What's new

Just got a Yuma, and holy smokes...

I actually got my hands on a dozen, shipped out of Ukraine for ~$27 total on eBay (~$2.25 each, while singletons are listed for $20 or more). I had some RAD starting to bubble up a few weeks ago, and I posted about not being able to find anything to scratch that itch because there's nothing out there that's worth a damn. I think in one of my posts I even mentioned that the Yuma was more compelling than anything else out there right now. AND I WAS RIGHT.

What a great razor. Going in it looks pretty suspect, but I trusted what I had read on this board and went ahead with it. The magic is in the Yuma's light weight and prominent blade feel. It's super-efficient while weighing next to nothing, which combines to create a really comfortable, high-performing razor. There's a little bit of blade chatter, but it's not as bad as it seems initially. Yes there's a blade alignment issue, but it didn't matter. Yes there seems to be some minor plating loss on this brand-new razor, and that doesn't matter either. The results speak for themself, and they're spectacular.

All you folks talking about getting these other high-end razors should do yourself a favor and order a dozen on these bad boys. I can see them being great for travel, giving away, and using the hell out of because they are cheap and fantastic.

Stop what you're doing and get a Yuma.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Don't think I'd want a dozen but one can be handy.
I satisfied my Yuma itch about ten years ago. It's OK.

full

The generic Solingen DE they copied is worlds better, even has a differential head.

full

Ultimately I don't plan on keeping all 12, my brother and a few friends will surely appreciate them. But I'm keeping a handful around for general use and travel for sure. It's a great performing razor, I'm genuinely impressed. I'd still be impressed if it were more expensive, but in that case I'd expect better fit & finish. Either way it easily blows 75% or more of razors I've used out of the water and comes damn close to my absolute top performers in terms of results.

Maybe it's a fake, but honestly I don't care. For just over $2 each, it's whatever. I don't know about the plastic cap though, I'll check when I get home. Either way it's a winner.

Assuming it is a fake, I'd love to get my hands on a real one if a fake one shaves this well.

Maybe it's a fake, but honestly I don't care. For just over $2 each, it's whatever. I don't know about the plastic cap though, I'll check when I get home. Either way it's a winner.

Assuming it is a fake, I'd love to get my hands on a real one if a fake one shaves this well.
My funny one was unusable.

0A3E3199-5691-44E4-95FB-45D780A0FDFC.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow, fake YUMAs?
That's a new one on me.

I got mine directly from Turkey at the now defunct Bestshave dot net for $1.99 US.
Anyone remember that guy?

Wow, fake YUMAs?
That's a new one on me.

I got mine directly from Turkey at the now defunct Bestshave dot net for $1.99 US.
Anyone remember that guy?
And you have the correct curved Solingen head. I have no clue where the „Tech“ style ones come from.

I still have the handle from mine, but at a certain point the way that pot metal head was looking made me toss that part of it one day when I got the itch to consolidate my collection. I wish I had kept it. It was a nice little razor.

There seems to be different versions of the YUMA ... whether fake or otherwise.
What I have in mind is the slightly heavier handles on some than on others. The very first YUMA I got when I first started DE shaving as a hobby was the "heavier" version. I always loved that razor, still use it intermittently. Then I got a handful a couple of years later, which I have used as gifts to introduce others to the hobby. These had lighter handles, felt like alloy is identical to that of the head of the razor.
Then for a while YUMAS have seemed completely gone from the shops where I used to find them (general grocery stores in immigrant bazars).
And then, just last week I found two which I snatched up without hesitation and plan to keep for myself. These are with heavier handles again.
I believe the heavier handle is still some kind of aluminum alloy, but I find it makes for a slightly more pleasant shave, makes razor feel just a notch more "classy". YUMAS rock .... you don't need a 100$ razor to achieve a superb shave .... handle very similar to the Merkur 41 C, one of my favourite handles

Reactions: Kix
Well I'm pretty sure the Yumas I received are in fact fake, plastic cap and all, which is unfortunate. But surprisingly, I feel comfortable standing by my previous claims of it being a decent razor; I shaved with it again this morning and got great results, no complaints. I'm still getting used to the weight, and someday I will likely order a real Yuma to compare, but overall I'm still very pleased with the quality of the shave.

Top Bottom