What's new

Want a new razor, nothing seems compelling

I think I’m gonna lay it down for a while. There’s nothing out there right now that’s terribly compelling, and I think for the first time I’m going to fight the RAD that’s creeping in and ignore the urge to buy yet another razor.

I’m not going to list out everything I’ve got, but I have already entirely too many absolutely wonderful razors that give me BBS- with little or no effort, though differently. I don’t think there’s anything out there with much else to offer outside of just being different.

What should I be looking at? Timeless? Wolfman? Rocnel? Why? Do they really offer a shave better than the countless other options we have available, many of which I already have (or had) in my den? And if so, is there actual value in their cost above that of other less-expensive-but-still-awesome razors? Or razors I already own? I’m doubtful. If anything I should be trying to get my hands on a Yuma.

Now I acknowledge that this is a hobby forum and no one here needs a good reason to buy more gear, but at what point does it just become spending money? I’m getting almost perfect shaves daily, and I still have razors I haven’t really learned to fully appreciate yet.

Now who’s with me?? Or maybe I should go hang out in one of those GRUME threads instead? 🤣

I really want a Yaqi Ultima because I love the TFC. But I was so disappointed with the brass version (it’s just way too heavy for its size) that I can’t bring myself to spend $140 on a stainless one. (Give me a TFC Ti and I may bite.)

It’s like every time I find something I like, it’s way too easy to talk myself out of it. So I do.

Maybe I should get an OC plate for my Blackbird Ti, does that change the shave enough to be worth it?

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Just for you I threw my Ultima on the scales. 100g with a blade loaded. But yeah, it feels heavier, it's small but there are larger razors with roughly equal weight.

They might never made a Ti version, but maybe these 100g are a bit less than the brass version?

I have a table here for the relative weight of various metals,
Brass (Approx.) 535.68, Stainless Steel (18-8) 494.21

Brass is an alloy, and what they exactly use... well, throw your brass razor on the scales, maybe a few grams less is all you need. :)

Other options: Yaqi Harlequin and Yaqi Mellon SS have become favorites of mine.
I recently bought a Romulus as Single Edge razor (still in transit) and a cheap Straight Razor, which worked out nicely. Maybe I will get a proper fancy straight, but they are not inexpensive and I am too lazy to strop and hone.

OR you start collecting flashlights. Right now really hot are flashlights with monstrous batteries like the Sofirn IF30 or the Astrolux EC01X.

You could also start drinking if your desperation just doesn't go away and you want to make it worse, how about using Cognac instead of Whisky? I really like most Meukows, the XO Grande Champagne and their Icone 160th are marvelous.

Edit: and just because this inspired me, though I am holding back for now: OCtober 2023 — Opening Our Hearts; and Combs; to Happy Razor Fun Time - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/october-2023-opening-our-hearts-and-combs-to-happy-razor-fun-time.643978/post-12443600

I have the v1 TFC brass, the v2 has a longer handle which I assume makes it even heavier (and I don’t have a reliable scale anyway). It’s not the weight that’s so bad necessarily, it’s the weight to size ratio as you mentioned. It just feels heavy and unmanageable to me.

I assume a TFC Ti would be roughly the same size and weight of a HLS Taiga Ti, which I have and absolutely love. I’d buy a similar TFC in a heartbeat.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I bought a few razors at first but rarely do so these days as I realised that each purchase was less and less rewarding, eventually causing negative feelings of regret at my greed and consumerism. It dawned on me that trawling the internet for shaving rarities was no different than browsing online for groceries, or anything else equally mundane - it had been reduced simply to shopping, boring boring shopping. I see many here who barely have time to show off their latest acquisition before they have ordered another, and I wonder what they are truly seeking or if they will ever find it; I guess we are all looking for different things. I still struggle with this and buy too many vintage soaps and aftershaves while trying to convince myself that it is somehow different as these are 'consumables', but in truth I have enough to last for decades. The sad reality is that if you asked me right now to name the items I purchased three months ago, or even last month, then I could not do it - that is partly due to my decaying mental acuity but also because nothing I have purchased actually has any real value to me or brings me any happiness. It sounds like we should both take a break from shopping 👍

I bought a few razors at first but rarely do so these days as I realised that each purchase was less and less rewarding, eventually causing negative feelings of regret at my greed and consumerism. It dawned on me that trawling the internet for shaving rarities was no different than browsing online for groceries, or anything else equally mundane - it had been reduced simply to shopping, boring boring shopping. I see many here who barely have time to show off their latest acquisition before they have ordered another, and I wonder what they are truly seeking or if they will ever find it; I guess we are all looking for different things. I still struggle with this and buy too many vintage soaps and aftershaves while trying to convince myself that it is somehow different as these are 'consumables', but in truth I have enough to last for decades. The sad reality is that if you asked me right now to name the items I purchased three months ago, or even last month, then I could not do it - that is partly due to my decaying mental acuity but also because nothing I have purchased actually has any real value to me or brings me any happiness. It sounds like we should both take a break from shopping 👍
This guy is speaking my language

Yes, I totally get it. Sometimes is just use what you got, enjoy it and just have fun.
With all the gear we can accumulate, just mixing it up is fun.
Now yes, I am bit extreme. We are lucky to have 5 baths in the house.
I have to loaded dens. One upstairs in the master, one down stairs just for my wife and I.
The heavy traffic with the young adults, there friend, my brother, it a must...
Both dens have rotation razors..
I like the variety, I will pick the tool for the current stubble job, they all get used...works for me...

But once I have a razor that is not in use, it goes to my dad and or my brother to try.
When rejected by all it is FS time.

I have not need or want for a new razor...I know....sacrilegious...
Right now...lol..
Family first, my amazing wife actually has a shaving budget allocation for me.
Sometimes it adds up, I will get something. Or get something for the wife, kids or house.
Keeps it simple and flexible.

So hey, buy'em and try'em or use'em or lose'em....

Cheers,
BFX

We are lucky to have options...

I get what you're saying. I'm down to 12 razors, all of which give me excellent shaves. The only time I find myself looking to purchase a new razor, it's because there's something different or its design is, to me, gorgeous (ie. the Athena). I like looking at and reading reviews on different razors but there has to be "something" about it to pique my interest.

The Chiseled Face Legacy in titanium is different from all my other DEs. You might want to look into it and see if it interests you.
I will say, any 55g non-zamak razor is appealing (Legacy with Pineapple Twist handle), but I have pretty high standards when it comes to aggressiveness (needs to be on the high end). Do you know how it fares here?

I think I'm going to sell off my Henson razors (have +++ in AL and Ti; my Blackbird Ti beats them both, no contest), but I really don't know if I'm going to replace them with anything or not. Sigh...

Lol, my last "new" razor is a Slim Aristocrat on the way from Turkey. Before that it was a 1950-1 Gillette Aristocrat in good shape.

New to me anyway, and raises the Slim count to six I think.

No need to re-invent the wheel.....

I will say, any 55g non-zamak razor is appealing (Legacy with Pineapple Twist handle), but I have pretty high standards when it comes to aggressiveness (needs to be on the high end). Do you know how it fares here?

I think I'm going to sell off my Henson razors (have +++ in AL and Ti; my Blackbird Ti beats them both, no contest), but I really don't know if I'm going to replace them with anything or not. Sigh...
It is not 'aggressive' in the traditional sense, I guess, since it has very little blade exposure. It does have a very large blade gap of 1.2.

THe geometry is different from any DE I have tried before. It shaves, well, differently. It doesn't feel aggressive, it feels smooth, but reduction is very good.

If blade feel is your thing, or if you really like to shave steep, the Legacy is not for you. Otherwise, you should consider it.

Top Bottom