What's new

KITCHEN KNIFE BUY lV****CLOSED****

Not a challenge for that edge. Only got to the tomatoes. Will have a slew of peppers later this week to dice and julienne. Loved the petty for everything I used it for.

When I pulled them out of the box my girlfriend lived how seamless everything on the handle is. So many knives aren't flush or plumb. The Hiromoto is a beast of a knife before you touch it. Being thinned and sharpened by a good set of hands puts it in another league altogether.

The Hiromoto has such great characteristics that I look for in a knife. Decent weight. Distal taper. Good balance...

Give it all thinned edges and a great edge... yeah. Thats a great combination.

I have work to do on my own edges. I hope I can get it all it to stick an keep the knives as sharp as they are now.

But seriously, the handle work is amazing. Seamless. Smooth. Glossy...Wearing gloves with wet hands was fine. Wet hands no gloves were a touchch slick but not as scary as it could have been.

Quite happy with the Hiromoto's and looking forward to anything else with an edge that Dave sell.

Well, my mailman rung my doorbell and handed me a package. Inside the box was a truly beautiful knife!!! Dave, I am so glad I jumped in on this group buy at the last minute! It has been great watching the knives show up in this thread as they were shipping off. Thank you so much for the extra time you took to show us the process of creating the works of art! I realize that doing the tutorial for us was a big hit on your time but I found it extremely interesting and informative! It makes my own knife that much more special because I saw what work you put into it. I can't thank you enough for that!

As for my knife itself, WOW! You were right when you told me that piece of ironwood was nice! I absolutely love the flow of the grain and the feel of the knife in my hands. I'm not a pro chef but I cook at home for the family almost every day and constantly push myself. One of my biggest fans was my dad. When I ordered this knife it was with him in mind. We had just found out that he wasn't going to be with us much longer and I wanted something that I would use all the time and remember him with. Well, you couldn't have timed the delivery any better. Dad is no longer with us but he was a veteran of WWII and the Korean conflict so it was only fitting that this knife got delivered on, and will be used heavily on Memorial Day Weekend!

Thanks Dave and congrats on completing the 2014 group buy! Congrats to all the new owners, I am very glad I joined you in this club!
Thank you to all our service men and women and to all our veterans! I raise a toast to all of you!
Here's to dicing and slicing in style!!!
John (R)

John,
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss but I'm happy to be part of something that will help you remember your Dad through it's use. Thanks for allowing me to make this knife for you.

Dave

Sadly the cladding on my gyuto is scratched from the magnetic knife rack on my station. The work towels didn't help much either. :( I still love it. It is just a workhorse now. Now much of a rack queen now.

Th petty is amazing and I may us it for most thing now... It is scary how useful that blade it.

Used the gyuto all day today for my eleven hour holiday shift. (don't worry, it was all overtime and I got overtime pay on top of that ;))

It cut much better today that the few onions I cut yesterday. May have had new knife itis... Where it just doesn't cut right until you use it twice... Whatever. :) I went through a few cases of red bell peppers, carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes. No lie. cases. CASES. We were slow so I got a lot of prep done. I was dicing some peppers when someone told me I wasn't cutting all the way through because it wasn't changing shape, etc. I picked up the peppers and sprinkled them into the bowl. :) Always a fun feeling.

The petty still saw a lot of work. It is definitely getting used the most out of any knife.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sadly the cladding on my gyuto is scratched from the magnetic knife rack on my station. The work towels didn't help much either. :( I still love it. It is just a workhorse now. Now much of a rack queen now.

Patina ... it's all just "patina".

:001_rolle

I believe Dave lets us do this to him once a year

Any suggestions for the next go round?

I'd love to have a personal steak knife. Depending on the cost, a set for when special guests come over. I"m thinking the size of a Petty, the shape of a Gyuto, killer handle, sharper than Ouch's wit ...

Patina ... it's all just "patina".

:001_rolle

I'd love to have a personal steak knife. Depending on the cost, a set for when special guests come over. I"m thinking the size of a Petty, the shape of a Gyuto, killer handle, sharper than Ouch's wit ...
if dropped such a knofe would find its way to the center of the earth

Top Bottom