What's new

Laphroaig 25YO!

I saw this, if you can believe it, at the local grocery store last night. Did my eyes deceive me, or is this a $550 scotch?

I love the 10YO and the Quarter Cask. Has anyone even tried the 25YO? I can't fathom spending that much money on a bottle of scotch.

Tried the 25 yo. I thought it had been in the oak too long. Whisky doesn't necessarily keep getting better. The 18 yo is grand stuff. I still have several bottles of the 15 yo and can be found on special nights (those ending in"y") sipping a piece of it.

Huge rip. Costco has a deal on a 20 YO for $40 right now. Not an Islay I don't think but their stuff is normally quality. Lagavulin 18 is pretty tops and I doubt the Phroaig is $475 better than that.

Signed,
I don't want to know :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Never tried it, never will ... unless someone else is paying, and I don't have friends that rich.

I while back, my new Malt Mentor*, Ralfy, mentioned that peaty Islays don't get better with age ... the peat dissipates or some such thing ... so tis best to get 'em while they're young. (Now I sound like Benny Hill ... :001_unsur)

*(I suppose that would be a Malt Mention.)

There's definitely a balance. I've drunk both young and old (from new make Laphroaig, just off the still to a 40yo Bowmore) and there's definitely a 'sweet spot'.

Generally, for whiskies I reckon it's at about 18yo. Then it's lost the 'spirit' flavour, but it hasn't lost all its sweetness to woodyness - it all balances nicely. But it also depends on both the spirit and the wood. I've tried good, old spirit, and great, young spirit, but generally, if I've got free reign in a hospitality bar, I'll gravitate straight to 18yo.

Thanks for the input, guys. Regarding the 18yo "sweet spot" theory - do you think it applies to bourbons as well? I've never had any of the Pappy Van Winkles, but isn't the 20yo regarded more highly than the 23yo?

Top Bottom