What's new

Just back from London.

Hello everyone,

I have just returned from my second trip to London. Arrived on Wednesday, with a spectacular concert on Thursday evening leaving Friday and a short while on Saturady to explore the sights and various attractions London has to offer. One such attraction was visiting Piccadilly, which is highly reccomended if anyone ever does the London thing.

I had intended to visit Trumpers, Taylors, Truefitt, and DR Harris on Friday but due to it being good Friday/Easter only Taylors was open. Still a great experience though, I didn't buy anything in Taylors but the visit alone was worth it to see all the wonderful items they have on display, including a lot of stuff not on their website!

Roll on Saturday, and lowe and behold all aforementioned stores were open! I first had a look around Turmpers at some beautiful leather and canvas washbags, then on to Truefitt to browse the range of Simpsons brushes they have in stock. I had intended on buying a Simpsons Duke 2 in pure badger, however none of the 3Ts had this in pure - only best badger which I wasn't overly keen on buying (I like stiffer, more dense and scratchy brushes). So I walked on and grabbed some lunch - a wonderful cesear salad in a posh cafe and on the way just happened to stumble accross the DR Harris store. I had a chance to sample their amazing soaps - the scent that grabbed me the most was the Arlington shave soap, I ended up buying this in the light wood bowl - can't wait to try this out!

This basically left me only about half an hour to catch my train to Heathrow airport, so in a semi-frantic rush I found a small family owned store selling likes of Proraso, Muhle etc. Stuck my head in the door and asked if they happened to sell the Duke 2 in pure - and they did! So I walked away with a brand new Simpsons brush to play with - my first ever Simpsons, so excited!

So basically that rounds off my trip to London and all the wonderful things it has to offer. Oh I almost forgot, whilst waiting in the airport I decided to read into the history of Simpsons brushes - turns out they were originally manufactured in Clapham, which was the area I had stayed in - funny yea?

Apologies for the length of this, but I hope this might help anyone thinking of visiting London in the near future.

Peace out!

R.

thx for the report! congrat's on your finds!
i wonder if the shop where you found your simpson, was carlo anichini's?
right along the picadilly arcade, i could not resist going in when I was there in March!
great display of brushes, also scuttles and mugs, in addition to lots of Proraso.

$carlos brushes.jpg

thx for the report! congrat's on your finds!
i wonder if the shop where you found your simpson, was carlo anichini's?
right along the picadilly arcade, i could not resist going in when I was there in March!
great display of brushes, also scuttles and mugs, in addition to lots of Proraso.

View attachment 438690

Yes sarimento1, that's exactly the place! It's a great place with the most friendly staff and a great selection.

Thanks,

R

I used to visit london often and even lived there for a while but since wet shaving I havnt visited the place. I am itching to go there tbh. Cheers for the write up, I cant wait till its my turn :001_smile

As cool as Trumpers on Curzon is, I still confess to loving the crazy amount of product on display at Taylor's. Also, I've received better shaves at Taylor's than Trumpers the last few times I've had them.

Thanks for your post rmac--very timely. I'll be in London in three weeks.

How were the prices?

Hi Steve,

The prices for the most part pretty much matched what is on each of the 3Ts websites. A couple of items I noticed though weren't on said sites - for example I found a really nice looking but very small leather dopp/shave bag in Taylors that was over £100! I know leather is expensive but for the size of the bag...

Anyway, rant over lol

As cool as Trumpers on Curzon is, I still confess to loving the crazy amount of product on display at Taylor's. Also, I've received better shaves at Taylor's than Trumpers the last few times I've had them.

Totally agree, the displays at Taylors are mighty impressive, I was blown away by the range of stock they had. I found Trumpers to be a bit more conservative in that sense, with most everything behind glass cabinets.

Top Bottom