What's new

Just got a Futur and.

I have to say that I have 2 Futur Razors and 2 Progress Razors. The the Futurs have always been my favorite. I have had 3 high end all S.S. razors, and while all were well made none of them shaved as well as the Futur.

Well,
My Merkur Futur just arrived. Great!!!
Hmm... Not so great...

The razor itself looks just beautiful. Gold plating and excellent finish. However a couple problems.
The razor adjustment guide is flawed and only goes from 1 to 4.5, even though it should go to 6. I tried doing the "flip the blade holder piece 180 degrees" trick and it made it even worse.
Also there is some very noticeable play in the blade holder, a good 1mm or so of play, which, for a DE razor is quite extreme.

This is my third Merkur razor and all of them have quality control issues.
1) Merkur 180, bent handle and sloppy blade guide
2) Merkur Bakelite, looks awesome but it too has the same sloppy blade guide.
3) Merkur Futur, above stated problems.

By sloppy blade guide I mean that the blade is not aligned the same on both sides of the razor. I can loosen the handle a bit and wiggle the blade around and "manually" try to even out the sides... But isn't that what the blade guides are for anyway??

I thought "Made in Germany" meant quality? Has anyone else experienced poor quality from Merkur?

I didn't get a Merkur for my first blade because of the reported QC issues. I also didn't want too many moving parts. That being said, I have wanted to try this razor. It sucks that they can't improve their QC. Sorry about your problems mate.

proxy.php

Oooh..the new Merkur Slant II.
Fancy!

The 2 Merkurs I have are just fine. But maybe because I bought my first Merkur HD about 6 years ago. And the Futur I have now was part of the 4 piece Satin set I bought for my Father about 4 years ago as a B-Day present. He passed about 2 years ago :( and it came back to me ('Yes, I won't forget to shave, dad.'). So from what I'm reading now, sounds like Merkur has lost their way recently. Guess I'm lucky to have gotten 2 good ones while they were still making them.

Even though the quality control is lacking, I have to admit the Futur is still my favorite razor.
Every time I change the blade I have to tweak it and move the blade and cap around till I get a good alignment.
But just wow what a great shave when it all comes together.

In the past I've been very tempted to purchase a Futur, but after reading these posts, that temptation has waned.

Do it anyway. If you get a good one you will probably love it, and if you get a bad one, send it back. I have two Futurs that are perfect and a good friend bought one and loves it. I gave a used one (from another friend who did not do DE) to my son. It was great except for some plating issues that might have been brought on by poor maintenance.

I will say that I am aware of the overwhelming Chinese content in many (most) consumer products and mass produced food items, and I plan and purchase accordingly to avoid same as much as possible.

If you accept the fruits of global trade - then I feel it's unwise to adopt the stance that you will not use Chinese made goods. For e.g.
[1] Some of the products we all use are almost exclusively manufactured in China including the computer/phone you are viewing this msg on. A separate but related example is alum - a majority of the world alum's reserves are in China.
[2] You can't possibly trace your products back all the way. China manufactures majority of the world's stearic acid (primary ingredient in shaving soaps/creams), badger/boar/synthetic fibers, steel, plastic; I could go on.... How do you check China is not in the supply chain or the products you use?
[3] Finally - from personal experience - most of the 'poor quality' products manufactured in China you're talking about are being built for a buyer who wants them at a low price. The Chinese are orbiting the moon and make supersonic aircraft & nuclear subs - I assure you that they have all the technology needed to manufacture quality DE shaving equipment.

Last edited:
I bought a futur 3 weeks ago from amazon for $66 shipped. It was the satin finish one. It looks great. More importantly, it doesnt seem to have any of the QC issues mentioned in this thread. I am getting the greatest shaves of my life with it.

My experience with German engineering and manufactuing has been that they tend to over-engineer their products and can't always manufacture those products in a way that lives up to the design's promise.

Top Bottom