What's new

Lambda Athena

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
From another forum... honestly they should get a move on with the production, too slow compared to the rest
waiting lists etc etc the competition is strong
I get your point, though, I'm waiting for my name to come up on the Wolfman list... a 3 month wait... and I waited around 10 weeks for my first La Faulx... less for the SS La Faulx razor head I purchased.

Theo is running around 3 months in between batches.... I didn't mind. I would like to see the stainless steel models become part of his regular product line....

I get your point, though, I'm waiting for my name to come up on the Wolfman list... a 3 month wait... and I waited around 10 weeks for my first La Faulx... less for the SS La Faulx razor head I purchased.

Theo is running around 3 months in between batches.... I didn't mind. I would like to see the stainless steel models become part of his regular product line....
Wolfman is not Lambda... if Lambda intends to position itself at Wolfman levels it must offer more models, more handle options etc etc otherwise we are not there
The same goes for Atelier Durdan, the wait is there but it has 4 razors on the list with various plates and different materials... it's certainly not Lambda

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
3 months of waiting for a razor with only one material and no handle option, seems too much to me sir
Like I said... I really do understand your point. I have two Athenas and feel privileged to own them. I got to choose the serial number for the second one, which I thought was a nice touch.

I don't know what kind of capacity Theo's machinery has nor do I understand the working conditions in Greece. I do know, from email conversations, he's designing razor stands for both models, but is so busy with the Athena and Ares batches, it will be a while before I can order one or two of them.

Does anyone know if Lambda is Theo's part time job or is he able to make a living working full time making razors?

Wolfman is not Lambda... if Lambda intends to position itself at Wolfman levels it must offer more models, more handle options etc etc otherwise we are not there
The same goes for Atelier Durdan, the wait is there but it has 4 razors on the list with various plates and different materials... it's certainly not Lambda
I was felt it was quality not quantity that matters. Lambda is of the highest creative quality. I don't really care if it has multiple handles and metals. What is does have is excellence in product. To me that is all that matters.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It seems that producing razors isn't his first job, he does other things for a living
If his desire is to make razors full time, I hope he is successful. My guess, and it's only a guess, if he does that, his prices would likely increase... I've seen posts here about the initial costs of Wolfman razors. I came in late in the game and paid considerably more for mine.

If his desire is to make razors full time, I hope he is successful. My guess, and it's only a guess, if he does that, his prices would likely increase... I've seen posts here about the initial costs of Wolfman razors. I came in late in the game and paid considerably more for mine.
They are already increasing...unfortunately

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I have this odd thing... I don't understand it.. but I don't like using mismatched colors for razor heads and handles. It makes no sense... I only use bronze razor handles on my bronze or brass razors.... because the colors are close... SS razor heads, I match with the Ti Crown, tis true.

For that reason, I've never used a Ti Crown on the Athena.... or the bronze La Faulx, either... but I am using the Ti Crown on the SS La Faulx razor head... like I said... It makes little sense.
I laugh because I am the same, as well as agreeing with previous comments. I will sell a razor if I don’t love every part of it. The idea of mixing handles and heads, especially if the colors or finishes are different, is out of the realm of possibility for me.

I’ll go one step farther: before the Athena, I would not buy a razor without a stand designed for that razor (vintage is the exception). I have stands that will work with every razor I own, but, I’ve never tried. I guess I’ll have to settle on the beautiful mahogany box.

This mental imperfection of mine may present an opportunity for some intrepid B&B-er if Yates decides to not restock the stands to match my 921-M titanium. If I can’t get a stand, I will sell it. I have my eye on an Atelier Durdan Le Maurice anyway, but, I have too many razors for another to fit in my rotation.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a bronze Wolfman WR2 basic polish and a La Faulx bronze premium polish razor.... I have to say, to my eyes, admittedly 70 year old eyes but good glasses, the finish on the Athenas I have are that good. The other thing I noticed, I don't have to buff the Athenas much... hardly ever, in fact. But when I use the Wolfman or the La Faulx, I always have to wipe them down with my finishing micro fiber towel to bring them back to shiny, pristine condition. I'm guessing it has something to do with the particular marine bronze Theo uses, but I'm far from an expert.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I laugh because I am the same, as well as agreeing with previous comments. I will sell a razor if I don’t love every part of it. The idea of mixing handles and heads, especially if the colors or finishes are different, is out of the realm of possibility for me.

I’ll go one step farther: before the Athena, I would not buy a razor without a stand designed for that razor (vintage is the exception). I have stands that will work with every razor I own, but, I’ve never tried. I guess I’ll have to settle on the beautiful mahogany box.

This mental imperfection of mine may present an opportunity for some intrepid B&B-er if Yates decides to not restock the stands to match my 921-M titanium. If I can’t get a stand, I will sell it. I have my eye on an Atelier Durdan Le Maurice anyway, but, I have too many razors for another to fit in my rotation.
As has been mentioned by me and several others, it won't be too long (not sure what "too long" means <eg>), we'll see Lambda offer stands for the Athena and Ares. I would love to buy one from the first batch that comes off the production line but the demand is pretty high. I did ask Theo to put my name on the list, when they become available.

Yes others mentioned have no quality, yes of course 😂
Konrad, come on. You are taking things out of context. Absolutely, the Wolfman is of high quality at a very high price. Lambda is of high quality at a fairly reasonable price. Both companies are top tier. Your point was that Lambda should have more options to their product line. I merely pointed out that options were secondary to quality. Nothing more, nothing less.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
My wife often comments that my patience is in the range of a hungry toddler.

I was on Theo’s wait list for a few weeks, no word on the next drop. I figured that there were many, many guys ahead of me anyway.

I saw on BST an Athena pop up. Asked for more pictures, seller sent them. There were several fine scratches on the cap and a blemish on the handle. The price was good, so, I bought it. I figured I could take it to a local machine shop and borrow their buffing wheel.

Seller sent me a pic of the shipping label, then it dropped off the radar. No tracking info, nada. Must be lost, yeah?

Have i mentioned that I have limited patience?

Another Athena came up on BST. Good price, brand new/unused/flawless razor. I also bought that one, expecting to be filing an insurance claim for the first.

Anyway, the first one I bought showed up yesterday. The scratches looked much worse in the photos. It took me less than a half hour with Midas Touch, followed by Simichrome, to get it as close to mint as I need it to be. Under the brightest of light, at the right angle, I can see one of the scratches on the cap; the handle is perfect.

The second Athena is due to be delivered two days hence.

I went from being on a seemingly endless wait list to owning two of them over the course of a week. I will be keeping the first and putting the second (the unused one) on BST as soon as I am able (15 days, I think, since I just posted a Feather SR today).

Don’t tell her I said this, but, my wife might be right. I think I’m one of those guys who isn’t meant to be retired.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife often comments that my patience is in the range of a hungry toddler.

I was on Theo’s wait list for a few weeks, no word on the next drop. I figured that there were many, many guys ahead of me anyway.

I saw on BST an Athena pop up. Asked for more pictures, seller sent them. There were several fine scratches on the cap and a blemish on the handle. The price was good, so, I bought it. I figured I could take it to a local machine shop and borrow their buffing wheel.

Seller sent me a pic of the shipping label, then it dropped off the radar. No tracking info, nada. Must be lost, yeah?

Have i mentioned that I have limited patience?

Another Athena came up on BST. Good price, brand new/unused/flawless razor. I also bought that one, expecting to be filing an insurance claim for the first.

Anyway, the first one I bought showed up yesterday. The scratches looked much worse in the photos. It took me less than a half hour with Midas Touch, followed by Simichrome, to get it as close to mint as I need it to be. Under the brightest of light, at the right angle, I can see one of the scratches on the cap; the handle is perfect.

The second Athena is due to be delivered two days hence.

I went from being on a seemingly endless wait list to owning two of them over the course of a week. I will be keeping the first and putting the second (the unused one) on BST as soon as I am able (15 days, I think, since I just posted a Feather SR today).

Don’t tell her I said this, but, my wife might be right. I think I’m one of those guys who isn’t meant to be retired.
I hope those who are interested in a brand new Athena will be watching this thread and BST to see when you post it.... I'm sure they are.

Top Bottom