I can shoot the Browning better than the Colt. Cool weather and I carry the Browning most times.

That being said, my Colt is a handful with hot loads of flying ashtrays. I have a two port compensator that makes it a sweetheart, BUT, it also makes it as long as full sized 1911.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have a Commander in .38 Super. I wish now that I'd bought every damn ex-Mexican army 38 Super that I saw back in the 60's and 70's when they were selling for half of what clapped out 1911's were selling for.

I keep hoping RIA will bring out a commander in 38. IF they do, I'll retire my Colt and carry one of those.

Just my .02

I have a Stainless Gold Cup National Match, Series 80, high vis Millet sights, full length guide rod, etc, etc, etc. Did all the stuff you were supposed to do with a 1911 back in the late 80's early 90's to make it "a good gun". It shoots great.

That said, if something went bump in the night and I couldn't get to a shotgun or rifle, I'd reach for my plain ol' Norinco 1911 Compact. It's the Commander length, but it's ultra-reliable and pretty much stock aside from a set of new grips and a flat mainspring housing, just 'cause my hands have gotten used to that. It's not pretty, not smooth as buttah and it rattles just right.

I guess what I'm saying is that 1911 enthusiasts can be a little daft about all the things you "have to do" or "have to have" on a pistol to make it "a good gun". Get a decent basic pistol, spend the difference on ammo and you'll be a better shooter for it.

If you just want one because it's a piece of history, the RIA or Ruger both look good and are close to what Uncle Sam issued. Cimmaron makes one that's pretty darn close to GI but I don't know much about it. I'd buy a truckload of Norincos if you could still get them here, and I'd jump on a good used one.

Maybe an Argentine Sistema in good shape? That's probably the closest you'll get to a USGI 1911a1 without buying an original.

I'm definitely by no means a 1911 purist. What I do know is that I like the looks of the model and I love how they feel in my hand. Thanks for the advice!

I have a Stainless Gold Cup National Match, Series 80, high vis Millet sights, full length guide rod, etc, etc, etc. Did all the stuff you were supposed to do with a 1911 back in the late 80's early 90's to make it "a good gun". It shoots great.

That said, if something went bump in the night and I couldn't get to a shotgun or rifle, I'd reach for my plain ol' Norinco 1911 Compact. It's the Commander length, but it's ultra-reliable and pretty much stock aside from a set of new grips and a flat mainspring housing, just 'cause my hands have gotten used to that. It's not pretty, not smooth as buttah and it rattles just right.

I guess what I'm saying is that 1911 enthusiasts can be a little daft about all the things you "have to do" or "have to have" on a pistol to make it "a good gun". Get a decent basic pistol, spend the difference on ammo and you'll be a better shooter for it.

If you just want one because it's a piece of history, the RIA or Ruger both look good and are close to what Uncle Sam issued. Cimmaron makes one that's pretty darn close to GI but I don't know much about it. I'd buy a truckload of Norincos if you could still get them here, and I'd jump on a good used one.

Maybe an Argentine Sistema in good shape? That's probably the closest you'll get to a USGI 1911a1 without buying an original.

If you just want the platform, with the most "bang for your buck" it looks like the Rock Island is going to be hard to beat right now.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Depends on what you want to do with it, but I am happy with my SA Range Officer. It does have a target rear sight so it isn't optimal for daliy carry, but it is well made and the lifetime warranty is hard to beat. For 720.00 it isn't much more than a RIA.

This thread had me Googling various 1911 forums, and in short order what I discovered is almost every manufacturer has somebody out there claiming that they'd never buy one again.

There does seem to be some consensus on a few brands, but how much of that is real life experience and how much is internet parroting is hard to tell. I also guess that if everybody loves their Acme 1911 and you get the only bad one that ever slipped past QC, then what those other guys say doesn't matter much, and then it's more about what company has good customer service after the sale.

Some manufacturers that had sterling reputations when I was in the gun biz seem to have fallen from popular favor, and now that everybody is making a 1911, there is plenty of confusion out there.

About the only written in stone advice I'd tender is that you should stick with a new one with warranty for your first one, unless you have a very knowledgeable 1911 buddy who can check it out, and be leery of any used 1911 that you can't function fire before the purchase.

About the only written in stone advice I'd tender is that you should stick with a new one with warranty for your first one, unless you have a very knowledgeable 1911 buddy who can check it out, and be leery of any used 1911 that you can't function fire before the purchase.
Good advice - I'd also say LEARN the function checks which can tell you a lot about a gun. At a minimim these should be performed after each disassembly/assembly, and can help when evaluating a gun in a "non-shooting" environment:

http://www.m1911.org/technic25.htm

I would add to these one more: The pencil test. After all these pass, **** the gun, drop in a pencil (eraser first) or a glue stick and fire. If the firing gear is in good shape, it should shoot the pencil/stick a pretty good ways out of the barrel.

it's more about what company has good customer service after the sale
Great point. I have always had remarkable service from the larger American brands. Probably the best service I've received from them is from Ruger. I can't remember if I've worked with all of them, but certainly a lot over the years. None have been terrible at service (but someone will always have a bad experience).

Asking around if there are any local
USPSA, IDPA, International Practical Shooting Confederation, or Bullseye shooting groups should yield good info. They will know of the gunsmiths in the area and a good smith is worth his weight in gold. Some have waiting lists, it's not uncommon for a good smith to have a list 6 months or longer for custom work. Mine is quite popular but has always made time for a quick tweak, and absolutely has always made time for a functional/safety issue.

Even if you send your gun back to the manufacturer, you need an FFL to receive it back. A relationship with at least a local gun store is beneficial here.

Please make sure to let us know what you decide, and of course post pictures. :thumbup1:

Depends on what you want to do with it, but I am happy with my SA Range Officer. It does have a target rear sight so it isn't optimal for daliy carry, but it is well made and the lifetime warranty is hard to beat. For 720.00 it isn't much more than a RIA.
They are a little more now, but I could have bought 2 RIA GI models for that - and had enough money left over for ammo. They are absolutely different platforms of course, and the SA is a great gun (I have one).

I will say this about a Kimber 1911; they will occasionally jam until you break them in. I know folks that own one, and have read the forums, same story. Some people get frustrated and declare the Kimber a "never again" buy.

I have 2 weapons produced by Springfield Armory, an M1A/M14 and a 1911. The M1A has served me as a hunting rifle for a quarter of a century. It has traveled to 14 states and performed flawlessly in all weather conditions and been called upon to drop black bear at 20 yards and Elk at 280 yards. With a match grade barrel swap it helped my son earn first place 3 years in a row at the 1,000 yard range.

The 1911 has served as a backup weapon on all hunting trips in almost every weather condition and also performed flawlessly. It has also been my every day carry for many many years. It too has performed well in matches and has equaled the M1A in reliability and quality.

Both weapons have several thousand rounds thru them, and both have been supremely reliable. I would not hesitate to purchase another weapon from SA.

I have owned one RIA 1911. While not an unsatisfactory weapon I did not find it's quality to be an equal of SA. I sold the RIA so I cannot speak of its long term reliability.

I should point out both of my SA's are decades old. I have not purchased a recent SA and do not know if their quality has imrpoved or suffered over the years.

I think your choice to go with a 1911 design is wise. You will see many many opinions here as the 1911 is one of the most popular designs. Go shopping Sir. Ignore the opinions and the sales people. Hold one from each manufacturer and trust your own good eye. Congrats on your degree.

FWIW, SA is one of the brands that's got a little of the "ain't what they used to wuz" buzz online.

It's amazing to me that a century old design, that has a sterling reputation forged over two world wars and dozens of lesser conflicts, could still be a tough nut for any manufacturer to crack.

I'm guessing that 99% of the disdain shown for brand X 1911s is the result of making mountains out of molehills.

In my own case, If I believed some of what I've read, my Series 80 Gold Cup is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen, that the firing pin lock might leave the pistol while I'm not watching and kick my dog, and when the factory Eliason rear sight went over my shoulder during a pin shoot, I should have immediately traded or destroyed that unreliable hunk o' junk. Being ignorant, I just had a reputable gunsmith put on a replacement set of Millet sights and continued to shoot and enjoy it.

My "Commie Commander" was probably sabotaged by a slave laborer, the steel is too hard and barrel lugs are going to batter themselves to death next time I'm at the range. It's not 'Merican, so it's garbage. The grip screw bushings use a different thread than the original Colt, so parts will be a nightmare to find. Some smiths won't work on them 'cause the steel is so hard, therefore it will fail me during the Zombie uprising when I suddenly decide to have the ejection port or mag well flared. Did I say it's not 'Merican?

I did have one 1911 type clone actually fail on me....sort of. First .45 I got was a used Star PD, compact alloy framed job and I shot that thing a lot...a whole lot. Being young and dumb at the time (now I'm old and dumb) I never thought to check or replace the recoil spring and buffer or consider the gun wasn't really made for the abuse I was giving it without careful preventive maintenance. Frame cracked after thousands of rounds. Still shootable, but I figured I'd best retire it, lesson learned and moved on.

Colt. Everything else is a clone.

Colt .45 automatic pistols are kept on hand from 1918, 1947, 1979, and 2014. All have always given perfect satisfaction.

Well ... except for the 1918 gun which was my first 1911 gun and has seen the highest volume of ammo. Its front sight went AWOL during a range session back in 2008, never to be seen again. Since Colt wouldn't likely fix it "under warranty" another proper sight had to be located and fitted. I'd had the gun 30 years when the sight came off and had poured lots of handloads through it.

Top Bottom