What's new

Lawyers, do I have any recourse?

The Cliff Notes Summary of Getting Gouged by the Movers

In March I was told to deploy. I didn't want to keep an apartment and make a $1300 rent payment if I wasn't going to be living there so I hired movers to get my stuff out and into storage as I didn't know anyone who could help me and didn't have much time.

I searched online to find a moving company. I decided on a company in Rockville, MD (Best Time Movers) because they provided the lowest quote.

Quote 1: $455.00 in writing
Quote 2: $575.00 in writing a day later
Final Bill: $1538.00 after they showed up three days later

I asked why it had gone up and they said, "Well, your stuff isn't adequately prepared to go into our storage unit so we had to do all the packaging using our materials so you're charged for the cost of the materials and the additional time associated with that." Ok, whatever. My mistake. I've never done this before. Privately I seethed as this was the first month I'd never not been able to pay off a credit card in full during the 10 years I'd had a card.

So, deployed and came home. Went to get my stuff back from them as it was in their storage and they gave me a quote.

Quote 1: $597 in writing
Quote 2: $747.00 in writing a day later
Final Bill: $863.00 after they showed up two days later with my stuff

I called them up the main office and asked why the discrepancy because I remembered what had happened the first time (once is a mistake...twice is a business model). I wanted to get to the bottom of why they couldn't arrive at the figure they quoted. After all, the document says "Book today and receive this price."

Me: Why is it that the number I was quoted and was told I would pay is not what I have to pay? If I cancel now, you keep my stuff and I have to pay a $300 cancellation fee. This doesn't make sense.
Movers: Well, it's just an estimate.
Me: Then why does it say I "receive the price" if I book it? It does not say "estimated price". It says "Total Moving Rate = $747". Further down you say it's an estimate, but if it's an estimate why do you say I "receive the price." That's kind of like saying "Yes" when you actually mean "Maybe." Also, it's not an estimate because estimates, by definition, are close. You're not close. The high figures you quoted me for moving out and then moving back in total approximately $1300 ($575 + $747), yet I have ended up paying $2400. That is an 80% discrepancy.
Movers (in extremely flippant tone): Well, it's an estimate.
Me: Look, we just covered the reasons why it's not actually an estimate. I am asking you to perform basic math--not launch the space shuttle. Why are you not competent? I am not upset at the final price. I am upset that the final price is not the price you quoted. If you had told me that this was going to be the price I could budget for that. I can't budget for 80% off. When I make mistakes someone dies and/or I go to jail. When you screw up you get more of my money. Explain that.
Movers: Excuse me, Sir.
Me: No, you're not excused. I want an explanation. The only way you're excused is if you're going out to grab a calculator to replace the abbacus you're currently using to perform math functions. Why the disparity?
Movers: Well, you live 128 miles away from our office so the additional money is for the drive time.
Me: I lived 128 miles away from you three days ago too. I didn't move further away in three days. You have 128 miles listed on the $597 quote too. Then it went to $747 and I assumed that you were factoring the mileage into that because you have the mileage itemized on the quote.
Movers: Well, I don't know what to say to that.
Me: Here's what I think: you over promise and under deliver. You get business by quoting extremely low and then after people are on the hook if they cancel, you arrive, jack the price up by saying that there stuff doesn't meet your subjective packing standards. Then you add drive time on even though you itemize that in your initial "estimate". Once is a mistake. Twice is a business model isn't it?
Movers: I don't have to answer that.
Me: Ironically enough, in not answering my question you have sufficently answered it. In terms of integrity, your organization ranks somewhere right below Benedict Arnold who was hanged for treason.

So, today I did what I should have done from the start: research...and it turns out I'm the naive idiot. I looked these guys up on Better Business Bureau. Their grade? F. I looked up moving company reviews and these guys do this every week. There are numerous instances where people have called the cops on them because they quote a price, show up and jack the price up. When people refuse to pay they hold your belongings hostage...which is illegal and the cops have to force the workers to offload them. The company goes on websites and their employees write glowing reviews of their service to counteract all the bad information out there.

So, for any lawyers out there, is there anything I can do besides write a bad review? These guys look like they're cloaked in a veil of protection after reading all of the fine print (i.e. Binding Estimates vs. Non-Binding Estimates). I don't really expect to get any money back in a civil suit. It would probably cost more than I would get back. It's more about principle that anything.

The actual movers are Hispanic gentlemen who do a good job, but the customer service people at the main office are scumbags. I speak enough Spanish to converse and I spoke with the workers. When I offered to tip them (they actually did a good job) because I figured they were getting screwed by their company, the workers said they could only accept cash because they don't have bank accounts (I didn't have cash on me)...which got me thinking that the company is possibly using undocumented workers.

To stem the anger, I am doing the only thing I know will work: buying shaving supplies from Phil at Bullgoose, swirling a Simpson's Tulip in some of Mama Bear's finest stuff (Acqua di Gio), breaking out the Aristocrat, conducting three passes, and then moisturizing.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I dunno about lawyering this, but the local newspaper or TV station could do a great story about our heroes in uniform getting screwed by these crooks.

This is the sort of thing an young investigative reporter dreams about.

I dunno about lawyering this, but the local newspaper or TV station could do a great story about our heroes in uniform getting screwed by these crooks.

^this
One of the tv stations here in Nashville have a part every week called "it aint right". this would be right up their alley.

+1 - This sounds like a great idea to me. I've lived in a few places and at least one news station in every place had segments like this. It's really funny how a company will change their story when faced with the possibility of a horrible story like this appearing on the news for the whole city to see.

+1

Think long and hard about what your motive is ...

if you want money back, then suing them in a Small Claims Court is fairly easy. You don't even need to hire a lawyer. Considering that they left a paper trail, all you need to do is show the judge your documentation, and it seems like an open and shut case. If you're lucky, they may not even show up to defend themselves, in which case, you receive a Judgement by Default. (Actually collecting on that judgement is a whole different matter, and may prove extremely difficult.)

On the other hand, if you desire revenge, then expose them on TV like Topgumby suggested. It will embarass them enough that they may close their doors, although more than likely, they will re-open under another name and continue running the same scam.

If you had just returned to your unit in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne, Australia I'd tell you to ring Today Tonight, who love this ****.

When our boys & ladies get shipped out they have a nice list of "in contract" removalists that Defence picks up the tab for. Seems you lads over there just get screwed.

Having said that, there's gotta be some sorta way you can make sure they never get to rip off any other servicemen isn't there? Unit blacklists or some such?

edit:
Just another example that in the current age you can only really go from word of mouth from people you personally know and trust.

A few year's ago i had the same thing happen(even the repack)I saw my lawyer($35.) who called them and i was given the original fee.
Now i have legal insurance($21.per mo). It's a cutthroat world.
I wish you good result's.:huh:

On a similar note, another shady group to watch out for is "Estate Buyers." These are small businesses that will liquidate the contents of a home, such as when a family member passes away and the house needs to be sold.

Once the immediate family goes through and gets first pick of any possessions, the Estate Buyers will offer to clean out the remainder and pay you a nominal sum for the goods. Then they take all the furniture and other items to auction and sell to collectors.

They will have you sign a contract, spelling out the terms under which they work ... an hourly fee for labor, a sum for cleaning materials, offset by the value of the goods they haul away. They give you the impression that you will be making money on the deal.

I've gone through this process twice in my life, and its been painful and protracted each time. The movers are rude, crude and dumb. They took away things they weren't supposed to, including some antiques and family memorabilia that were clearly marked to be saved. One even scooped up some pots and pans in the kitchen that still had food cooking in them, and started a small fire in the process.

Despite their claims that you will wind up making money on the deal, invariably, I had to pay them at the end of the contract. And neither time was cheap ... between the two houses, I think we were out close to $3,000. Then they took our excess goods and made a profit on top of that, too.

Last edited:
Moving companies are notorious for this type of bait and switch. I'd go to Conciliation Court if I were you. Its a bit of a free-for-all, but it usually goes in favor of the person 'wronged' by the company. They may not even show up. You'd then have to deal with a judgment and getting that enforced/collected, but its a fairly short and efficient process with a limited up-front filing fee.

In my experience, the whole go to the media thing is way overhyped. It so rarely happens and is so transient in effect that it is just a waste of time. That company has had quite a few such complaints I would guess and they would give it a big 'so what'.

Not to change the thread - but the OP's realized later he should have checked with the Better Business Bureau. I did when I chose a moving company to move from Fort Lauderdale to St. Petersburg FL.

We had some damage to the furniture which was fixed immediately after filing a claim. Plus, the moving company called me the very next day to find out how our moved went. I told them OK - but that two of the movers took too many smoke breaks resulting in my move costing me $300 more than the estimate. One week later - without asking - I received a check for $500. When I called the moving company to inquire why the check with no letter or explanation, they said it was to reimburse me for the excessive costs above the estimates and that a letter was being sent but they wanted me to get the check as fast as possible.

I have moved many times - and this was the first time I had an experience like that! :thumbup1:

Your should first check and determine if your state licenses movers; if they do, there is an administrative process to adjudicate such disputes. Use it; it's free.

If it was an interstate move, the ICC, if I remember correctly adjudicates disputes and complaints.

If not, small claims court should be your forum. Hiring a lawyer is not realistic; I bill at $350 an hour and I think that's fairly standard, so a lawyer is simply not cost effective.

Small claims court is great for suing an individual however your suing a company from outside your state. You experience delays and requests to move the issue to their state and if by some chance you win just try and collect from them.

I've had moves through working for the Fed Govt and often times your just assigned someone and even though the Govt pays the outfits are bottom feeders and I've had so much damage to goods and delays even with buying optional insurance I wound up on the short end.

I am not a lawyer, but I did like your witty comebacks . Nice job :thumbup1:

Good luck with this. What they did is not right, especially since you are serving the country they live in :thumbdown

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's a lesson learned in terms of conducting research.

The fact that I'm in the military is moot in my opinion. It's wrong if it happens to anyone...regardless of what they do for a living.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+1

Think long and hard about what your motive is ...

if you want money back, then suing them in a Small Claims Court is fairly easy. You don't even need to hire a lawyer. Considering that they left a paper trail, all you need to do is show the judge your documentation, and it seems like an open and shut case. If you're lucky, they may not even show up to defend themselves, in which case, you receive a Judgement by Default. (Actually collecting on that judgement is a whole different matter, and may prove extremely difficult.)

On the other hand, if you desire revenge, then expose them on TV like Topgumby suggested. It will embarass them enough that they may close their doors, although more than likely, they will re-open under another name and continue running the same scam.

Go to the local small claims court & file, then call the Teevee, tell your neighbors, look in local papers for an advertising lawyer, but give him nothing until he makes you a promise .. Then post your experience at your base, I'm also sorry that servicemen are treated this way ..

My law license is in retirement, so the advice is free

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's a lesson learned in terms of conducting research.

The fact that I'm in the military is moot in my opinion. It's wrong if it happens to anyone...regardless of what they do for a living.

Dude, why didn't you just go through the household goods office on base? That doesn't cost you a single penny, and they come do all the work. You're also better protected there, as the movers know that if they screw up their government contract is ended. Broken items now get full replacement value to boot.

1. Get a large box.
2. Place scumbags in box.
3. Ship box to nigeria, where they belong.

Sorry to hear about your experience... I used to do moving during my first year of college, and we would hear these stories from clients about past moves all the time.

Top Bottom