What's new

Jays Journal

I am really considering giving a fountain pen a go. So many options tho hard to decide!
You should. If you have never written with one you should. It is so much smoother than anything else. There are many very good affordable fountain pens. Like a pilot metropolitan, lamy safari, Kaweco sport. Let me know if you have any questions. Your can also check out "the nib" here in B&B. Many fountain pen users here on B&B.

1-6-24 Saturday
Shave 2/366

Razor: Overlander
Blade: Perma-sharp (2
Soap: RR Blue Barbershop
Brush: APshaveco G5C
Pre: Non

Kind of a crazy week. No shave since Tuesday!
3 1/2 days growth didn't stand a chance.

3 full passes left me BBS, a 5/5 shave!

Jay

You should. If you have never written with one you should. It is so much smoother than anything else. There are many very good affordable fountain pens. Like a pilot metropolitan, lamy safari, Kaweco sport. Let me know if you have any questions. Your can also check out "the nib" here in B&B. Many fountain pen users here on B&B.
So I spent a couple days filling/emptying carts. Watching reviews...
Ordered a Lamy Safari (Charcoal) with fine nib. A couple packs of Lamy cartridges and a converter.
2 bottles of Monteverde ink, a couple Rodia pads and a Leuchtturm journal.

So I spent a couple days filling/emptying carts. Watching reviews...
Ordered a Lamy Safari (Charcoal) with fine nib. A couple packs of Lamy cartridges and a converter.
2 bottles of Monteverde ink, a couple Rodia pads and a Leuchtturm journal.
.... and you are off to another AD!

Just kidding great choice and I especially like the retro look of the Safari. Great you got some good paper since fountain pen inks do not do that well on some paper. Let me know how things go once you get it.

1-7-24 Sunday
Shave 3/366

Razor: Blackbird Lite
Blade: BIC cp (1)
Pre: Shower

Switching away from the trusty Overlander for a few shaves.
Pulled out the Blackbird with Lite plate and loaded it with a BIC.
A very different experience to Overlander, I can definitely feel more blade exposure. Also much heavier compared to the aluminum Overlander!
All in all a good shave, slightly more tingle from the splash but not unpleasant.

3 passes for DFS+++, 4.5/5
Jay

Last edited:
1-9-24 Tuesday 10am
Shave 4/300

Blade: BIC cp (2)

Second shave with the Blackbird Lite was basically a repeat of the last. 1 small weeper on my neck.
Skin is a touch tender, might be adding a bit too much pressure and going a bit to steep. Will focus more on that next time.

3 passes for DFS+++, 4.5/5
Jay

1-11-24 Thursday 10am
Shave 5/366

Blade: BIC cp (3)
Brush: APshaveco Mistura

Third shave with Blackbird and BIC felt smoother. Mistura knot continues to impress, soft and gentle yet nice and firm at the same time. Fantastic.

Only had time for a 2 pass shave today but ended up with a DFS+ result. 4/5

Jay

1-14-23 Sunday noon
Shave 7/366

Razor: 40's SuperSpeed
Blade: BIC cp (5)
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Brush: RR Bruce

Transfered the BIC from Blackbird over to my little used 40's SuperSpeed. Such a drastic change in blade feel. Actually gave myself a couple small weepers...to much pressure!
Loaded 28g of soap into a small lidded bowl the missus had laying around.

Overall 2 pass shave for DFS 4/5

Jay

1-16-24 Tuesday noon
Shave 8/366

Razor: Overlander
Blade: Perma-sharp (3)
Brush: APshave Mistura

Toilet and shower head both decided to fail this morning while the missus was getting ready to head out for the day. Crazy scramble to jury rig us into semi operation. Didn't have it in me to deal with any more surprises so, back to my Overlander and Perma-sharp combo. So so good.

3 passes took 2 days growth right back to DFS+++ a 4.8/5 shave.

Jay

It's a chitty job, but someone has to do it.

I've installed a few in a barn I lost in a divorce, that's another story. It isn't hard, but a tip was to use two wax rings to make it easier to set correctly. It is awkward more than anything, be careful not to strain anything while setting it.
Yep cannot stress that enough. Be careful how tight you make the flange nuts. Using two wax rings are good, if the height of the flange is a bit lower than it should be. If it is at the correct height there is no need for two.

It's a chitty job, but someone has to do it.

I've installed a few in a barn I lost in a divorce, that's another story. It isn't hard, but a tip was to use two wax rings to make it easier to set correctly. It is awkward more than anything, be careful not to strain anything while setting it.
Chitty job...LOL
Yep cannot stress that enough. Be careful how tight you make the flange nuts. Using two wax rings are good, if the height of the flange is a bit lower than it should be. If it is at the correct height there is no need for two.
Talked to my buddy about it. He has done a bunch of toilet replacements. He told me to get several wax rings when I get the new toilet. Its a bit of a drive to the nearest store!

Top Bottom