What's new

Let's gather up the C.V Heljestrand "MK"

Description from vendor

Scales
Material: Original Pre-1900 Elephant Ivory
Pinning: Washerless Nickel silver original pins
Condition: Glossy and lovely restored with no flaws, the blade is held tightly and centers properly between the scales

Interesting, based on the shape/thickness of the scales I would have guessed plastic.

Also original pins on ivory/tortoise didnt have collars from the ones I have seen so far. Only time I have seen collars is when the razor was restored but you say original pins.

Last edited:
Interesting, based on the shape/thickness of the scales I would have guessed plastic.

Also original pins on ivory/tortoise didnt have collars from the ones I have seen so far. Only time I have seen collars is when the razor was restored but you say original pins.

Thx Alex , I know nothing about these razors so only going on trusted vendor and information

Here is the original posting

View attachment C.V. Heljestrand MK No.31 1116 Blade - Near Mint Eskilstuna Sweden St – Griffith Shaving Goods.pdf

proxy.php

Yeah that's why I said - I would have guessed. Matt is a trusted vendor and he knows his stuff. I have bought plenty of razors from him myself and check his site daily.
Mistakes do happen sometimes during listings so maybe some close up pics or just email him and ask. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I have bought from Matt and I trust him. The razor will come in shave ready. You just need to strop and shave.

Biut as I see, this razor is sold out.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Griffith Shaving is a solid source.

I have had a M.K.32 with ivory scales with pin washers. It looked like plastic, no easily visible Schreger lines at all. Arne, @Polarbeard - suggested that the scales were supplied by Jernbolaget. But apparently Jernbolaget did not make their own razors... Go figure.

Anyway, white-ish, plasticky looking ivory scales with pin collars on Swedish razors apparently did exist.

Griffith Shaving is a solid source.

I have had a M.K.32 with ivory scales with pin washers. It looked like plastic, no easily visible Schreger lines at all. Arne, @Polarbeard - suggested that the scales were supplied by Jernbolaget. But apparently Jernbolaget did not make their own razors... Go figure.

Anyway, white-ish, plasticky looking ivory scales with pin collars on Swedish razors apparently did exist.

Thx u

Can someone educate me on scale material,, hopefully she is in not to bad shape and has some life remaining,, if my memory and thread info correct , MK 6, half hollow different type steel?
Patiently awaiting arrival and more detailed inspection,,thx in advance [emoji3]

Can someone educate me on scale material,, hopefully she is in not to bad shape and has some life remaining,, if my memory and thread info correct , MK 6, half hollow different type steel?
Patiently awaiting arrival and more detailed inspection,,thx in advance [emoji3]
It looks like it’s Bakelite. It’s oxidized so not the usual black, you could sand it down to be black again but it will give off an awful smell.

She arrived early
First day at the spa and initial inspection,
Rub a dub dub, rub rub rub, mother’s polish
I purchased knowing she was not pretty but would there be enough meat left on bone.
Razor light pitting and minor light rust, but think pitting, mothers working, sanding polish needed but still investigating, blade no chips, and most surprisingly it has an edge on it, tested on arm and shaved hair off, minimal to no bevel ware, but it has an edge on it,I believe if I strop it it will shave), but after more spa treatments, she will head to the stones for surgery, I am tempted to test as is ,

Scales,,,,
As indicated are Hefty and have good balance weight, material looks feels not manmade but has look and feel of of type natural, been advise they are oxidized but they look stunning, an almost tortoise, ( wishful thinking on my part)[emoji28], but some unique patina material , I like it as it fits retro vintage of razor

Back to the blade, appears plenty meat on bone and thick spine
6/8 half hollow
More spa treatments and TLC needed
Blade hefty along with scale weight or should I say scale density, makes overall hefty smooth instrument
( will she hone up, or can I hone her up, will she shave? Questions questions, stay tuned
Upon seeing this vintage legendary pedigree tool for sale, I could not resist and thus far she is very woot the den
Cheers all
proxy.php

She arrived early
First day at the spa and initial inspection,
Rub a dub dub, rub rub rub, mother’s polish
I purchased knowing she was not pretty but would there be enough meat left on bone.
Razor light pitting and minor light rust, but think pitting, mothers working, sanding polish needed but still investigating, blade no chips, and most surprisingly it has an edge on it, tested on arm and shaved hair off, minimal to no bevel ware, but it has an edge on it,I believe if I strop it it will shave), but after more spa treatments, she will head to the stones for surgery, I am tempted to test as is ,

Scales,,,,
As indicated are Hefty and have good balance weight, material looks feels not manmade but has look and feel of of type natural, been advise they are oxidized but they look stunning, an almost tortoise, ( wishful thinking on my part)[emoji28], but some unique patina material , I like it as it fits retro vintage of razor

Back to the blade, appears plenty meat on bone and thick spine
6/8 half hollow
More spa treatments and TLC needed
Blade hefty along with scale weight or should I say scale density, makes overall hefty smooth instrument
( will she hone up, or can I hone her up, will she shave? Questions questions, stay tuned
Upon seeing this vintage legendary pedigree tool for sale, I could not resist and thus far she is very welcome to the den
Cheers all
proxy.php

Nice razor, scales could be ebonite.

Thx as confused about material,, would you say the pattern is intentional or oxidized?
Trying to learn as much as i can about this particular model, MK 6

Interesting info in earlier post as having a more harder forged steel, going to reread earlier post, but referring to experts on these master shaving instruments,

Just aged, iirc i rubbed some neets foot and it looked a bit better. I can’t remember why i chose neets foot though, so I’d ask around on the resto subf.

Thx, Interesting post and comments on page 1, of this thread about MK6 series, especially the steel

2nd shave coming up today
Yesterday shaved with. 31, and will note comparisons, as a newbi to these marvelous shaving instruments.

Top Bottom