What's new

Just For Men?

I think the Touch of Grey JFM stuff is "SEMI"; meaning it last only two weeks and does not cover Grey well. Thus the "touch". All these things work better on second application; if you need it.

Demi will last twice as long as Semi(2-week cover AKA 10-11 shampoos) and Demi last about 28 shampoos. But that's about when new growth (AKA Grey) is back anyway. Demi and especially Semi leaves you looking balanced if you stop and go back to Grey.

OK I actually had some Grey when I wrote all the above. After improving my wife's formula then I delved into what EXACT level and tone I actually am now (darker with age and looking at that which is not Grey) since I basically only need to cover my side burns; then how can I improve what I've tried *and* where do I get the stuff most inexpensively (TIP: It turns out to be fresh BOX KITS and good quality and including the matched peroxide developer AND larger tube of matched corrective quality conditioner.) All in a formula known to have the best oils (etc...) to least damage the hair and isn't hard to apply(with a handy old tooth brush for sideburns).

Well the goal was to EXACTLY match my Grey burns to the my 6.5AA (Lightest Intense Ash Brown) top hair. It's like a low dark (mountain/Nordic/blue skewed) blonde. All this study showed me Dark Blond is actually one of the most desired hair colors. Especially for men. Who knew? Appreciate what ya got right? It can look under mid level (brunette) in lower light and bright muted gold (dark cooler blond) in bright warm sun. Let me show you the difficulty and this real example; that you (maybe if you're a steely-eyed science man) could translate to your situation... I hit the mark. Absolutely and completely undetectable; where I'd been close enough before. Done.

The match(mine):

Grey (resistant thick Grey here) will take the tone assigned to the boxed color (usually correct as described on the box). So A or Ash (or cool) works on just the grey(since I'm A); but this is also going to be washed through most of my hair (barely) meaning the last 6 or 7 minutes or so before hitting the showers. This will exactly match the tone all over without doing damage.

Two issues: I want to blend areas around my Grey burns that are not completely Grey and though tying really hard then still some may get into my regular hair. What I used was not Semi BTW and slightly stronger than Natural Instinct Demi. We had "Revlon Colorslik 50" and that's Light Ash Brown(worked mostly OK before). See technically... my burns should become closer to AA (the double AA tone appears a little darker also). Burns are also naturally just slightly less brightened by the sun than top hair. I used this mild permanent (against my own advice); because Grey (only grey) needs it. Demi is for 50% Greys(areas) or less % interleaved! So this worked better to open up the resistant all white Grey burns. For the first 5 minutes (of 20+5 exactly per directions) the ONLY place this went is on my white Greys alone. Starting AFTER getting it in quickly(<5m); including the extra time (box directions) allowed for tough Grey. It looks like it's turning black at the end but does not dye that much after rinsing. (Matches your other similar level wet hair.) Follow the timing. The second problem is Grey has no warmer base tone BUT this Light Ash Brown was still too warm for me at A when I needed AA and it also needed to be slight lighter in level....

Note: The high rated Revlon kits are $3 on sale regularly. I'm ever so slightly sensitive to it; so be sure to do the simple arm allergic test per directions! Never do it over cuts or rubbed red skin. As with any hair make sure it's been washed mildly with low heat and conditioned well in the days before.

Formula = R50 (Light 'Ash' Brown) 2/3rds (4ml). Plus Revlon 60 (Dark 'Ash' Blonde) 1/3 (2ml) then (1:1) 6ml of the developer (from R50 kit), THEN 40 (Yes 40 in this tiny batch!) drops of blue (Looks royal blue) McCormick food color. Mixed all very well with tooth brush.

That made ~6.5AA perfect color level and tone. It looks like your dyeing your burns blue; but it changes at the end and thus ultimately (blow dried) gives the cooler AA not just A toning; all in one step. Now that R60 is very unusual as it's NOT Ash Dark Blonde as labeled but it is warm! Just weird that one. I think they changed it actually; it's model number also. I needed really ash and you might not. But the 1/3rd R60(7.5N?) made the 2/3 and darker R50(6A) like a 6.5 instead of darker 6 in light level. So right level 6.5 . Right tone; AA with extra blue.

See the thing is you can not lengthen the timing without damage. And you can not shorten the timing without getting lighter due to not taking/depositing the color. Dye deposits near the end of the opening up procedure. It's takes over 7 minutes (in) to see any (after drying) difference(depending on average porosity). Which means any wash through for toning at the end needs to start applying at about the 8 minutes (left) mark on your timer. You have to make yourself stop after getting it into the Grey only areas and for at least 5 minutes. But that 's 20 minutes left or 12 until pull through application time starts adding it. In the middle you can color any in between gray-ish interleaved areas you want to be a little LIGHTER than your mixed color target base low light. Basically making interleaved Greys into higher blonde 3D strands or highlight like. So If you want them closer to the base (low lights) then do them sooner; after finishing the 100% Grey areas. Do pause though. It's easier than it sounds. While you're waiting clean up the mess and the whole thing will take less time. (Demi is only 15 minutes. This was 25 timed after applied). The washing through; even if it's <4 minutes and does no coloring then shampoos your hair. If you like it do not wash it for a few days so it will set. Dry shampoo spray can help it look good anyway. Coloring is best done on greasy hair. So wash it gently many days before and mainly with deep conditioning. Two weeks deep conditioning each is the ideal. Remember this is something you can only fix like once; without noticeable damage if you do it wrong. Yes even for guys.

I hope the point came through. Cheap boxes mixed intelligently and some cheap food color (if you are cool toned) can effect an EXACT match. But you do have to understand color matching. Plus, though counter tones need to be adjusted cooler *if* you do not want center natural or warm *and* if you lift a level (like mid brown to light brown) *and* that's if your hair level (darkest non-Grey) is not ash (now) and you want ash.

Also I wanted to push the ash because it can warm up a bit over the next month until it washes out! So for example if your warm toned you might target a neutral tone so worst case tone fading would go no more than warm. Ash(cool and that still has a tiny bit of warmth) and has neutral as the next "level" and warm(golden) as 2 "levels" up from ash. So these go with the known (B&W) light levels. If you are a light brown(neutral tone) and apply a regular kit Dark Blond then you get WARM. Even though they were both neutral. Lifting alone takes it one "level" warmer. See? That's where the food color comes in. If you were targeting light blonde (9) then you may need Violet mixed food color. They sell packets of hair color Red Out and such but it's the same as food color. A darkest Brown might need to counter redness with Green (blue and some yellow). For men's and using Demi it's going to be blue. You not making the total dye mix. You're just skewing it. It may still have a blue/green skew just by your adding some Blue. Let my 40 drops to get AA from A; into just 6ml of color-only (12ml with developer) be your guild.

Last edited:
Secrets if you ever considered eliminating some Grey:

1. Temp: Start with temp power color like the mascara like root cover brush, "No Grey(tm) Quick Fix", and then there's a color rectangular magnetic hair sticky stuff with its different brush. AKA "Color Wow"; but that crap cost $35. Yet you can order a knock of from China for $5!!! That type is highest rated. That will let you find your match and washes right off if you go too dark. No harm, no foul; but you gotta put it on after washing. But it's easy and maybe you can STOP here.

2. Semi: The JFM Touch of Grey stuff lasts for maybe two weeks and does not cover all full Grey patches. Especially the first application. Do not extend any directed time beyond the stated extra for Grey. This will go away within two weeks gracefully. Maybe this should be what you try after temp stuff.

3.Demi: If you have Grey interleaved (you might not even know) *if* less than 50% Grey then a Demi can darken those interleaved Greys to a bit lighter than your still non-Grey hair without changing its light level. This is why you lean toward lighter dye. Demi can cover a 100% patch too; but not as dark or more like 95% (longest time allowed) instead of 100% Grey coverage. Which might be fine for you and you should STOP here.

4. Permanent: (non-ammonia type though) Might be good if you know what you want, are good at matching and don't want mess with it for almost 2 whole months. But this should best be used (the full timing) only on 100% Grey patches. It's hardest to fix and it does not fade quite as gracefully as Demi. But that's not as much of an issue on 100% Greys on side burns; like it would be a root line demarcation. It's just one day you trim your burn down and they are Grey again. Unless you hit it up again before 2 months. It's really only an issue if you mistakenly put permanent on your regular hair; that has color or are trying to trick folks by stepping slowly into or out of Grey. If you did follow these ways progressively you could also back them down and slowly go back to Gray (over a longer time) easy enough. If anybody is giving you a hard time they have the problems and you should pick your friend more carefully (even if they are called family). ;) This is not about vanity. It's about looking 10 to 20 years younger.

Now we're back to Grey is fine; but see I do not like being in the middle. I like my exacting results. Though it was tricky for 25 minutes; now I don't have to do anything differently for 2 months. Carefree. I assure you; when I am mostly Grey all over I will rock it proudly. Plus if you think about it I can control how much of my burns are going Grey. Such as a job interview where that might be best.

Even if you do not do anything; isn't this all interesting? I had a good time beating the Salons! Some will tell all; but some will let you fail on purpose. Remember that.

Plus, now if you do the $25 Grey cover for men at your barber then you'll know what it's doing. Though I dare say only a small percentage of the time will they hit the mark perfectly. Probably not with as much planning. Close enough maybe. Maybe luck; with what you need and what they have on hand. But it will not kill you. Try stuff; rightly.

Best of wishes! God bless and keep you.

Last edited:
If you cut your hair short, not shaving the head, and use a shade lighter than your color.nobody will tell that you dyed your hair..

If you cut your hair short, not shaving the head, and use a shade lighter than your color.nobody will tell that you dyed your hair..
Ha. That would make a good joke; but I think you mean it's important not to pick a shade darker than what ones non-Grey hair actually is. That way it will not do anything (accept maybe tone) to make it any darker and unnatural looking; even if it gets into your non-Grey. Which one has to do with interleaved Grey.

Tip there is you may want ANOTHER shade/kit matching your non-Grey hair, or ever so slightly darker; if you ALSO have a 100% Gray patch(s). Which many do. Depending on where it is. Burns are slightly darker naturally; but just. And remember it's the darkness (or light level) *and* also the tone as cool to warm also. The JFM stuff I tried long ago (Dark Blond "Auto Stop" specifically) was to warm for me and looked weird as warmer. The light level was OK.

So don't forget tone also and don't be afraid to get two different kits(levels); if needed. I recommend avoiding application on any normally good hair AKA that is not interleaved with any Grey. But the 100% Grey will then need careful matching to it. There's where you can easily mix together two kits from the same line; if you're in between levels. I recommend being that precise. Such as 6 1/4, 6 1/2 and 6 3/4 light levels. Then tone matched in addition.

FYI: My burns are looking pretty darn good and I feel about 20 years younger LOL. They slightly lightened after several shampoos but they are still very matched and natural looking; even in the brightest light. Best match I ever did. No kidding.

Last edited:
Update: After a whole a month it started to gracefully be Grey again. I could have left it; but decided to color it away again since it matched well last time. I decided ti mix it slightly darker and cooler. Only because mid way through there was a very slight hint of not being as cool. But don't get me wrong; you couldn't tell.

So this time I used 50 whole drops (10 more) of McCormick Blue food color into 12ml (before equal developer); knowing this may also make it a hair darker. It somehow looked red mid way through the 25 minutes; but corrected to dark looking at the end. I held to the timing what may. It's freaking perfect. I'm not kidding.

See? I would not do this unless I could get a match. Not just close. Matched. I recommend test hair sessions. Then you will know. Keep a patch when getting it cut. Test on that first. Else pick a small spot you don't mind testing on; where you could cut it short if not liked. Be careful; but don't be scared.

Perhaps get a barber to do it the first time; but make a deal with them to tell you what level(Name like Light Brown) and tone(Cool or warm; because just 'Light Brown' is Neutral). "Our good brand stuff" doesn't count. Quite frankly, now that I learned this stuff I'm not happy with how most stylist do what's best for them and not for you. They will say it's for you; but of course they are on the clock.

I asked my name brand hair cutter shop what they had for coloring guys Grey hair. She said it was only semi permanent, touch-of-grey leaving stuff; in "cool" only. That's not what I need.

I also like to match my burns (eliminate Grey) this way; so they aren't washed out against my face tone. It's just the phase of Greys I'm I don't like. Currently my last application above (almost 3 weeks ago) is gracefully only starting to have the very slightest touch of grey look(after a haircut). Which actually looks good. In about a week and after a few washes I'll probably want to color away the Grey again. Is easy; now that I found a way to match it.

For those color matching what you got over your totally Grey patches (100% Grey burns) and need a very cool (mountain/nordic) "Dark" Blond then I've found the very inexpensive ($2.99 fresher at big stores and also more amount than the mens)...

Revlon R50 (like 6A) Light Ash Brown kit.
+
Revlon R80 (like 9A) Light Ash Blonde kit.
=
Like a 7.5 A (Cool) when simple mixed 50/50; with twice the stuff and conditioners. Enough for YEARS of just side-burn covering, monthly.
(Example: 5ml R50 mixed with 5ml R80; plus 10ml developer(1:1) is 20ml ready for sideburns+)
So no food color blue is needed to cool out a kit. It's more important to hit your exact level and tone and then it will balance out. Using Ash kits only to stay cool here. Note these kits raise up one level on never colored hair; unless you're talking about white 100% Grey. Go by the back of the box and know that's for never colored hair. Note especially if its an evening out kit; where different uncolored hair gets to the same place. Else a kit where the end result varies more depending on the level where non-grey would start.

Just buying another cool 7.5C or 7.5A kit varies in their warmth results, cost more and may not cover as evenly, may smell bad and takes longer than 20+5 mins).

Also; ALWAYS put Moroccan Argan type oil in the hair first. It does not hinder coloring and protects from damage a lot. Grease it up to good coverage. Not the tiny amount for styling fly-aways.

So if you can't find your exact color match on the shelf then you can make it from the better value stuff!

Also Revlon’s R60 would be like a 7A but it's weird and to warm for an "ash". They actually reformulated it. You see most "Ash" formulations actually have a *tiny* bit of warmth and this is great for 100% Grey; because it needs a bit. But not on regular hair. You can see it is tricky to color both 100% Grey and also color natural colored hair on the same head and match. Trickier if it's already dye colored (it will mix) and never lighter. NEVER dye to dark.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
For those color matching what you got over your totally Grey patches (100% Grey burns) and need a very cool (mountain/nordic) "Dark" Blond then I've found the very inexpensive ($2.99 fresher at big stores and also more amount than the mens)...

Revlon R50 (like 6A) Light Ash Brown kit.
+
Revlon R80 (like 9A) Light Ash Blonde kit.
=
Like a 7.5 A (Cool) when simple mixed 50/50; with twice the stuff and conditioners. Enough for YEARS of just side-burn covering, monthly.
(Example: 5ml R50 mixed with 5ml R80; plus 10ml developer(1:1) is 20ml ready for sideburns+)
So no food color blue is needed to cool out a kit. It's more important to hit your exact level and tone and then it will balance out. Using Ash kits only to stay cool here. Note these kits raise up one level on never colored hair; unless you're talking about white 100% Grey. Go by the back of the box and know that's for never colored hair. Note especially if its an evening out kit; where different uncolored hair gets to the same place. Else a kit where the end result varies more depending on the level where non-grey would start.

Just buying another cool 7.5C or 7.5A kit varies in their warmth results, cost more and may not cover as evenly, may smell bad and takes longer than 20+5 mins).

Also; ALWAYS put Moroccan Argan type oil in the hair first. It does not hinder coloring and protects from damage a lot. Grease it up to good coverage. Not the tiny amount for styling fly-aways.

So if you can't find your exact color match on the shelf then you can make it from the better value stuff!

Also Revlon’s R60 would be like a 7A but it's weird and to warm for an "ash". They actually reformulated it. You see most "Ash" formulations actually have a *tiny* bit of warmth and this is great for 100% Grey; because it needs a bit. But not on regular hair. You can see it is tricky to color both 100% Grey and also color natural colored hair on the same head and match. Trickier if it's already dye colored (it will mix) and never lighter. NEVER dye to dark.
whoa
Seems so complicated
my Porsche dealer told me the car darkens your hair

whoa
Seems so complicated
my Porsche dealer told me the car darkens your hair

Well; I could just say buy the right box and don't vary from it's instruction; but if you get the the wrong level, tone or maybe even for different areas then it's going to be odd and that's what's complicated.

See info on tone and pigments in here:
How to Get Lighter Hair Color from Madison Reed
Science!

P.S. I did all manner of stuff for my wife this month as she didn't know what she really wanted. I did a two process coloring where we color removed Dark Brown; to go lighter and cooler. The fine Dark Ash blonde (High 7.5) was rejected as too light. So we colored it Light Ash Brown and looked great; but we were short enough liquid and it went brassy in two weeks. So we bought and colored it "Mochaccino"... Light Ash Brown and she absolutely loves it. Normally this would kill your hair dead; yet with copious amounts Morrocan Argan oil BEFORE each coloring and a quality oil additive box color (And she had to mask days before several times)... Now it has new body, shine and the desired cool tone and with her (now) perfect desired Light Ash Brown. All at very low cost. Note: We do have to use leave-in conditioning products. And this is why I'd never do this for a living. Geash! You have to know your target. We're set now; though. It looks 20 years younger and full gray coverage; that's over a tough Grey patch spot and horrible to fix interleaved Grays everywhere. So I'm not blowing smoke. I'm doing it. Maybe this is a good place to share it to you. That's all.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Well; I could just say buy the right box and don't vary from it's instruction; but if you get the the wrong level, tone or maybe even for different areas then it's going to be odd and that's what's complicated.

See info on tone and pigments in here:
How to Get Lighter Hair Color from Madison Reed
Science!

P.S. I did all manner of stuff for my wife this month as she didn't know what she really wanted. I did a two process coloring where we color removed Dark Brown; to go lighter and cooler. The fine Dark Ash blonde (High 7.5) was rejected as too light. So we colored it Light Ash Brown and looked great; but we were short enough liquid and it went brassy in two weeks. So we bought and colored it "Mochaccino"... Light Ash Brown and she absolutely loves it. Normally this would kill your hair dead; yet with copious amounts Morrocan Argan oil BEFORE each coloring and a quality oil additive box color (And she had to mask days before several times)... Now it has new body, shine and the desired cool tone and with her (now) perfect desired Light Ash Brown. All at very low cost. Note: We do have to use leave-in conditioning products. And this is why I'd never do this for a living. Geash! You have to know your target. We're set now; though. It looks 20 years younger and full gray coverage; that's over a tough Grey patch spot and horrible to fix interleaved Grays everywhere. So I'm not blowing smoke. I'm doing it. Maybe this is a good place to share it to you. That's all.
Ymmv
But this seems incredibly complicated!
So nice of you to help her also. I wouldn't have the patience for that

It is complicated. Thanks. It's one of those things. Especially when you need exact natural looking results. And guys do (I say). But paying through the nose, at a salon and where half the time it is not right. Heck no! Hopefully all this detail will help it be less difficult and less a state secret. It's like learning to be a good doctor. You best not wing it. And yet you don't need a degree to color hair. You do need every tip that's real.

It's a job. She's the sweetest. And she is a breast cancer survivor.

Last edited:
What's new? The Clairol brush in(every shampoo) stuff went down to $10. You have to put it in after every wash; but I get a great Grey side burns coverage match with it. Depends on your shade.

Demi is great(1mo) If you are Light Brown or darker; but Grey begs for "permanent"(2mos lasting) hair coloring when you want zero Grey showing through.

Note; that side burns can go a little darker (1/4 level?) than top hair and it looks right. And top hair is thinner and less resistant.

Also these $10 dry temp covers have neutral tone warmth, or more; but Grey (patch full Grey) needs a bit of warmth to match.

You can stop here and just brush what you need in; when you need it.

OTHERWISE HAIR COLORING KITS INFO: (lasts up to 2 mo)

But if (Brave and) you also need to cover mixed/interleaved Gray, together with your normal(root) color then start with 1 LEVEL lighter than your *roots* (Avoids stark root demarcation 2 mos later). You can alternatively (next time?) match to your level (0 levels); if you need flatter results and all the (interleaved)Grey gone(matched out). Unless, of course you want to go lighter (2 levels at max recommended) or darker than your natural roots (darker NOT recommended and hard to fix). Unless you took your hair to many levels over higher, than you like and you want a tone fix, without color removing first; but that's still back down to your root level. (Demi for less re-damaging, use Light Ash Brown or below. Else use permanent).

Change the box (level and tone) you use(or 2); but do not generally alter the instructions on timing(over max or under_time it). Start timer AFTER getting it in, within 5 minutes.

Hair coloring (wet on the other hand) and you'll likely need to start with the coolest tones; else get way to warm toned.

The first time coloring NATURAL Grey patches will likely be more resistant and require the max time that's instructed. Start timer AFTER getting it in, and nothing(Grey) left dry. Start applying immediately after a well mixed dye, with its peroxide developer. The cream types avoid splattering; when you need to go fairly quickly. But just add some white conditioner, if ever it's to watery!

Note that a demi instructed 20 minutes (stubborn Greys) if left 40 minutes (past max) then is basically permanent hair color, not demi. Better to use permanent at 20m(max); if you don't have 40 minutes. And the demi is not formulated (and timed) to get box color matched, at twice the time. And it could irritate. So again; get the right thing for you and FOLLOW the instructions. No experimenting(there); fellow scientists.

Last edited:
1. Noting the back of the boxes; most JFM stuff just looks to add sooty darkness and require multiple application(blend).
2. However the auto stop I once did (and re did) hit its Dark Blond level; but I'm two steep cooler(tone) 7AA Intense ash.

3. Tones go (looking from warm to cool)...

R > Red, and RR Intense
G >Warm/Golden
N > Neutral, and NN
---BB> Beige
A > Ash
---AA> Intense Smokey Ash

Note: Intense tones RR, NN, BB, AA are HALF (in between) a tone, whole step.

With those then they can be Grey based (skewed), green based, "olive", blue, blue-violet, etc.
and do vary with a line/brand at different levels(light/B&W/Luminance). For more natural looking tones.

The (Deep) blue food color drops works (for light brown and dark blond levels needing cooler tone, higher level blonds use purple, actually deeper violate to banish opposite brass tones).

Recommended drops are 15 per 1oz of the colorant only (not mixed). 30 drops with a 2oz color dye kit. And that is 1 drop per 10ml; for easy, small batches on things like (all 100% Grey) sideburns only. So 5 drop for 10ml of the color then add your 10ml developer and mix well. And that will move you down the tone list (above) one notch.

This is good because the inexpensive, and fresher (major) store kits do not have a lot of AA offerings.

WARNING: If one was doing a permanent, regular lift, store hair color kit (20V developer) (not Demi at about 10V) and on existing uncolored hair (instead of more than 50% grey) then the 20V usually lifts (hair underneath) 1 level *and* that also makes you one more tone level warmer, to correct. So twice as much blue corrector in the mix.

WHAT TO USE WHERE:

For those who want total Grey coverage (max youthful, not "blended"[yet]) and like me, have all 100% Grey areas (my Burns plus) and the mostly the rest needing no coloring (then don't there!), and some natural color with LESS than 25% Grey (I have just a little interleaved Grey, under 25%, on top, some) then we should treat them all differently....

A > Use permanent on 100% (or close) patches, require for full Grey coverage. So it better match and be it's natural level higher or lower, across you hair lightness level 3D contrasts. Then if you have SOME other Grey less than the 25% you could decide to pull the hair color through the rest of your hair for just 5 minutes. This reduces any minor tone differences to keep it REAL. Thus not messing up your colored natural hair(later).

B > Or you could use a demi on any INTERLEAVED, less than about 25% Grey areas; a demi does not lif of your hair. Keeping it a separate application from any permanent on other 100% Grey areas.

Choosing a permanent color level and tone for 100% Grey patches is easier, as you basically get what's on the box TOP for Grey hair. Put it up to your hair in the same light, for a match. Not having to consider how it would blend darker, with your natural hair(That you LEAVE ALONE).

Choosing a Demi for less than 25% (or blending with less than 50%) needs to consider what you want the GREY Interleaved hair to become, inside your non-Grey hairs. So the same or one level lighter (leaving colored ones darker, like JFM and lighter shade) and more 3D dimension (not flat color) hair. And this may be different than any permanent color selected for all, or mostly Grey areas. NOTE: It's tough to find a cool shade of Demi color and remember; a Demi (following directions) does not lift levels. It can fix you to darker however. But never go to dark, for you! So a Demi is dark Blond at the highest, for Grey (blend) coverage (Note the JFM line). If you stop Demi applications then it fades back (almost) to what you were. Not so with permanent; it grows back. Which for short hair (and regular cuts) is not much different.

So again; matching matters on Guys. At least to look natural or NOT like you color your hair. That's what all this is about. The main point I'm adding today is to treat different problem across your hair differently. If you need to and how to match them. Do not try to use one box for everything; *if* you can't and get what you want. Just get two things.

Not unlike shaving across your face in custom ways.

These are the details for you to get it done; should you need them and theses full Grey coverage goals. *and* not looking like you color. So about 20 years younger looking!

And still Grey is great and I will rock it; but not yet, for me. Do nothing if you want. Blend can be cool. For mine it's young again.
And I'm still progressing on my wifes hair too; it looks like Mrs. America hair. Grey patch on top and interleaves GONE. Finally got the COOLEST AA tone (Yes on her too, coincidentally). After major pulls red. Matches her skin and eyes are popping. Unevenness fade fixed. Root area slightly darker as natural. Doing face highlights next.

At this point I'd look at the Revlon box kit line for permanent. Make what ever they don't offer, out of two others. As you need. Including adding blue food color; if you happen to need AA. Make it happen!

CORRECTION: Use 1 drop blue food color per 2ml and that is the 5 drops per 10ml of color (dye only), to be mixed with 10ml developer, to make 20ml of (one step) cooler (AA), ready to apply hair color. Enough for burns+.

Thst's CHEAP! Revlon kit are about $2.88. About six separate side burn applications every 6 weeks. Maybe 4 week with really short hair and growth needing new application (just before haircut).

$2.88 + food color a YEAR! LOL

I get my hair "tinted" (prob the same thing someone else called a demi). It fades gradually and it never looks like i have my hair colored (its always some phase of salt and pepper). At my stylists recommendation i use just for men control gx to slow the fade. My wife likes it and thats really the deciding vote.

Fine business. That's great. But you're likely light brown or darker. Where the sooty looking control GX works fine for you. And you enjoy a mixed Grey look. Glad all is well. Keeping the Grey where you want it and even side to side also.

If one wanted full Grey coverage from JFM then it has to be their Auto Stop (JFM says). Use their shade selector (carefully) to pick the right one for you. It will pick the next lightest shade above here you are without Grey. Avoiding the dreaded to dark look. But it cost more for less.

My writing would help an all Grey (100% or close) section, with a modern no-ammonia permanent color there. Where somebody wants it to COMPLETELY go away. No touch of Grey. And that has to match.

And if you ALSO have ANOTHER area mixed (less than 50% Grey); don't be afraid to find a demi match (level lighter and tone exactly) at much better value; whether or not is says it's for men. *And* some food color if you happen to be AA intense ash (the coolest).

Beware "ash" and "cool" (names, words) are used for all manner of less warm selections, haphazardly, loosely sometimes. Like some boxes say "cooler" but it's A not AA; so it's just pointing out it is under neutral toned; when put over white Grey.

So if you were level/tone 7AA(7.11, 7AV, some say 6) Dark Intense Blond (Bond Blond BTW; 007, as Clairol calls it) then if you buy the easily available 7A (AKA; Dark Ash Blonde, 6A Wella) then you have to add blue to get it to match your other 7AA hair; when you put it only on the Grey patches/burns. If you were putting it on hair that has warmth it from another coloring dye/lifting (from lower level) you have to compensate cooler. But if your color hair(sections) were lifted to high a level, then going darker (with a Demi recommended) would cool it also. One could wind up with a hit of cooler color correction, a step cooler than what you could find to buy easily, another step per each level raised or raising, and more steps added to those; to fight warmth there before coloring. Such as warmth from past coloring dye (left) need compensation also. Dye can not lift Dye. Dye still there will mix.

Work at getting your exact level and tone named precisely; before your start and DIY. With boxes in the store and a mirror you can match them, in whatever weird lighting temperature is available in the store. But they are keyed on Daylight temperature about 6500 Kelvin. Daylight bulbs for your bath are a little cooler. Like a partly cloudy day. Don't judge results (make choices) by old regular warm bulbs. Do remember to compare in the same light trick. They look way darker, or lighter or cooler or warmer in the stores. And the Internet pictures are NOT usually color balanced and your monitor may vary as well; if not calibrated. A lot of cell phones have IPS type screens however, that are color balanced

If you have interleaved Grey it may look cooler than it is/was. Match your tone to natural undamaged areas that may have no Grey's and it will match your skin and eyes.

Rememberer not to flatten all your hair micro levels. Note what variations you had and emulate that. Use a modern 3D hair to hair, not flat color *and* use a highlight and low light color if needed. You can use some timing as well; but Do NOT alter the instruction timing in any way not allowed. Don't under or over cook. Neither works well.

Last edited:
Hello Grey stampers! 10+ years younger looking for pennies.

I wrote a lot to cover different color hair; but this mainly to erase grey side burns. ALL Grey spots. But you can also rinse the color/dev through for the last 7m to hide LESS than 50 inter dispersed hairs, if you like. It is best to leave well enough areas alone and partially color out Greys. That's why I told how to match level and tone. And even added that you probably want subtle light variations (not dead flat) in levels across your hair.

Fresh Revlon $2.88 kits are difficult to beat. And when you match (your non-Greys) it's the best thing to do. You're basically DONE for 2 months! Or 1 month on some. And the way I wrote, not too bad even then; where you can simply do a 20m application again. It's all about repeatability, or where it ends up before the next coloring.

The blue food color drops are OPTIONAL, "extra credit". Only if you can't get your hair cool in tone, enough. I bought an 8oz bottle cheap and that will last me about 5 life times. I just CAREFULLY squeeze and refill the little food dropped bottle. The one with pointy cone like lids. Basic Easter egg, food coloring kits. My rule of thumb now is 3 drops per 5ml. This would make an A color kit like AA; which they do not normally sell. Thus: The blue drops. This will make your overall Revlon kit level slightly darker; but not by much. And you decide if this will be part of you kit color dye amount or the drops on top of your amount. Where the peroxide cream developer mixed in gets equal part/amount. Just be consistent each time.

I let my gray burns grow out (since March '21) a little bit, ending last month (June end) and with burn trimming I finally got tired of my burns being washed out, with no contrast to my face. I did a 5ml (just the dye then the included +5ml 20V dev and 6 drops) mix to 6.5AA? equivalent. I've learned to keep the little side burn hairs from poking up and getting drier than what's closer to the skin; by keep the wet gel mix thicker, and combing it through, to keep EVERY strand wet from start to finish. Per exacting directions; including 5 more minutes for the thicker greys. With double Blue drops got cool; but not too much and turned out really well. More even and a cool match to my natural color. It's surprising how much younger it looks.

I have pics 10+ years ago with my burns looking older! Of course; better hair is just one thing. Workout, eat right, shave(GREY beard for me) with DE, etc...

Oh, this stuff sure was nice, at home, for me and the wife during the pandemic!

I did some covid cuts too; which I usual don't. Finally glad to go to the barber and got a new person. They failed! LOL. Now I have the option of continuing to cut it my self. It just proves it's not the barber shop, it's the barber. I usually always say nope, and get the person I want to cut my hair. But this time I tried and failed with a new one. I fixed one side MYSELF.

Trust PEACE and Stay cool!

Last edited:
Top Bottom