What's new

Japanese razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A weakness of the argument is you are assuming this guy is a master with this type of razor. How do you know that? How difficult is it to find a barber in the U.S who is competent with a straight? Yea his father was a barber and he is but there are plenty of guys like that in the U.S who aren't too hot when it comes to shaving.

Also, notice how high an angle he uses during most of the shave? Another issue for me is he uses the same razor to trim hair as for shaving without even stropping the razor. In the U.S back in the day barbers used a different razor for hair trimming then they did for shaving. Cutting hair dulls a razor pretty fast compared to shaving.

Big, I was just trying to bring some actual facts into this discussion. And I don't understand why you're calling the barber an amateur when he's shaving the customer USING ONE SIDE ONLY, which is what you're saying is the only "correct" way to use the razor.

What I am saying is that, based on this video, it looks to me like the "shaving with one side only" technique makes sense only when the barber is able to change his position from one side of the person's face to the other. And so for this barber or any barber, using only one side of the blade makes sense. He stands on one side of the person's face and shaves one direction; then he moves to the other side of the person's face and shaves the other direction. He never changes the side of the razor he is using because he doesn't have to.

However, when you are shaving your own face (and assuming you're not ambidextrous), then you're stuck shaving the face from just one side. And that's when it makes sense to turn the blade over and use both sides of the kamisori. Otherwise, you are limited to shaving certain areas of the face using only XTG strokes, and that just can't be as effective as WTG/ATG passes.

But if this video doesn't work for you, then you can find some other videos or other sources showing what you think is the correct or traditional or proper way to use a kamisori. That's fair, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom