What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Damn new soaps! We are facing the same thing at the same time. I have that issue with my Crann Bethadh. I really wanted to like the soap. I tried a different soap from the same manufacturer and was fine, so I am thinking its a fragrance thing. Hopefully the other two RR pucks work for you!
Thanks, Andrew. I may try the others down the road if I build up some more courage. I hope your soap and skin issues also resolve themselves soon.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Uncle Kim @Phoenixkh, I seem to be in the same boat as you and need to go down the river of unscented soaps. I prefer hard pucks over soft soaps and croaps. Do you have any favorite unscented pucks that I need to check out?
I would check Amazon...... if you are a Prime member. The shipping from Canada is $15... Too much for me... I just checked and it's out of stock at the moment. That is the only hard puck unscented soap I have....

In a pinch, I also like Mike's unscented and Stirling Unscented with Beeswax... but both are croaps... in between hard pucks and creams. You could load from the tub with either, I think.. but I scoop/scrape into a shaving bowl as opposed to face lathering.

Jay21

I would check Amazon...... if you are a Prime member. The shipping from Canada is $15... Too much for me... I just checked and it's out of stock at the moment. That is the only hard puck unscented soap I have....

In a pinch, I also like Mike's unscented and Stirling Unscented with Beeswax... but both are croaps... in between hard pucks and creams. You could load from the tub with either, I think.. but I scoop/scrape into a shaving bowl as opposed to face lathering.
Thanks, Kim. The Sterling has caught my eye. I may have to order a puck and stick it in a mug.

I’m going to try the bees wax. I’m not sure if I react to lanolin or fragrance, but that eliminates both, so two birds, one stone.
I think it's the best soap they make, frankly although the sheep tallow base is pretty great too. In addition to the great performance I like that it leaves my skin feeling neutral. A good all-season soap for me and I can change my postshave depending on what my skin needs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Beeswax is one of my favorites and it lasts a while. Kim, have you tried Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal? I haven't but I was impressed by their base...though it goes quick the way I load.
I have some Incorporeal... It's very, very nice. I've been 3017ing my Canada Shaving Soap... I'm just about through it.... First one I've finished since I started wet shaving a little over 2 years ago. I need to get back to the Incorporeal.

Jay21

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Fendrihan Lavender and Sandalwood, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: Baili TTO
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Old Spice and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: maybe some tingles (not from this shave)
Result: CCS (stubble ATG on neck)

This morning I used Fendhrihan Lavender and Sandalwood soap, which I had no problems with in the past. However, I had tingles during this shave. I can't tell if I still have lingering irritation from What the Puck or if the scents in the Fendrihan are now a trigger. What's odd is I seem to sensitive to several scents now, which I don't recall being universally sensitive to in the past. It's even more odd that I'm not sensitive to Arko, which is a scent grenade. I'll look into buying the Fendrihan soap in their unscented variety because the lather is rather good and I like it. I might have to switch to canned goo for a bit because I know that does not irritate my face. Or, at least it didn't. My skin is all worked up right now and I really need it to settle down.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: Fendrihan Lavender and Sandalwood, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: Baili TTO
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Old Spice and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: maybe some tingles (not from this shave)
Result: CCS (stubble ATG on neck)

This morning I used Fendhrihan Lavender and Sandalwood soap, which I had no problems with in the past. However, I had tingles during this shave. I can't tell if I still have lingering irritation from What the Puck or if the scents in the Fendrihan are now a trigger. What's odd is I seem to sensitive to several scents now, which I don't recall being universally sensitive to in the past. It's even more odd that I'm not sensitive to Arko, which is a scent grenade. I'll look into buying the Fendrihan soap in their unscented variety because the lather is rather good and I like it. I might have to switch to canned goo for a bit because I know that does not irritate my face. Or, at least it didn't. My skin is all worked up right now and I really need it to settle down.
My face sensitivity to scents seemed to come out of nowhere. I'd never had an issue. I had a severe outbreak of psoriasis when I was in my middle 50s. I had red pocks all over my back... I wish I had had my wife take some photos. It looked like something out of a medical journal. I had no idea what it was... neither did my doctor... He thought it must be an odd fungus infection, but the biopsy confirmed it was psoriasis. It never did affect my face until I started getting red bumps and significant general redness from scented soaps..... years later. I started wet shaving in February of 2022, just a few months before I turned 69.. Those skin issues didn't show up until April... but could have been late March. I'd have to go back and check.

In an odd way, that's saved me some money. I don't have to try all the varieties of soap scents for a particular base I like... It keeps all those trials off the table.

Top Bottom