What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

Pizza doesn't have to be unhealthy. It's when the local joint loads it up with highly processed junk and ships it cheap. Cheaper food = worse for ya. Here's the kicker, you can have pizza and it still be healthy. Just make it at home with a little pre-planning.

1. CRUST- you have a few options available, an easier step to make.
A) Make it yourself, it's just yeast/flour/sugar/salt/water/oil. Google or B&B could provide a recipe.
B) Buy frozen or pop & peel tube (the stuff in the dairy cooler area) bread or pizza dough.
C) Buy some from a local pizza joint that uses the above mentioned recipe, and makes it in house. As ex pizza crew, it's what I do. They are used to it, so ask away.
D) Get some french bread, even day old stuff, etc. Don't let standards hold your boundaries. Low carb, gluten free, healthy bread products. Make minis on bagels or English muffins.

2. SAUCES- just a lovin' spoonful, maybe two.
A) Olive oil, that's it. Traditional pizza is just flat bread drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with fresh herbs, maybe garden veggies & light cheese (if any). It's peasant food. As Americans we have learned to over do it, like everything else.
B) Homemade, always best. Do you or your mom/cousin/aunt/best friend make a kick *** sauce? Doesn't matter what kind, bbq/marinara/cream base/pesto, pizza loves all sauces. Even healthy ones. Let your imagination run wild.
C) Buy a nice limited ingredient, close to natural sauce. All natural and organic stuff are good options to look at. Read your labels and look for the best option. You can always thin down your sauce with water/milk to healthy it up.
D) Go naked! Sauceless I mean... Who says you have to have it? Let your toppings shine! This is the way to to it AND cut some calories.

3. TOPPINGS- where dreams are built & heartburn nightmare lives.
A) Leftovers from the weeks at home dinners. That bomb chicken the wife made, shred it and put it on top. Leftover ham/bacon from breakfast, dice it on top. Cook a bit Xtra through the week to save for pizza night. Nice sausage/Canadian bacon/healthy pepperoni all good options.
B) Veggie supreme! Load the veggies on, they're already in your sauce, onion/peppers/garlic/mushroom/tomato put them on top. Get creative with your veggies. Artichoke hearts/corn/potato/spinach (put it on bottom so it doesn't burn)/cauliflower all go great on pizza pie. Let pizza be the vehicle that helps you learn to appreciate new veggies.
C) Is for CHEESE! The gold mine of it all. Get some nice quality flavorful cheese. Try fresh mozzarella and parmesan on top. Don't use the shredded block stuff, it's bland in comparison. Though block cheese is OK, just read your labels as always. Be modest with your cheese, it's there to help build flavor not be the favor.
D) Naked time again! Well, maybe just scantily dressed... Don't be afraid to go bare bones on your pie. Skip cheese and heavy toppings. Make your pie a salad on a bread plate. Some of the best pizzas I've had were stripped down, BLT pie with lite ranch lighty drizzled on top for example.

4. PUTTING IT TOGETHER- if you build it, they will come.
Start with a small dough ball and stretch it out thin crust style, saves on carbs and calories. Spoon on some sauce, not a heavy layer, just a modest amount to build flavor off of. Next is your "flat" stuff, spinach, pepperoni, etc. Next go your veggies, butted against the sauce to layer flavor in and take flavor on. Sprinkle on the rest, bacon/ham/shredded chicken, and give a dusting of cheese. You can give a light bead of olive oil on the crust & fresh oregano on top before it bakes. Bake at 350°\375° until crust is as brown as you like it. Guaranteed to make the house smell awesome.

Remember remember remember, modest portion size and quality ingredients will yield a wonderful pizza. Quality ingredients taste better so you'll need less of them, and not have to pile them on. Your building a flavor bouquet. You might try seeing if you can dial mfp into helping you build a healthy pie. Or try and divy it yourself and tell mfp, it's just scraps put together to make a whole item.

Alright everyone, who's got great healthy pizza recipes, ideas and alternatives? Who makes "good for you" pizza, and what's on it? What about the healthiest best tasting combo you've come up with? Don't post up all the garbage stuff we see commercials, just the healthy options you've found.

Your back side thanks you for walking away from there.

I have a saying:

"You don't buy McDonalds. You rent it for a very short period of time."

If everyone in the world at the same time ate McDonalds, TP producers would run out of product.

I like it! Good going down the gullet, not so good on the tail end of things :)

3937 of 3100 i am yo-yoing bad...

I did get to the gym last night and lifted a bunch of weight. hope that helps with weight loss

3937 of 3100 i am yo-yoing bad...

Don't get down on yourself for it, just try to figure out why. You know not to pack lunch and dinner in the same bag or to go to the store when they're making donuts, but I assume there are other reasons, too. As has been said before, when you find yourself about to mindlessly reach for something to eat because you're tired, bored, stressed, whatever, go for a short walk, get a glass of water, and see if you're actually hungry 20 minutes later. If not, don't eat (which is easier said than done). The key for me is to eat intentionally--to think about what I'm eating and why. For you, it may be wondering whether the snack is worth not getting the motorcycle.

Keep up the good work.

Not counting on mfp. focusing on food on there. Update to program has made it useable, which is a step in the right direction

I don't generally use MFP since I have a Fitbit but I do have an account on MFP just to check their food database. I've heard that their caloric burn calculator has issues with over stating so if you use it you might want to adjust down by a few percent just to be safe.

Yesterday was 2,992 of 3100.

Also this morning my wife and I got to the gym together before work :thumbup: First time for her there, and she was nervous, but impressed me in the hour we spent there. She is on MFP as well and starting to work on her journey as well!.

Yesterday was 2,992 of 3100.

Also this morning my wife and I got to the gym together before work :thumbup: First time for her there, and she was nervous, but impressed me in the hour we spent there. She is on MFP as well and starting to work on her journey as well!.

Having both working together is the best I have found in the past. If my wife or I are working on losing weight and the other doesn't it's a lot harder.

Good luck to you both!:thumbup1:

Received my goal weight reward of one Gillette Slim in the mail Saturday from Commander Quan. :thumbup: The Slim is probably one of the nicest razors I have ever used (considering I can shave with blades that would not work in other razors. The second picture was a PIF from a member that has been following my journey and felt led to join in the celebration of my first milestone. So blown away by the generosity! Thank you all for your encouragement and advice in this journey. I would not be 6 months into the journey without the support of Badger and Blade members!!!!

$WP_20140809_002[1].jpg$WP_20140809_001[1].jpg

Having both working together is the best I have found in the past. If my wife or I are working on losing weight and the other doesn't it's a lot harder.

Good luck to you both!:thumbup1:

I share that because I am very proud of her facing her fear of the gym and doing well on her first trip to one ever.

Received my goal weight reward of one Gillette Slim in the mail Saturday from Commander Quan. :thumbup: The Slim is probably one of the nicest razors I have ever used (considering I can shave with blades that would not work in other razors. The second picture was a PIF from a member that has been following my journey and felt led to join in the celebration of my first milestone. So blown away by the generosity! Thank you all for your encouragement and advice in this journey. I would not be 6 months into the journey without the support of Badger and Blade members!!!!

View attachment 482857View attachment 482858

Gillette Slim now...Harley Fat Boy tomorrow ;)

Top Bottom