What's new

Just received a nice Aristocrat however case stinks like cigerettes.

I picked up a nice 46/47 Aristocrat on eBay and received it today. The case, razor, and blade box smelled like an ashtray. I wish the seller had mentioned this however he might be a nicotine slave and may have not noticed. I put the razor and blade box in the dishwasher which killed the odor however I have no idea how to get it out of the case. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the abate the stench?
:a39:

Fill the case with some sort of charcoal, baking soda or coffee. Let it sit for a few days. I have done this with other things but never with a case.
Let us know how you make out.

Just a guess here, but try this.

Take a vacuum cleaner and suck up all the loose dirt and dust from the case. Then place it in a sealed tupperware container with a cup filled with baking soda. Leave it for a couple of days. Then vacuum it again.

This may not eliminate the smell entirely, but it should knock it down to a level you can tolerate.

$bluesmoke-1.gif

Seriously though - that would bug me to no-end, as I'm very sensitive to smoke. As in, I hate the smell (from growing up* trapped in a car where both your parents smoked with the windows up). blech!

*which is not to insinuate that I spent my entire childhood trapped in a car.

Hi,

It occurs to me that I would expect *every* vintage case to smell of cigarettes. Back then, most people smoked. Heck, my dad smoked *while* shaving. ;)

I would vacuum the case and then load it with activated charcoal. Let it sit a week, then dump the charcoal and vacuum again. Repeat until happy.

I, too, was stuck in a car *and* a house where both parents smoked. This means the smell really doesn't bother me much.

Stan

icon1.png

It still stinks and the seller refuses to refund. Before buying I sent a message (as I always do) asking if the item came from a smoking or non- smoking home as I don't smoke and he did not respond. I sent another message after I received it and he has not responded. I contacted eBay and they are refunding me since I at least asked the seller if it was from a non-smoking home so it's the sellers loss. At least the razor and box are ok. Another personal item ruined by nicotine junkies. God I hate smoking. What smokers don't realize is that their terrible habit covers every inch of the interior of their homes and vehicles with smoke by products which stain walls, ceilings, and leave a sticky terrible smelling substance on everything including the inside all of their electronic which they can't smell since they smell the same way.

Hi,

It occurs to me that I would expect *every* vintage case to smell of cigarettes. Back then, most people smoked. Heck, my dad smoked *while* shaving. ;)

I would vacuum the case and then load it with activated charcoal. Let it sit a week, then dump the charcoal and vacuum again. Repeat until happy.

I, too, was stuck in a car *and* a house where both parents smoked. This means the smell really doesn't bother me much.

Stan

I've ordered over 60 razor related items from eBay and this is the first that has smokers stench. 73's...

Aristocrat is a felt/canvas covered hard case?

It may be hopeless. Febreeze? Charcoal and or coffee idea has potential. Wad up about 10 bounce dryer sheets and leave it in the box for a few days. Also paper towel with vanilla extract on it (teaspoon?) in box and around box. Seal box in ziploc.

Any regular cleaners may destroy old felt on a case or in a case. Or padding in case under fabric may crumble to nothing if wet.

Febreeze can work wonders. My son plays HS football and brings his shoulder pads home from time-to-time. A spray of Febreeze followed by leaving them outside kills all the odor (which is horrendous). That's what I would do with the case - the smell will come out but it might need a nice dry outdoor area to air out for a few days. Back when I used to go to bars, there would always be a very thick haze of cigarette smoke. Hanging my leather jacket outside always seemed to take care of the problem - but that was years ago and cigarette smoke was everywhere. I still have that leather jacket and it doesn't have a trace of that smell these days (my daughter wears it in the winter - alas, my size has increased over the years and it doesn't fit me).

I share your aversion to smoke and have received a couple of objectionable cases - when it happens, I just let the case sit in the garage for a couple of weeks. The worst one I had, a Seller packed the case with a couple of dryer fabric sheets because of the smoke smell - that combo made me gag! 2 weeks in the garage and all was better.

Put it in a zip lock bag with a couple tea bags. I know it sounds ridiculous but it works. Also if you can find an auto detailer or restoration shop in your area and ask if they have an ozone machine. That will get rid of odors in anything.

I'm pretty sure everything I own smells like cigarette smoke! Seeing as it's small, and won't take long, boil a pot of water and hold the case through the steam on and off for as long as your hands will let you. That should clean it enough that any smell left will be easily handled by any of the above mentioned tips.

Ozium is fantastic. Place it in a Tupperware container spray inside the container not directly on the case and then shut the container.

My father had been a heavy smoker. When he died my sister and I put a number of anti static sheets, like you use on a clothes dryer, in his little workshop and under car seats and it helped to eliminate the odor.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Leave it outside, protected from the elements of course, for a while. I'd try that first, as it is free, and used to work in deer camp after a night out. Next I'd put a pop cap of ammonia in the case, opened, but in an old plastic bag for a day or two.

3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle sand spray till damp. Let dry. It will neutralize the odor without leaving another odor behind. Works wonders.

Top Bottom