What's new

Let's gather up the C.V Heljestrand "MK"

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Your replies on my MK No.24 age question concur with my initial thoughts. The scales on this SR are of a mass-produced variety that were very commonly used by many manufacturers in England, Russia and Sweden in about the 1920s to 1940s and to a lesser extent beyond.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
MK No.31 NOS pair unstamped blanks
IMG_3298.jpeg

Here's an unusual one that I'd never seen before I lucked into it, in a lot of old razors I picked up on the cheap.

BK 41. With a grind that I imagine might've been called '1/4 hollow', but on a 4/8 razor that comes out as near wedge.

IMG-8519 (1).jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

I rather like its kookiness, though it is horrifically difficult to hone, and I've still not managed it perfectly yet. Might give another go later...

Something to try from one of the old hands on SRP for honing wedges - use a layer of tape and make sure that the tape extends about halfway down the blade. I haven’t tried it myself as I don’t have many razors that heavily ground, so pot luck. And good luck!

Ah cheers Steve, good to know. Especially because taping was going to be my next plan of attack, and because it’s 4/8 - normal electrical tape goes about halfway down each side anyway.

I have shaved with this razor before, but without tape I’d not managed to set the bevel perfectly all the way along the edge, and it’d be nice to have the whole length working properly…

Fingers crossed!

Here's an unusual one that I'd never seen before I lucked into it, in a lot of old razors I picked up on the cheap.

BK 41. With a grind that I imagine might've been called '1/4 hollow', but on a 4/8 razor that comes out as near wedge.

View attachment 1810031

View attachment 1810033

View attachment 1810034

I rather like its kookiness, though it is horrifically difficult to hone, and I've still not managed it perfectly yet. Might give another go later...
Here is my NOS bk 41 next to my abused MK 7. Mine appears to have a near wedge grind but I am not an expert at determining exact grinds.
20240311_114723.jpg
20240311_114855.jpg

Here is my NOS bk 41 next to my abused MK 7. Mine appears to have a near wedge grind but I am not an expert at determining exact grinds.View attachment 1810502View attachment 1810503

That’s interesting eh! Completely different size to my one, which was also basically unused when I got it I think. And the scales probably wouldn’t accommodate a 5/8 or 6/8. (The spine wear in my pics above is from my initial attempts to hone it without tape).

That’s interesting eh! Completely different size to my one, which was also basically unused when I got it I think. And the scales probably wouldn’t accommodate a 5/8 or 6/8. (The spine wear in my pics above is from my initial attempts to hone it without tape).

Or possibly I could be wrong, and mine had actually had an extensive reworking before I got.

I just picked it up in a dirt cheap lot of old razors, couldn’t see what any of them were from the pics, and don’t know any provenance.

Top Bottom