What's new

Jack Purcells by Converse. What a shame/Classic Sneakers

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@buffdaddy

The current model is definitely a step up from the previous make-up but definitely not as good as my “Mach I” version that had the insignia on the tongue (which was slightly padded) as well as padded around the ankle.

Nevertheless, I am quite happy with the current model. :thumbup1:
B56144DF-867D-4124-8E63-1C8078BD2202.jpeg

1656332736069.jpeg

You guys are very bad influences. 😎

After reading through this thread it got me looking at sneakers. I already had enough sneakers.....

About a week ago I went to the Converse outlet store in hopes of finding a pair of Jack Purcells. They only had one crazy looking pair that fit, but I learned I need a size 12 in Converse compared to a 13 in almost everything else. At the outlet I did buy my first pair of Chuck 70s. They're an army green color and I couldn't resist at $22.13!

I've also bought a pair of Sperry Top Siders Cloud CVOs in Navy Blue. Really like how these deck shoes look and they seem to be well made. Not a lot of padding, but they are surprisingly comfortable.

And those Jack Purcells? My size has been tough to find, but I have a pair coming from Nordstrom. 🤣

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

The Chuck 70s feel surprisingly different than the Jack Purcells. So far, liking the Jack Purcells better with my favorite parts being the feeling of stability when walking and the surprising softness of the canvas which feels luxurious in its own way. Between these two styles, the Chuck 70s might be better made though.

IMG_1001.JPG

Just going to throw this out here, but after owning several pairs of Jack Purcell's and JP2s, I much prefer my PF Flyer ground controls.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This is my first foray into a dressier sneaker. These are a pebble-grained sneaker from The Good Man Brand from The House of LR&C (Love, Respect & Care) which is the company started by the husband and wife team of Russell Wilson and Ciara.

The website states these sneakers run a 1/2 size large. I ordered a Size 11. Definitely roomy (I can get my index finger between my heel and the back of the sneaker) although a half size down may be snug unless going sockless (although I don’t think sockless is the move with these sneeks).

EBD6EA8B-644D-4847-BB6B-962431F931F2.jpeg

4F876D94-69C1-48D1-AB2C-8BCC6C244250.jpeg

86011A6C-99A6-490A-AC98-6657F89E0C1C.jpeg
50FB383C-BD3D-472F-8149-89113F40A99F.jpeg
E897AEC8-B57D-4B62-BA7F-AAFCB6C56D1D.jpeg

63222250-844A-4CB0-9542-587C47C4BA5D.jpeg

8B675959-640B-4D3B-A813-AF8B0A1CA374.jpeg

AB87E3DC-0DD6-425D-B653-C06869EF59A9.jpeg

Good Man Brand also offers a smooth leather version of this model (Legend London) with some two-tone accents as seen here:
11A4C8B7-ABCE-4A42-A09E-CFEEE0634064.jpeg

I like both styles but I went the pebble grain which, imo, adds a little character aside from adding texture.

Nice addition to wear to the office or a casual night out with Mrs. Gold. 😎

99DD865E-B905-49A2-9FD4-74CE44F8690E.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
They're sharp! How are the soles? I have a pair of Astorflex Chukka/Desert boots with a similar white sole...was hoping those boots would feel like a sneaker but they are surprisingly hard when walking.

Which Astorflex model do you have? I enjoy several Astorflex models and all are very comfortable.

Which Astorflex model do you have? I enjoy several Astorflex models and all are very comfortable.

I'm referring to the Evoflex. Link shows the style that I have on Huckberry....I bought mine maybe a couple years ago on clearance for something like $70. Haven't worn them yet, but hoping the Ettoflex boots that I recently bought will be more to my liking.

The Evoflex boots are beautifully made, but the white sole isn't as soft and comfortable as I was hoping. Can't say I find them unwearable, but my hopes were set by an old pair of Faconnable chukkas/desert boots that I think are somewhat more comfortable. The SeaVees Maslon sneaker/desert boot combo is comfier still. The Maslon's can be an absolute steal when picked up on clearance or from sites like shoebacca.com.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Patience… patience.

So I wore the Size 11 around the house for a few days while walking around on carpeted floors and wearing socks with a variety of thicknesses.

I still wasn’t sure if they were too big or not. Very comfortable in the toe box but also a tad too much heel slippage. So much so that the heel of my ankle socks would keep slipping down.

The only way to be sure was to order a Size 10.5. They arrived today and after trying them on and walking around for a bit, the 10.5 is definitely the keeper.

Now The House of LR&C doesn’t do exchanges so I had to buy a 2nd pair and will now return the Size 11.

Their customer service did send me another “First Time Buyer” code to use with the purchase of the second pair so that I still received a 10% discount (which is nice) as well as free shipping on purchases and returns.

They are indeed comfortable right out of the box but now I can wear them outside and begin the break-in process. :thumbup1:

97C17968-288B-48AC-95C2-3866FA4A64A1.jpeg
1EE3AA31-EAA5-4D5F-9492-209FD7A52B41.jpeg

Was at the Outlet Mall and couldn't resist stopping in the Converse Outlet to see what I might find. I'm probably way too old for these, but I bought these Chuck Taylor All Stars for about $22. The flames are surprisingly well executed, and my inner hot rodder couldn't resist. :laugh: Have only worn them in the house so far, but they are very light weight and my first impression is that they are more comfortable than the heavier, higher-quality Chuck 70s with my prescription orthotics in them.

IMG_1546.JPG

Converse by You custom Jack Purcells in Navy with white linings and heel stripe. First time I've had a pair of custom Converse and these took about two-and-a-half weeks from order to my door. Really, that's pretty amazing turn around. The canvas is a bit stiffer Duck-like material which appears very similar to what's used on my pair of green Chuck 70s. Really wish these were the same soft Twill as my "stock" black Purcells.

IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG

It took a while, but looking daily paid off and I finally found a pair of Jack Purcells in white leather in my size at Nordstrom. Delivered this morning. :001_cool:

IMG_2091.JPG

This is my first foray into a dressier sneaker.
Dressier sneakers, to be or not to be and their application if the latter, is probably worth a longer discussion, that I do not have time to write out just now.

I lately I have been liking all white leather low cut sneakers along the lines of knock offs of of Common Projects originals worn with dressier slacks and a shirt, tie, and maybe blazer/sports jacket. Very plain, though. Now I find myself thinking something the Beckett Simonon Reid sneaker in pebbled leather might be a nice thing to have. See Reid Sneakers - Pebbled - https://www.beckettsimonon.com/products/reid-sneakers-pebbled?variant=31931629928527 Or maybe something in the Good Man's above. I probably own too many BS branded shoes already. They do seem to give me good fit though. And I am not sure I like the colors. Not sure I want to go with black (I think a white sole is important) but the particular brown and tans they have do not seem appealing.

I am also thinking a thinner sole my be better in these types of shoes.

Any thoughts on colors and where you actually end up wearing these?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@The Knize

I just don’t know if I’m ready (now or ever) to wear these with a suit. Even with dressier pants, it doesn’t feel right for me.

I find myself wearing these pebbled-grain sneakers with dressier jeans or chinos. I would certainly entertain getting a white pair of the same style as the brown pebbled grain.

I’m also looking around as Thursday Boot Co, A/E and Velasca who also have some nice offerings.

@The Knize

I just don’t know if I’m ready (now or ever) to wear these with a suit. Even with dressier pants, it doesn’t feel right for me.

I find myself wearing these pebbled-grain sneakers with dressier jeans or chinos. I would certainly entertain getting a white pair of the same style as the brown pebbled grain.

I’m also looking around as Thursday Boot Co, A/E and Velasca who also have some nice offerings.
Thanks, Johnnie!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Dressier sneakers, to be or not to be and their application if the latter, is probably worth a longer discussion, that I do not have time to write out just now.

All my trainers have been slung. I'm a middle aged bloke with a walking stick, and a bit too much luggage around the midriff. There are zero circumstances where an athletic shoe would look right on me personally.

However, I have a few pairs of shoes that might as well be trainers, due to the comfort and excellent cushioning. They just look a bit more appropriate on a fat hairy cripple.

Walking boots/shoes:
IMG_20210809_151126_edit.jpg IMG_20210707_134926.jpg 1102658-a39c0e5d03eaec5b2a2a28c205a35fbd.jpg

Just as comfy as trainers, and as I get about on foot most of the time, they're perfectly appropriate as a regular daily shoe for me. Some of the local hills have houses with their kitchen window higher than their next door neighbour's upstairs windows, and I may well choose to take the park or canal towpath on my route across town, rather than all tarmac and slab. I'm not a guy who's only walking from the door of the building to his car.

If I need to be slightly dresser (yet still getting there on foot), I'll go for these suede boots, or the leather deck shoes I got from the same company. (Identical sole unit). I also have some brown leather shoes which are great for clocking up the miles in too, and are passable for smart-casual (chinos, cords etc)

1102661-b9339cd2279ec6e27326313b9ebede9f.jpg IMG_20211202_170348.jpg

For milling around in shorts, and not clocking up miles, I have these canvas cupsoles, and other pairs of deck shoes.

IMG_20210707_135240.jpg

All that said, we're I still a semi-athletic looking individual, I would have no issue whatsoever wearing trainers. I don't live in, work in, or frequent areas where I need a specific dress code to be accepted as a decent human being. I rarely have if I'm honest. Work was mainly safety shoes, even in my office roles, and leisure was typically outdoors based (hiking, camping or marine), or stagecraft (mostly rehearsals). I can brush up well when I need to, but that's exceedingly rare for me. I do have dress shoes and brogues, and wear them when I need to, but most days they are simply not appropriate footwear for me.

I think many expectations in terms of attire are fading out, not through lower standards, but through a greater acceptance of lifestyle diversity. If anyone ever asked me "what are you wearing that for?", I always had a good reason. I still have good reasons, but don't get asked the question anymore :)

Top Bottom