What's new

Lambda Athena

Isn't the handle part of the awesome Athena experience though?
Quite the opposite for me. In my hand (YMMV etc.), I'll use any handle except for the Athena handle.

From what I've read in this thread, I'm likely in the minority in this regard. My comments about it are a few pages up.

I'll be using my only spare handle, the Razorock HALO 100mm titanium. It should be an experience. Thanks to Wgg2017.
I've been using my shortened (to about 88mm) RR Ti Halo and it balances beautifully in my hands with the Athena head.

... Thom

That’s funny, I’ve been using an Athena for 2 weeks now, and reading this thread it sounds to me like I’m in the minority because I do like the handle. I was worried I wouldn’t like it because of the flat parts near the top that seem to draw so many complaints, but I find they actually help me hold the otherwise rather smooth handle without slippage. But I’m also pretty sure I’m in the minority in that I’d sell a razor rather than use it with a non-OEM handle, no matter how much I liked the head.

That said, it’s very generous of @Wgg2017 to donate his spare cap and plate for a pass around. I think that knowing the weight of the Athena handle should let someone pick a handle of similar weight to approximate the balance of the razor with the original handle, if that’s important to anyone besides me. I’d jump on this passaround if I wasn’t already trying one out now.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That’s funny, I’ve been using an Athena for 2 weeks now, and reading this thread it sounds to me like I’m in the minority because I do like the handle. I was worried I wouldn’t like it because of the flat parts near the top that seem to draw so many complaints, but I find they actually help me hold the otherwise rather smooth handle without slippage. But I’m also pretty sure I’m in the minority in that I’d sell a razor rather than use it with a non-OEM handle, no matter how much I liked the head.

That said, it’s very generous of @Wgg2017 to donate his spare cap and plate for a pass around. I think that knowing the weight of the Athena handle should let someone pick a handle of similar weight to approximate the balance of the razor with the original handle, if that’s important to anyone besides me. I’d jump on this passaround if I wasn’t already trying one out now.
I was thinking the same thing for the trial.....The Athena handle weighs 87.1 grams, by my scale...I would think it would be fairly simple to find a handle around that weight, as most of us have SS handles or other metals with a similar weight.

I'm actually with you, @T Bone . I like the OEM Athena handle. I've tried the Athena with a Wolfman 90mm hollow handle that weighs around 40 grams. I immediately switched back to the OEM handle for the 3 pass. I know others love lighter weight handles with the Athena.... YMMV, as always.

When I first got the Athena I also had some issues with the handle. I bought the Timeless Ti crown and used it with the Athena for several weeks. It worked wonderfully. I the retried the Athena handle. I figured out the correct way to hold it and it makes the Athena work even better. The design and the weight and balance work perfectly with the Athena head. I have never gone back to the Timeless handle. YMMV as always.
But one thing I have learned about Theo and Lambda, Theo is a genius.

I had no problem holding on to the Athena handle, but given that I was coming from a titanium Timeless, the bronze handle and head of the Athena were a bit heavy to me. I found that using the Spiral handle from my Timeless with the Athena head worked better.

Going forward I plan to use the Athena handle with some of my lighter heads and see how that works out. I also have hopes of one day acquiring an Ares head to pair with the Athena handle. I probably should have gone with an Ares to begin with but I hated the look of its handle. Also, the unique design of the Athena got me.

I use the Athena and Ares handles with the razors. It just seems to me I should since they came with them. If I used them all the time it might be different but they work fine for being in a rotation. I like the Ares handle and razor better than the Athena but both are great. I may eventually try the Timeless crown with the Athena head, it does work well with any razor. I see no reason to not use different handles if that works better for someone and they want to.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Maybe there are more of us than I thought then. I was certain that you were using Athena with one of your 28 Timeless Crown handles but apparently I was wrong. 😉
I have this odd thing... I don't understand it.. but I don't like using mismatched colors for razor heads and handles. It makes no sense... I only use bronze razor handles on my bronze or brass razors.... because the colors are close... SS razor heads, I match with the Ti Crown, tis true.

For that reason, I've never used a Ti Crown on the Athena.... or the bronze La Faulx, either... but I am using the Ti Crown on the SS La Faulx razor head... like I said... It makes little sense.

I have this odd thing... I don't understand it.. but I don't like using mismatched colors for razor heads and handles. It makes no sense... I only use bronze razor handles on my bronze or brass razors.... because the colors are close... SS razor heads, I match with the Ti Crown, tis true.

For that reason, I've never used a Ti Crown on the Athena.... or the bronze La Faulx, either... but I am using the Ti Crown on the SS La Faulx razor head... like I said... It makes little sense.
I agree. It will look strange. I will use the Timeless Ti handle with the La Faulx SS . It’s close enough.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For what it is worth, even on the Steel Athena I use the Athena handle. Didn't even think once about replacing it.

I know many like lighter handles or shorter handles, for me the length is just right, and they look great and fit the razors.

In general I prefer longer handles. There are a few slippery handles (mostly from DSCosmetic) I relegated to not so favorited razors, but the only handle I really do not quite get along with is the Green Cult V2 handle. That one totally rubs me the wrong way. Also deplorable is that the R41 GS handle manages to be not nearly as grippy as its zamac version.

I am all for changing handles on razors. But not on razors that were carefully designed with a specific handle. I believe it takes away from the experience. I use my Karve with its handle, my Blackbird with its handle, but I do change the handle of other razors. If the Athena handle is not that great, let it roam with its head

We all have our quirks. I have to wash my hands after eating and I hate little bits of tomato peel in salsa and canned or jarred tomato products. 🤷‍♂️

However, I think the Athena head looks very good on a matte Timeless titanium handle, even considering the poor photography.

IMG_2649.jpeg

On another note, had a final shave with the Athena tonight with about 5 days of growth. It mowed down my whiskers with no problem. Didn't get clogged or anything. It's a very impressive and versatile razor.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We all have our quirks. I have to wash my hands after eating and I hate little bits of tomato peel in salsa and canned or jarred tomato products. 🤷‍♂️

However, I think the Athena head looks very good on a matte Timeless titanium handle, even considering the poor photography.

View attachment 1814726

On another note, had a final shave with the Athena tonight with about 5 days of growth. It mowed down my whiskers with no problem. Didn't get clogged or anything. It's a very impressive and versatile razor.
I was a bit surprised to see you had it up for sale, but I wasn't surprised it sold immediately. Congrats on the sale.

I was a bit surprised to see you had it up for sale, but I wasn't surprised it sold immediately. Congrats on the sale.

Just for clarification, the one I shaved with tonight is the one going out for the pass around later this week as seen here Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lambda-athena-cap-and-baseplate-pass-around.650782/ if anyone would like to join. The one I sold was never used. While waiting for the replacement, I had determined that the Athena didn't work quite as well as my Timeless so I never used the one that was sold on the bst.

In an attempt to repay Theo's generosity, I started the pass around with the original head that had cosmetic issues due to customs inspection. Hope this makes sense.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Just for clarification, the one I shaved with tonight is the one going out for the pass around later this week as seen here Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lambda-athena-cap-and-baseplate-pass-around.650782/ if anyone would like to join. The one I sold was never used. While waiting for the replacement, I had determined that the Athena didn't work quite as well as my Timeless so I never used the one that was sold on the bst.

In an attempt to repay Theo's generosity, I started the pass around with the original head that had cosmetic issues due to customs inspection. Hope this makes sense.
You listed it as unused, so I assumed you were using the scratched one.

It’s unfortunate it didn’t work out for you. Function before beauty.

I've been using a borrowed Athena for a couple of weeks now and really like it. I'm leaning toward buying my own, but would prefer it in steel. I realize it isn't a regular offering, but how much did Theo sell the steel Athenas for? Just wondering how much I can expect it'd set me back if he happens to run another batch in steel.

There are photos of Athena Bronze, SS and TI

Also, where did these photos come from? Has Theo said anything about plans for a TI Athena? I haven't seen mention of it anywhere else - Lambda's web site, social media, or anywhere. Not even here, other than the one post. It's probably too rich for my blood, but I'm still curious if he's mentioned any plans to sell any.

I've been using a borrowed Athena for a couple of weeks now and really like it. I'm leaning toward buying my own, but would prefer it in steel. I realize it isn't a regular offering, but how much did Theo sell the steel Athenas for? Just wondering how much I can expect it'd set me back if he happens to run another batch in steel.
I believe I paid approximately $300 for the Athena and was happy to do it.

Also, where did these photos come from? Has Theo said anything about plans for a TI Athena? I haven't seen mention of it anywhere else - Lambda's web site, social media, or anywhere. Not even here, other than the one post. It's probably too rich for my blood, but I'm still curious if he's mentioned any plans to sell any.
From another forum... honestly they should get a move on with the production, too slow compared to the rest
waiting lists etc etc the competition is strong

Top Bottom