What's new

Let's gather up the C.V Heljestrand "MK"

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A half or quarter hollow will shave more like your Japanese razors, that’s the grind the Japanese liked. A full hollow razor shaves like your M.K. 31 and others in the M.K. 3x series, Filarmonica, most Le Grelot, etc.

A half or quarter hollow will shave more like your Japanese razors, that’s the grind the Japanese liked. A full hollow razor shaves like your M.K. 31 and others in the M.K. 3x series, Filarmonica, most Le Grelot, etc.

Thx Steve56, as explanation helps alot
Does grinds say 1/2 hollow add more weight or has nothing to do with weight but shape of blade grind?

Thx in advance

Steve56

The heavier grinds will be heavier in hand. The thicker steel adds weight - that’s why I am not a fan of 7/8” English choppers unless they’re hollow ground, they’re just too heavy for my taste.

Thiers-Issard make a 7/8” ‘Basic Black’ model for The Invisible Edge, a UK dealer, that is really a big Dovo Bismarck that usually isn’t overground on domed wheels. It’s surprisingly light, the C135 steel is superb, and it’s cheap enough that you can rescale the Basic Black series and still have a deal. Thiers-Issard wants a lot of money for their nicer scales, and none of them are as nice as $80-$100 customs.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
This has to be one of a kind... It could be used as a down payment on a house!

Assuming real tortoise scales, they must easily be in the $1,000 range for each one. Maybe my estimate is too low.
I'd say too low, I'm thinking that could go at auction for $12,000-20,000 as a set. I could definitely be wrong, but if you put two serious razor collectors in a room with these things, only one may walk out alive!

Steve56

I saw a 7-day set of MK 33 ( I think) go for about $1k on a BST about 18 months 2 years ago. The current prices seem to be around $2,500 for a 7 day set in ivory or tortoise, MK 32/33. That seems low, but the price of a 7-day set will be quite a bit less than 7 x 1 razor.

Razors/sets bring what the market will bear, and the market won‘t bear $12k - 20k. Offer $15k for a set and you will have your choice of multiples of 7-day sets in ivory or tortoise. This may change in time I suppose.

I saw a 7-day set of MK 33 ( I think) go for about $1k on a BST about 18 months 2 years ago. The current prices seem to be around $2,500 for a 7 day set in ivory or tortoise, MK 32/33. That seems low, but the price of a 7-day set will be quite a bit less than 7 x 1 razor.

Razors/sets bring what the market will bear, and the market won‘t bear $12k - 20k. Offer $15k for a set and you will have your choice of multiples of 7-day sets in ivory or tortoise. This may change in time I suppose.
You're likely right, I just feel they are so scarce that someone may drop that kind of cash. BUT it wouldn't be me! $700 for a tortoise 33, it would have to be pristine!

Steve56

I don’t think that they’re all that scarce, except that they were an upscale product made for an upscale market which makes them less common than ’average’ sets/razors.

People complain that Filarmonica 14s are scarce, but they are in fact pretty common. One that’s pristine and at full width may be worth more than many will pay, but scarce they are not.

Yet another seven day set of tortoise scales for this thread.
MK 32 with the days in French.
Someday I'll post my MK 4 set with the days written in Swedish.
For English speakers, days of the week in Swedish
are much easier to read, than in French.

DSCN1231b.jpg DSCN1230b.jpg DSCN1229b.jpg DSCN1228b.jpg DSCN1227b.jpg

using the @Steve56 method of interior foil reflective lighting for tortoise scales.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My new (to me) Mk No. 24. Arrived from France today. I have no idea of its age. Perhaps someone can chime in.

Displ;ay Open.JPG

Profile Face Open.JPG

Front Shank.JPG

Rear Shank.JPG

I would class the grind on this SR as a near wedge. Certainly the most wedgy blade that I have.

Grind.JPG

I can't put a date on it but the MK numbered razors came later, after the razors that only had the number.
I agree, I can't find the sourcing but from memory, Magnus Kindal was heavily involved beginning around 1905 and officially bought the company in the mid-20s, which is when he started heavily exporting the MK series. The company was in business until 1980, FWIW. @Polarbeard has made some extensive posts on the subject but of course some details are left to educated speculation. Also (and I wish I could find this link) on another forum, possibly a French one, there was some great information from one of the Kindal granddaughters that filled in a lot of the gaps as far as the history between 1900-1930, especially with regard to the company's financial situation and Magnus Kindal's business decisions.

Top Bottom