What's new

Let's talk 1911

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm not going to start a new thread about my latest/most recent 1911 purchase. I'll just hide the mention of it in here.... :)

A Colt Rail Gun that I am carrying on duty with a TLR-1.

Very nice Colt. Are you worried about the duty holster wear on the finish? I don't on a Glock, but man that is a nice gun!

The Colt 70 series is a fine handgun. If you can pick one up at say, an estate sale, pre-'75 for a decent price and in good condition, grab it.

The finish on a Glock is one of the reasons they command higher prices. It's a special process. That is a beautiful .45 there.

Very nice Colt. Are you worried about the duty holster wear on the finish? I don't on a Glock, but man that is a nice gun!

Thank you. The Safariland holster is suede lined and the Rail Gun is Cerakoted.

But honestly, I LOVE hard use wear showing on my fighting guns so when it happens then it happens. No biggie. I expect it, actually encourage it. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Thank you. The Safariland holster is suede lined and the Rail Gun is Cerakoted.

But honestly, I LOVE hard use wear showing on my fighting guns so when it happens then it happens. No biggie. I expect it, actually encourage it. :thumbup1:
Cerakote is some tough stuff (done well of course). I had some on my bike's pipes, and on the headers of a drag car I piloted for a while. Both of them took considerable abuse, the stacks on the rail had dents from sloppy ratchet work but the coating remained.

Your statement about a "fighting gun" caught me sort of strange. Please understand that I am so conservative I make Ted Cruz look like Bernie Sanders so I'm not picking a fight. I do also understand that a duty weapon is not there to balance the handcuffs and magazines on the other side of your belt. That statement though seems like just the sort of thing you would hear thrown back at an officer in a LoD investigation. *shrug* Maybe it's because my coffee has not soaked in yet.

How did the Cerakote and the finer etching get along? I have to say I could not bring myself to Cerakote my Colts, but then again I don't carry one as a duty gun so I look at mine differently. None of my guns are safe-queens (except for the Anniversary edition still in the box). You or someone else may cringe that I carry a Sig every day and THAT shows a ton of wear. :)

I LOVE it that a few LEO's still carry 1911's. I see that and I know the officer shoots more than twice a year for his qualification. I used to look at my dad's snub-nosed .38 and shudder (although to be fair he shot a lot more than most detectives and could out-shoot me.)

I would shop around for a used Ed Brown first ( avoid pawn shops and have a gunsmith check it if possible) since theyre a nice 1911 at a good price.

I would pass on Kimber and colt. Colts are good but overpriced and Kimbers are just overpriced.

You cant really go wrong with a Springfield Armory 1911. I own and carry one and love it best bang for the buck in its price point.If you pass the Ed Brown option this would be the next stop on the "get a good 1911 tour"

Rock Island makes a good pistol at a lower price and if you don't go with a springer this is my suggestion.

Remington and Taurus make decent pistols but I cant make myself love them and thereby cant suggest them.

Buy your first 1911 like its going to be your only handgun (mine is) do your homework and heed everyone's warnings/advice, get a great pistol that you are undeniably happy with to commemorate your graduation and hand it down to your children/grandchildren ....if you don't have either, I'll take it.

Most importantly make sure you are happy with it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow lots of love for the Rock Island! This thread has got me itching for one.

Kimber used to be the bee's knees but no longer, I'm afraid. Springfield Armory is good. I have owned about every type of gun made by Ruger EXCEPT a 1911 and a bolt rifle and so far no regrets. But I really love me a compact 1911 and I loved my Paraordnance P10, except there were reliability issues. I hear their new Warthog has addressed them and I am dying to try one out. A compact 1911 bucks a bit but it can be learned, and it is a convenient carry. The best gun is the one in your hand, and a gun that is heavy or awkward or difficult to conceal won't be near to hand for long if your job doesn't require it.

I've found (for me anyway) that carrying or concealing a full size is no harder than a compact. I prefer the full size for shooting so I carry a few extra ounces to know it will be an extension of my arm.

I've found (for me anyway) that carrying or concealing a full size is no harder than a compact. I prefer the full size for shooting so I carry a few extra ounces to know it will be an extension of my arm.

+1
The major concern for concealment is width not length and the 1911 has a rather slim profile which is conducive to concealment thereby making it a good choice.

I have heard about people having trouble hitting targets with commander type pistols due to the shorter sight radius. I have never shot any 1911s but government models so I cannot speak from experience though.

Definitely harder to hide a double-stack. It's also noticeably heavier. The bullets themselves, assuming 180 grain, are 3 ounces heavier. You can feel that pulling your pants down - that's not including what's likely the more significant difference in frame weight.

The most important thing for me though is all the miles I have on a full size 1911. I can snap shoot a plate at 7 yards every time. I've run with them, jumped with them, occasionally swam with them and slept with them (only a veteran knows what I'm talking about here ). It's like an old girlfriend.

I have been carrying a full-sized 1911 concealed for about 15 years now, it conceals more easily than the Glock 23, due to the fat grips on the 23. For that matter, my 4" S&W Model 66 .357 revolver conceals more readily than the glock because the only wide part (the cylinder) is under the belt.

I carry a super tuned Smith & Wesson model 13 that I just love. If my 1911 is not on me, the Smith is. Love a wheel gun!

Your statement about a "fighting gun" caught me sort of strange. Please understand that I am so conservative I make Ted Cruz look like Bernie Sanders so I'm not picking a fight. I do also understand that a duty weapon is not there to balance the handcuffs and magazines on the other side of your belt. That statement though seems like just the sort of thing you would hear thrown back at an officer in a LoD investigation. *shrug* Maybe it's because my coffee has not soaked in yet.

I can't speak for nitesite but "fighting gun" can apply to a firearm that you train with extensively with the intent to use as a defensive firearm. For example, when I shot lots of IDPA and took lots of defensive handgunning courses I had some specific pistols I used, and they were the ones that I concealed carried and had at the bedside. This is opposed to fancy stuff that only saw the target range or a BBQ, guns that might look good or have historical/personal significance but were not intended (by me) to be used for a defensive use. So lots of finish wear on a "fighting gun" indicated lots of use from practice and daily carry, versus a "safe queen" that only saw daylight when it came out of a padded case to be 'ooh and ahh'd' over. Doesn't mean I WANT to shoot someone with that pistol, it is just the one that I trained with and carried in case I ever had to do so.

I get it. Was just musing that it seemed like the sort of thing you'd wish you had not said if a anti-gun person turned it on you. Believe me I work mine and know what he meant. Just a passing observation. Certainly was not meant to be inflammatory.

I am a big fan of the 1911. I carry a lightweight commander a lot in colder weather.

My comments:

Glocks are easier to fields strip by a large margin. I have carried a Glock a lot both in the U.S. and Iraq. As a matter of fact, unless you are in the military, any place outside the U.S., you will be issued a Glock. Many operators consider the Glock more reliable. I like them better than than the Beretta 96d by a wide margin and the 92f by a smaller margin. I still prefer a 1911.

lightweight commanders are great. I do not see the need for a steel framed one.

the full size is not that hard to conceal it is just heavier.

the ruger seems to be the bargain at this time.

I no longer look at other countries as inferior in manufacturing. Often due to cheaper labor the can do superior handwork at a price point. Compare a Spanish gun to an English made double.

some people cannot shoot a 1911 or a High Power without a beaver tail safety, due to large hands. If you need one, it is usually cheaper to get a gun so equipped.

Good luck with your purchase.

Congrats on your degree. Is your degree in mechanical engineering? If it is I suggest building your own 1911. I had the opportunity a few years back to do just that and the experience has taught me a whole bunch on the 1911 alone as well as general gunsmithing. A collateral benefit is that you will know your 1911 inside and out as they can be finicky as production guns. Besides, few things are more fun than a custom 1911, and one that you built yourself.

Top Bottom