What's new

Just For Men?

I don't know if it's taboo for men to talk about hair coloring, but does anyone use this product?

I find myself soon to be out of a job and on the hunt. In preparation, I'm going to be shaving off the goatee and I was thinking about trying to cover up my grays. I don't have tons and they are widely spread about, but they certainly aren't unnoticeable.

Anyway, I've never used it before but I was just wondering if anyone else did and if you had any tips or tricks or any other suggestions (other than what the directions will say).

Thanks!

-Shawn

I used it a while back, and, while I can't speak for everyone, personally, I think this product works well--it lasted through to my next haircut, which was ~6-8 wks later. Here's my advice, for what it's worth: Follow the directions on the box to the T, they're pretty specific. Also, use a shade lighter than you think you'll need, and go fairly light at first--you can always add more later. And don't get the dye on anything as it's tough to get out. Again, for me, this stuff worked well, but I only used it once, so I can't speak for the drying effect on the hair, etc.

Honestly, there's no reason not to use a women's hair color. There's more variety and I've heard the appearance is better.

I use Clairol Nice N' Easy Gray Solution.

Very helpful if you have a partner to help in its application. As the other guy said, you might want to try a shade lighter than you'd think and leave it in a little shorter than you'd calculate for the first time.

- Chris

Go to a salon and get then to apply a demi which last around 6 to 8 weeks.

It won't strip your hair.

What's a 'demi' and how much does it run? Anytime my wife gets anything done with color, she walks about with at least a $100 bill. I'd rather keep it cheap, especially without a job.

Thanks for all the info Chris and Coughdrop. I'll keep all that in mind. My hair is very oily, so if it is drying, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing. So, does the Nice N' Easy Gray Solution work the same way, where it pretty much just colors the gray hairs and not all over?

Thanks for all the info Chris and Coughdrop. I'll keep all that in mind. My hair is very oily, so if it is drying, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing. So, does the Nice N' Easy Gray Solution work the same way, where it pretty much just colors the gray hairs and not all over?

It claims to, but, honestly, you can make everything way too dark if you're not careful.

It comes with enough conditioner to last you for a couple of months, used once a week and the total bill's less than $15.

I agree with 82R100, and I speak from experience. I initially began covering my gray with Just for Men, but I've since reaized there are far better options, at a far better price.

Firstly, Just for Men is (or was) "Semi-Permanent". This means it will wash out over time. This also means it will not color your hair uniformly if your hair is only partially gray. Your grays may no longer be gray, but they will still be lighter than the rest of the hair that wasn't gray. After about 8 shampoos, you can expect the hair become noticeably light.... if not earlier. If this is the look you're going for, then so be it, but your hair will never be all one color with semi-permanent - or at least not for very long.

While I don't particularly care for Clairol Nice & Easy, I will say you're crazy to use a product "marketed" specifically for men. I put "marketed" in quotes because the truth is, the product itself isn't engineered any differently than that of a traditional women's product - there's just less product, less conditioner, and fewer color varieties to choose from. Oh, and despite the fact that there's less product in a box of men's coloring, don't expect it to be any less inexpensive.

My advice - if you're looking for long-lasting gray coverage that will bring your hair back to one uniform color, go with a good quality PERMANENT hair color, and yes... the one "with a lady on the box". :mellow: Trust me, it's the way to go. Be sure to have some petroleum jelly or heavy moisturizer on-hand. You'll want to apply it to the skin close to the hairline as to avoid staining of the skin. Personally, I prefer to dye a day or two before getting a haircut. My hair is short, and I have found the dye adheres to longer hair better than short hair.

Call up a local salon and ask them if they use Redken's "Color Camo." If they say yes, set up an appointment and get it done.

I've tried Just For Men and very expensive permanent colors; nothing comes close to the natural appearance and ease of Color Camo. (Make sure they THICKEN it first.)

They just apply it to your hair. You sit and watch TV or read for about 15 minutes. Then they wash your hair. Good to go. Excellent product.

You might want to go to a hairdressing school for the first bit and observe how they do it just to have a better idea how to proceed at home. Also using one solid colour all over can look fake as real hair is not just a brown but various tones to make a brown.

Having one solid colour can look too obvious especially with regrowth. I would suggest hi lights as it can be put throughout the hair and has less regrowth showing and you can go for a longer time in between colourings.

Another suggestion but it has a huge learning curve and is messy and smelly is using henna powder. If you have dark hair you dont have to do a good job at it as the colour doesnt really show up unless in bright daylight and it's just a subtle tint. There is a double process of covering gray as I think you do a henna first and the day after an indigo to cover gray. It is also very time consuming but it fades out instead of regrowth. I saved lots doing it this way at home.

You can learn more about it at www.hennasooq.com or at lush.com for their henna bricks.

Go to a professional - they are better at matching your hair color. As you get old a little gray is fine. If an older fellow has no gray at all - well, it is easy to spot a dye job.

I am using JFM every other haircut or so. I actually like that instead of completely coloring the gray it actually changes it to a much darker barely nticable shade. This allows me not to worry that it would be very obvious. I actually had Color Camo done in the salon a few times and found that I get exactly the same result with JFM at home for much cheaper. Anything stronger would be too much for my taste.

Why not leave it alone? Trust me, once you start using that junk, it's difficult to quit. If you later decide to quit the color and let it grow out, you have two toned hair. "Someone" convinced me to color mine, (I won't mention names, but she said her mom would really like it). Lots of colors to choose from, which is fun but I'm sorry I did it.

If you wash your hair every day, semi-permanent will be gone in about half the time given on the box. If you use permaenent, you will have to touch up in about two weeks depending on the rate your hair grows.

How often you need a haircut will give a good approximation. If your hair is very short at the sideburns and temples, (razor cut) even sooner.

If you go ahead with color, make sure you use a shampoo for color-treated hair. Never use Head and Shoulders shampoo unless you went too dark then lather H&S heavily and leave it in for about 15 minutes, bye-bye color.

Don't use too dark, it looks like Dracula :)
Sue

I use it
If it makes you feel better, just go for it.
Find it 2 be very good quality and takes only 5 minutes to get the job done

OK, so I tried the "Touch of Gray" stuff instead of the Just For Men.

Way better, IMO. Works a lot like the Color Camo at the salon. It's a bit messy, but pretty simple. Have somebody around to help you make sure you get it to all of your hair. It won't color all of your gray no matter what, so you can't end up looking really fake.

As far as how effects on my hair, if anything it seems to make my hair seem softer, and the effect lasts for a couple of weeks.

I wash my hair vigorously every day with a shampoo bar, and the color doesn't last as long as the box says, but it's still less expensive than the Color Camo done at a professional salon.

1. Wearing your Gray proudly is one good solution. The following is what to do; when that does not work for you.

2. While I can't guarantee anything; I'd say today's health risks are minimal and on par with "all natural" or DIY hair color kits. This depends on what you use (and following directions to a "T"). Plus more.

3. This all depends on where you are starting and what you want. Level, Gray %, original color (darker with age), hair health, sensitivity etc... Also what looks "right" is subjective (but not infinitively). In other words, false expectations will look funny. Generally the look needs to match you skin and eyes. The level, 3D effect and huge needs to hit the mark exactly. The big three. I got you covered dudes!

4. Often overlooked is... what about next month? What then? I got this.

5. With guys especially; we can't get away with wild looks and say that it's natural. We DO NOT want to look processed. I can help. For me looking natural and all those elements are what it's all about.

I'll stop here to say I'm a scientist type exponentially. I had to walk my wife through cancer, (my) shaving her head and eventually stepping in to learn this stuff in order to get her natural youthful hair back! She had trouble with boxed (great stuff) color results and agreed to let me be her (lets say very macho) stylist. So this is our story. Guess what I got from the deal? Grey sideburns (keep your "bad" stress low as you can). Now, I can help you NOT make mistakes. The fall-back of going to an expensive pro (monthly) may sound safest; but 50% of the time the results are not favorable to the client *and* they sometimes act like coloring is a state secret. (I wonder why?) ESPECIALLY for guys asking. I said hell no! I learned all this stuff anyway. It's COMPLICATED. So you are blessed. I have some real and tried tips for you....

I love DE shaving BTW. I just thought this thread needed updating.

This could become an encyclopedia so I'll switch to step by step mode and have to hope this works for most of you.

A. Like most, my side burns went Grey (and most beard but the chin interleaved. I shave instead of coloring the beard) . It seems like the TYPICAL Grey pattern goes from the bottom up. Interleaved Grey (on top) is a different problem. Interleaved can be treated with the EXACT left over color and with both I recommend demi-permenant. It's true that "ladies" hair color isn't. Hair is hair. Now you might think "permanent" color would better cover interleaved Grey; but it will grow-out with a Grey root line and that's if you perfectly match the left over natural color. Demi will fade gracefully and does note remove your color at the core of your hair. It also uses less peroxide concentration; which contrary to many beliefs is the main thing to limit. Thus the HEALTH of your hair look natural too. Both less peroxide and only about once a month. Now back to PATCHES of Grey only. The trick is matching the color to the rest of your hair. Usually darker (level) on the burns. Especially since light brown or darker (maybe toward dark-blond for some) is needed to cover Grey well(lasting). So permanent is not permanent on roots that have not grown out.

B. So if you don't know all the temporary (semi to some) stuff is too cumbersome because it doesn't last. However you could find your color match with them. Since I told you what's wrong with permanent (Tip: Revlon says permanent; but it's more of a demi) you're going to get the most trouble free look you're after by 20 mins a month with a demi. Which one?

Natural Instincts or Revlon. Most in a Light (ash/cool/brass-free) Brown. Where "light brown" is not a lighter-level than "dark blond" and not necessarily Crayola/Reddish Brown! BTW: with coupons and sales these are $2 to $4 a box with conditioner. Since ladies have long hair; you can get many treatments out of one box!

C. Levels: Think B&W levels. Most go from Dark Brown, Med Brown, "Light" Brown and "Dark" Blond, etc.... Unless you are black headed (still technically all hair is a version of a brown). You see... hair get darker every decade so Grey and high blond is rare. It's tricky to dye Grey to a higher matching blond and make that last. It fails the natural test (usually). I say this because we are discussing covering Grey. There are other levels and shades. Numbers are assigned to theses levels but they vary by one number on different brands. "Light brown" can be a 6, 5 or even 50. There's no regulation. Go by the BACK chart on the box and in very bright white mid-day (sunlight) lighting.

D. 3D dimensions. Natural hair is not flat! Demi naturally has less flat dimension; because it coats, rather than replaces completely the color. The hue can be different; but different hairs take color differently and that's what you want. You can get by without adding gaudy prominent highlights. Which, this closer spaced 3D-level dimensional contrast looks more natural; on every one, It's a requirement for older people and all men; in my estimation. A matter of taste of not. Youts go crazy; but granddad... don't go purple hazed. Please.

E. Finally the overlooked. You got to get the hue right; not just the level. The right hue can look somewhat like a different level BTW. This is the hard part. Don't forget; you can do a strand test on an unsuspecting inch of hair. Do it. Maybe grow your side burns a little longer and cut it a little shorter if it fails the test. The "color wheel" difficultly is you might want to add some drops of food color (same stuff) to AMEND you known box color. Everything is accuracy knowing what your hair (differing sections) is now. Not was, but is and including if it has color added. So what is your non-Grey color there now; if any? With Grey, then your going to get what's on the box (if dark blond box or darker). The other is tricky. Natural hair and colored hair is going to go to it's peroxided undertone (not as much with demi); but you will not see that, as the box simultaneously adds its COUNTER balancing color. That's fine on Grey and OK with demi; but this is one reason you want to target the color God gave you (before Grey with is absence of color to degrees). Remember it needs to match you eyes and skin (either cool or warm shades), demi does not replace and it covers and so will fade toward where it was and MAINLY, you don't want to pull "brassy" just before you reapply about a month later. Especially if you are cool...

F. If you have blue veins and blue eyes then you're cool. If you tan well with warm tone skin and brown eyes then you're warm and can do "golden" browns and such. The point is... the darker ones level (not color or hue) is the more they will pull "red" (hue) and can be called yellowish, red tinted or brassy. What was originally cool medium brown can't be a cool (two levels up) "light" brown and even if you use a recommended ash/cool/non-brass light brown kit; because two levels up pulls more Red. If you buy a cool "dark"-blond kit then that's only cool over a (level of the) dark blonds(peroxided undertone). A darker level undertone requires a cooler mixture. Long story short: Stick to your natural level (and all for your age). Going lighter REQUIRES adding some drops of food color and *if* you want a cooler matching hue. Bottom line is a (very short hair could use 1/4 box for whole head, side burns LESS) a HALF box (color and peroxide) would start adding 10 (to 40) drops of green if you are/have mid brown (example) and want a (cool/ash less reddish) "light-brown" level. Another example: A dark blond going to mid-blond would add Violate to counter yellow brassiness. MOST IMPORTANTLY cooler skin folks should only buy ash or brass free; because it will still be to reddish. If you buy neutral to warm or golden (even SOME champagne) then OPPS you can not counter the Reds. You'll have to enjoy the ginger look and for the darker hair dudes a mahogany. NOT good for guys that are cool toned. Just get the Loreal color remover (it cheaper for what it does and you will see you funky undertone this way) WITH another correct (level this time) color kit; but that's like coloring to much and is very BAD for hair. You can't keep doing that! At least guys are bless with (very) short styles and can grow anew faster. Not to worry; because if you are listening you will not have to do even that. Ask me how I know this? LOL. Do I have this problem now? No. A very professional high-end barber could not tell my side burns were colored.

G. For me, my side burns used to (before Grey) look light-brown so darker (and cool tone), compared to my dark-ash(cool)-blond hair. My wife was dark to mid brown, now sporting a very natural Light brown. Even my picky teens say it's natural (and to stick with that). My side burns (and slightly above them to sort of behind the ears) are now easily made BACK to 20 years ago! The coolness blends perfectly. I go slightly darker ("light" brown") because it fades up to "dark"-blond by the time I do another 20-30 (max in direction for Grey) mins. I do not do my whole head unless you count the quick rinse-out to blend well. For that I use the Revlon "50" Light ASH Brown mixing only 8ml (4ml each) and adding (a lot) 9 drops to cool it more. I apply with an old tooth brush (just side burn Grey) and time it carefully. Grey (and side) is thicker and harder to color. You may find it opens-up better and takes the color better the second time. Use the max time on Grey; but no more. Thin hair would take the color darker!

Do not skip the skin test.

Top Bottom