What's new

Kamisori Advice (again)

OK. I'm looking at the recent spate of eBay items and noticed that several Kamisori razors were advertised as c.1800s but they also said they were early Showa period. Since the Showa period started in 1925 (Hirohito) methinks that the Japanese are as footloose as some of us Americans with eBay advertisements.

Are there any guidelines around (searched but could only find bits and pieces) to help us foreigners purchase these razors wisely?

Kent, I know you have a good store of information about them (thanks for the private messages the last time I went scouting - I ended up with a nice shaver although I was freaked when I first saw it - it did clean up nicely and shaves like a dream). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Id put more value on the look of the razor as opposed to how it is described. Check the omote and the hone wear and blow up the pics as much as possible to get the best view possible.
Unless you can read Japanese, try to post pics of the stamps or cross reference them with a known blade. The stamps will tell you the truth about the blade.
If you can, cross reference the seller as well.
Have fun!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I agree that the main thing would be the condition of the razor. You have noticed, just as with vintage western razors, uneven bevels, massive hone wear and pitted surfaces do nothing to affect the quality of shave they can deliver when honed well.

There aren't too many people still making Kamisori in Japan so most of the ebay specials would be vintage. The Showa era ended in 1989, which was the 65th year of his reign, I think, so a Showa era wouldn't be in the 1800 for sure..maybe they meant to say Meiji-era, or even Taisho?

I am planning on having 2 custom kamisori made for me by two members here. While it won't have the "mystique" of being forged in the Orient with 2 different steels melded under a hammer....they will be exactly how you want them, be made 100% of quality modern steel, and cost about the same as a mystery Kamisori you find on ebay that may have been cosmetically cleaned up to look nicer than it really is.

I have my 2 vintage, and 1 Modern Japanese tradition, and now 2 soon to be in my hands Modern Translations of a Kamisori. Life Is Good :lol:

I came into some spare cash - from honing razors no less. I got a couple more of the older Kamisoris. The person edited out the 'Showa' era comments. Maybe he is a watcher/lurker on here. ;-}

Top Bottom