What's new

Just got a sight unseen and...

I just got my sight unseen from whippeddog for my birthday, and it is very handsome!

However, it seems to be less sharp than I'm used to. I normally shave DE with Feathers, and I love the way they just make my hair vanish. Is it realistic to compare a SR to a DE? It removes my hair just as well as my feathers; it just drags quite a bit more (but doesn't cause any more irritation).

I'm also extremely open to the proposition that this comes down to my technique. I have tried straight razor shaving for only three days so far, and only on my right cheek. I'm not very experienced.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Zamonium

IMO straights are less sharp than de blades, but I can't say that that equals to a dragging feeling when shaving. Proper prep is crucial when using a straight, less so with a de. I would definitely shower first and use warm towels followed by a moist slick lather and see how that works.

I would definitely suggest its technique.

+1

Adjust your angle and speed.
A straight needs a firm, deliberate stroke. They are also very sensitive to angle. Too shallow and they'll tug a bit but not deliver a close shave.
Too steep and they'll abrade the skin and kill the edge, requiring a premature trip back to the hones.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMO there will always be some pull on the WTG, just a bit. The sharper you get the blade and the better your technique the less it gets, but you will always feel it- and for me it is a pleasurable sensation. It shouldn't make your eyes water :smile:.

I just got my sight unseen from whippeddog for my birthday, and it is very handsome!

However, it seems to be less sharp than I'm used to. I normally shave DE with Feathers, and I love the way they just make my hair vanish. Is it realistic to compare a SR to a DE? It removes my hair just as well as my feathers; it just drags quite a bit more (but doesn't cause any more irritation).

I'm also extremely open to the proposition that this comes down to my technique. I have tried straight razor shaving for only three days so far, and only on my right cheek. I'm not very experienced.

-Zamonium
Most likely the tugging is related to your technique. I think most new straight razor shavers suffer form dull razor syndrome. As the technique improves so does the sharpness.
IMO straights are less sharp than de blades, but I can't say that that equals to a dragging feeling when shaving. Proper prep is crucial when using a straight, less so with a de. I would definitely shower first and use warm towels followed by a moist slick lather and see how that works.
+1
I would definitely suggest its technique.
Yep

Like CB said, it does require a deliberate stroke, but being new it is a hard thing to do.

You have the most important thing-a shave ready razor. The rest is just learning.

And by "firm, deliberate" I don't mean pressure.
Pressure should be as light as for a DE.

What I mean is the strokes need to be solid, smooth, and fairly long.
With experience you can get into "blade buffing" for cleanup of difficult areas, but for now, focus on fairly long, continuous strokes.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are the best. Every time I shave, I just can't wait for tomorrow morning to try again!

I haven't been wet shaving long, but I can say it's probably technique. When I first started, I tended to use a super shallow angle, almost laying the blade on my skin, to try & minimize cuts. I've since increased the angle, and my shaves are getting better. I'm still at the "every shave is better than the last" stage. Keep in mind, every once in a while you'll have a bad day & it'll seem like your skill is regressing, keep at it & you'll see it was just a glitch.

Strangely enough, I started with straights, and I'm considering trying a DE. Those things scare me, though :O

I was about to ask exactly the same question. I got my sight unseen from Larry on Thursday and I am getting tugging. Something that I don't get at all with a DE.

Good to see that its a common problem and will improved with practice.

I highly doubt that..have you tried a perfectly honed straight?...thats 95% of what I use are my straights..DE's tend to give me nicks n cuts..scape a bit..they are OK if im in a rush..plus nothing to throw away when you have a straight in your hand ;-)

-Zamonium

Shame on you for not posing a PIC!!!

I finally took pictures this morning, but only with my phone. I guess i'd better post those, eh? Can't figure out how to do that with my phone, but I'll try to do it today after work.

Also, don't be scared to use the pasted balsa strop. I started using it every 3-5 shaves, and it helps a LOT.
Green side first, 30 laps, then red side 30 laps, then strop 50 laps. Make sure you clean the blade between switching.

Good to know, thanks jred. I wasn't sure how often I should be doing that. I might do it a bit less at first, since I'm taking my time learning and not yet shaving my whole face.

Top Bottom